Best option for diesel engine upgrade 1980 BJ44 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image-0-02-06-1793320d74d5abcc4c2c8a765ad00ca3cb33ed728f58f91302ff6ec752c3798c-V.jpg
I live in Myanmar and drive a 1980 BJ44.
Some of the places I go are quite challenging with real bad or no roads, driving on shallow river beds and pretty steep climbs.
I sometimes feel that I could do with more engine power. My car is a 1980 BJ44 with original 1B diesel engine. I have upgraded the car a bit for better looks, with more to come.
Lots of used Toyota engines available in Myanmar(Burma), as well as Cummins.
My transmission is a 4 shift manual. I have installed new shocks and lifted the car about 1 feet.
What would be a good engine to install for more power and more comfort when on highways. Overtaking is not safe and with lots of slow trucks on the road a bigger engine would be safer.
View attachment 1446732

Thor from Burma

image-0-02-06-768effa08b0c6bf81ae39e5af7a916eacc84691f06ce85536d2dddcf7fe45f41-V.jpg

I recently installed a turbo on my B engine and it makes a noticeable difference. It's a pretty simple almost bolt on upgrade except for a weld in bung and some exhaust mods.

I pretty much gained a gear on steep hills where before I often had to gear down to first I can easily do in second now.

The main reason I tried it was no engine swap, no adapter or motor mount issues, etc etc.

I went with Keith's kit discussed previously on numerous other posts.

Thor specifically which Toyota engines are available there? The 13/15BT would be very good canidates if available, or my personal favorite would be a 12HT. But that could be a lot of work with B motor mounts to contend with.

image-0-02-06-690c40fc96a7828b3ef301d6868cfd0dd7e755d548c69e6f0afd5fc2e34ea539-V.jpg

Thor specifically which Toyota engines are available there? The 13/15BT would be very good canidates if available, or my personal favorite would be a 12HT. But that could be a lot of work with B motor mounts to contend with.

The most popular cars in Myanmar are Toyotas and in particular Lancruisers.
The cars are very expensive due to extreme import tax. But spareparts or used engines are cheap. (A 2007 Landcruiser Prado have a market price of 70-80.000 USD !!!).
So I got a car that nobody wants, a good old BJ44, which i find very cool and affordable, 8000USD.
My B engine runs perfect and is the original one.
I assume every type of engine models are out there, but since this is not my field of expertise i need to seek advise. 95% of the cars here have automatic gearbox, so it needs to fit my 4 gear manual gearbox or i upgrade that one too.

Mechanical workshops do work very cheao here, but the challenge would be parts mods are needed. Guess best option is to use something that fits current setup ?

I recently installed a turbo on my B engine and it makes a noticeable difference. It's a pretty simple almost bolt on upgrade except for a weld in bung and some exhaust mods.

I pretty much gained a gear on steep hills where before I often had to gear down to first I can easily do in second now.

The main reason I tried it was no engine swap, no adapter or motor mount issues, etc etc.

I went with Keith's kit discussed previously on numerous other posts.

A turbo upgrade sounds like a good option too. Will follow lead on the other threads about this.
Its still a 4 cyl engine with vibrations and a bit noisy.
I guess a powerful 6 or 8 cyl woould give more confort on the highway. Fuel consumption is no ussue, since very cheap here.

That
From easiest to hardest:
* turbo kit
* bolt on swap to any next B engine - from 3b to 15bt (minor modifications are required)
* transplantation - any other engine (+ gearbox, +shafts, + welding e.t.c.)

Thanks. Says it all and I will ask my local workshop guy to search for engines. For turbo upgrade, I guess I can use eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom