Best locker besides Arb?

Hey all,
What is the consensus on best locker for the rear. ARB would be nice, but it is pricey. What is the best functional locker that can be road friendly and dirt friendly...

cheers,
Joel

Get your hands on a factory electric locker, love the one's in my rig. Not sure how hard they are to find floating around, though. Of course, I'm biased towards full open or full locked lockers due to icy road use. Cheers.

Nope, automatic,unlocks around turns when your not accelerating. Like a Lock-Rite but I hear it works better, not so clunky when engaging.

Of course, I'm biased towards full open or full locked lockers due to icy road use. Cheers.

I have read before that gear type limited slip - I think Torsen is the proper name - works well on ice, as opposed to a clutch type limited slip.

This is the design of Detroit's TruTrac, which is available in an e-locker as well. (But not for our diffs)

Does anyone have experience with these?

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Website
www.4x4panama.com
I believe if USA don't sell that amount of 80 series with factory lockers, sure we can hope for other options ( at least one more ) on selectable lockers .. maye from Eaton or Trachtec ..

Unfortunately torque sensing differentials which are the best for a DD, as the Torsen and it´s similar True-trac are now in hands of a couple of manufacturers like JTEKT Torsen North America Inc and Eaton which don´t give a dawn about the aftermarket so chances we will get them are null.

I drived a lot on my old FJ40 with the Torsen, when it was done by Gleason, and never had any comply. It was like I didn´t have any special differential except when I locked the front hubs in the sands were it was harder to steering but in mud it was a pleasure and never got stuck and rarely had to resort to the winch.

I believe if USA don't sell that amount of 80 series with factory lockers, sure we can hope for other options ( at least one more ) on selectable lockers .. maye from Eaton or Trachtec ..

My rear Auburn is the same part number as the one for a FJ60 or a FJ40 full floating third member so the market is bigger than you though !!!!!!!!!!

From an Aussie, I 'd get a Richmond Gear LockRight. Had one in the rear of my previous truck and loved it. Wouldn't touch an Aussie with a barge pole, poor quality metal and poor quality finish. They have a bad name here, we prefer the LockRights.

Website
www.brian894X4.com
From an Aussie, I 'd get a Richmond Gear LockRight. Had one in the rear of my previous truck and loved it. Wouldn't touch an Aussie with a barge pole, poor quality metal and poor quality finish. They have a bad name here, we prefer the LockRights.

That's ironic, because the Lockrights have a bad name here, but the Aussies are starting to get popular, especially the mini-truck guys...I think the cheaper price is why.

I have a Lockrite in the rear of my mini-truck. But I have the V-6 style that uses less parts and I've never had a problem. I'm not sure what the Land Cruiser Lockrite or Aussie looks like, but since the rear is a 4 pinion (I think) it's probably similiar and just has the two half parts, using the spider gears for the other half, right?

I like the Lockrite/Aussie style for their ease of install and simplicity and they generally work great. Don't really have to worry about whether the locker is going to turn on or not.

But I hated how they drove on the street. The clicking noises, the rear end doing kick outs on acceleration. Increased potential for oversteering and spinouts. All of this is aggrevated in bad weather and especially ice and snow. Careful driving and learning how to compensate helps a lot, but open diffs are really nice to have sometimes.

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't put a Lockrite/Aussie up front.

Doesn't Detroit make a full carrier replacement auto-locker for the Land Cruiser?

That's like most in Oz are now going for the TJM air locker over the ARB one. It's much better quality and doesn't have the air leak issue so common in ARB.

Last edited:
Website
www.cardomain.com
Opinions opinions. "I heard this, I think that". I've seen this thread 100 times, (maybe 99). Locker threads are constantly beat to death. You should only weigh the opinions of people speaking from experience.

My opinion: (yeah, it's from experience).

I ran TRD electrics on my old rig and have Aussies on my current rig. I actually like the Aussies better because they are automatic, not much to fail. The trade-off is practically transparent as I have never experienced any scary/risky/dangerous handling on snow/dry pavement/dirt/rocks. Seems fairly straight forward. If the word "budget" is in your vocabulary it's even more of a no brainer.

Go Aussie!

I have seen pictures of broken pins in a lockrite but never seen any broken aussie locker. I bet you guys at oz break'em like hay stack in daily basis :lol: (No pun intended). Got any pix? I'd love to see some pixof busted aussie locker. Here's an old comparison from back in the day, things may have changed since. I guess pins can break in both lockers due to wear and bad installation.

Aussie Locker: I read the review, so what? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I've pics of neither, only intermittent discussions on Aussie 4WD forums as most use ARB or TJM. There is always lots of discussion about leaking ARB units.

You're correct however, given the right conditions the pins on either will snap, would be interesting to get a metallurgist to run destruction tests on the two pins. The results may be interesting either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom