Best harmonic balancer puller holder design (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My friend made this last night. I used it today and it is awesome.

It’s:
* Super strong since the leverage is made (welded) into the tool
* Will never strip/can’t strip
* Short enough to rotate 180 degrees in the vehicle
* Flexible because you can use a breaker bar, a pipe inside, pipe or square tube on the outside.
* Use any length pipe/tube that you want
* Slide the breaker bar/round tube/square tube in and out to adjust length.

1508C327-F54C-44F5-9A19-6C465F305869.jpeg

0A6B723F-9D01-435D-B596-BE816310E327.jpeg

BE37DA49-9CCA-4243-B416-1DC09DB4EB21.jpeg

59C32C6F-9228-4153-8939-0B47236B9540.jpeg

After you pop off the bolt, you can leave it attached to the HB and pull the HB off, reconnect after, rotate it to the other side using the handle, slip in a breaker bar/round tube/square pipe and tighten up.

It’s cool too because you can see the raceway, rotate it to 12:00 using the tool, unscrew the bolt by hand and remove the bolt, and pull the HB easier.

All while the tool is still attached.

Pretty neat!! I was gonna fab up something similar and then I remembered I had this. Wrapped the chain around the pulley, locked the handle and rested on the fan snout. Put the breaker bar and 30mm socket on and it came off without too much effort.Now I just have to find a torque wrench that will go up to 300+ ft/lbs to finish the job.

0.jpeg

IMG_8357.JPG

I bought a 300+lb torque wrench on Amazon that works really well. I could not find one locally to rent or borrow. Careful on the chain wrap, don't want to put grooves or dings in the pulley as that can shorten belt life. If you don't want to make the puller tool a 14mm impact socket on the flex-plate bolt (accessible through the little window in the bell housing) will hold the engine to torque that bolt on.

I bought a 300+lb torque wrench on Amazon that works really well. I could not find one locally to rent or borrow. Careful on the chain wrap, don't want to put grooves or dings in the pulley as that can shorten belt life. If you don't want to make the puller tool a 14mm impact socket on the flex-plate bolt (accessible through the little window in the bell housing) will hold the engine to torque that bolt on.
Yea, you could actually separate the rubber from the metal as well. That’s the only problem with strap setups. Looks good though. I guess most of the time it would work well, but that one time it breaks away could mean a new HB.

I gotta find a large torque wrench as well.

I have one similar I made but it is circular where it bolts to the harmonic balancer. It has a handle like yours that I jam against the frame rail. Works on 1/PZ and all 1Hx diesels too. Plasma cut it out of 1/4” iirc.

Cheers

No, saw a couple of videos where the socket wrench/or breaker bar (tip/connector...whatever they’re called :)) rips out the holes in the OTRAMM tool.

It's important that the breaker bar you use is a good fit to the tool and that you keep the break-over very close to 90°. If the handle portion of the breaker bar is at some odd angle to the face of the tool then the anvil of the breaker bar will want to 'cam out' of the square hole in the tool.

The tool is only about 3/8" thick so there isn't a lot of engagement BUT it works fine if you use it correctly and the dimensions of the breaker bar are correct (fit the tool snugly).

Pretty neat!! I was gonna fab up something similar and then I remembered I had this. Wrapped the chain around the pulley, locked the handle and rested on the fan snout. Put the breaker bar and 30mm socket on and it came off without too much effort.Now I just have to find a torque wrench that will go up to 300+ ft/lbs to finish the job.
You may find that your belt gets trashed fairly quickly, if there's any damage to the pulley from the chain.

My friend made this last night. I used it today and it is awesome.

It’s:
* Super strong since the leverage is made (welded) into the tool
* Will never strip/can’t strip
* Short enough to rotate 180 degrees in the vehicle
* Flexible because you can use a breaker bar, a pipe inside, pipe or square tube on the outside.
* Use any length pipe/tube that you want
* Slide the breaker bar/round tube/square tube in and out to adjust length.

View attachment 2566800

View attachment 2566801

View attachment 2566802

View attachment 2566803
Is your friend a fabricator/welder by trade?

View attachment 2567208

View attachment 2567209
The problem with your version is that you are placing all the shear force into the rubber of the harmonic balancer and will most likely trash it. Definitely don't do that method when retorquing to 304.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom