Best FJ62 Replacement Rear Hatch Strut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently installed these https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Support...ywords=tuff+support+liftgate+fj60&tag=ihco-20 on my '86 FJ60 and am very pleased. My wife and I were returning from a drive to the far reaches of the Valles Caldera National Preserve last Friday (quite a few miles on a fairly rough dirt 2WD road) and I kept smelling exhaust fumes. When we got back to the visitors center I noticed I had left the lift gate up after loading up some of our hiking gear. The hatch stayed up all the way, I was impressed.

I recently installed these Amazon product ASIN B00JJZ26UO on my '86 FJ60 and am very pleased. My wife and I were returning from a drive to the far reaches of the Valles Caldera National Preserve last Friday (quite a few miles on a fairly rough dirt 2WD road) and I kept smelling exhaust fumes. When we got back to the visitors center I noticed I had left the lift gate up after loading up some of our hiking gear. The hatch stayed up all the way, I was impressed.

Did the hatch bolts fit the factory holes?

These struts are still available from Toyota and they will last far longer than those aftermarket ones and will include the proper new hardware.

These struts are still available from Toyota and they will last far longer than those aftermarket ones and will include the proper new hardware.

Been looking at OEM lift struts, was not aware there are different part #s for 60s and 62s.

Everything I've seen shows:
68950-69025 for fj60
68950-69045 for fj62

Can anyone confirm this?

I recently bought these from Rock Auto- Strongarm 4526
So far they seem good. One seemed to be a returned item and did not include the ball end mounts, so ended up not using their new ball end pieces. I forcibly removed the old ball end mounts from the removed struts using a 4-1/2" grinder :)

Been looking at OEM lift struts, was not aware there are different part #s for 60s and 62s.

Everything I've seen shows:
68950-69025 for fj60
68950-69045 for fj62

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes there are, I haven't ordered -69045 yet, but 68950-69025 is complete and includes new hardware for the body. They are the same price but I can't find specific details for difference. The only difference between FJ62 lids in USA is addition of central locking. Possibility its rated slightly higher for that but I can't confirm. I also can't confirm if it includes new hardware for body.

@mattressking could be a good guess that the 62 unit is slightly higher rated for weight (?). Seems odd they would change an essentially universal fit item.

Think I’m going to order them and check it out, I had been under the impression the OEMs were pretty pricey, good to see they are not.

I used the Sachs struts. I had to take the old ball pivots of the existing set and transfer them to the new ones. No big deal. Sachs SG329006 for $42 from eBay.

Cool cool. Thanks!

So...strong arm 6931 are an inch longer than stock when extended, but same compressed. Installed and they open the hatch a bit more, and the rear window rubber trim hits the gutter. No harm done.

Also, on rockauto, they are $10 cheaper each. So save yourself $20 and get more headroom! Win win.

Mine did not come with new ball studs (rockauto wasnt clear if they would or not), so I cut my old studs out and reused.

IMG_20211113_102604627.jpg

IMG_20211113_110151862.jpg

IMG_20211113_110210629.jpg

Below is a link to a video I just did on these. The part number is in the description. The Suspa struts that come from McMaster that I put on my other Landcruiser 12 years ago are still holding up great! The video shows me installing the struts on another 60 I acquired recently. Hope this helps!

Just to update an old thread:

68950-69045 works great on the FJ60 and seems to have a bit more oomph than the -69025 (FJ60) lift support. Sure, the old ones (aftermarket) were worn, but I mean with these new OE, you really gotta guide the top gate up when opening or get outta the way fast or you'll take it on the chin... They come complete with Pivot Balls/hardware that have thread sealant and even have a bit of moly grease in the cups. OE is made by K.Y.B.

Also, the McMaster-Carr ones linked in the above video (part 4138777 LINK) are very good American-made supports, but they were close enough in cost to the OE Toyota that I couldn't see not getting the OE Toyota. Total was about $85 to my door.

PXL_20231201_181300002.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom