Best "easy" camping food

Discussion in 'Campfire Cuisine' started by Mace, Jul 31, 2017.

1. TXSunDevil

TXSunDevil SILVER Star

I bring an aeropress with me. It makes a great cup of coffee and does not take up much room. I have not found an instant coffee I like

2. HAAANK

HAAANK SILVER Star

I really like foursigmatic. It’s made with lions mane shaga mushroom and I don’t get the coffee crash. Great for the trail.

3. HAAANK

HAAANK SILVER Star

My easiest / most appreciated cooked trail meal is a 1 box to 1 can ratio of Mac n cheese and baked beans. If I have extra sausage or bacon I’ll toss that in as well.

Kids and adults alike respond pretty well to meet, cheese, and cracker service aka diy lunchables.

Also a hit:
    Peanut butter, banana, 2 crunchy nature valley bars on kinds Hawaiian loaf or a Killer Dave’s multigrain loaf.

4. Dragos80

Dragos80

No fridge needed :)

The sausage and dehydrated pulled pork are from Costco. The Chinese sausage only needs to be refrigerated after opening. It tastes good too. A little sweet though.
    I have not tried the pork yet. I like the Shin Noodle Soup.

I'm thinking the pork can go well together with the soup and add just a little seasoning to the mix since the pork comes seasoned anyway. The whole pack might be a little too much in the end. I need to experiment with it at home at first.
    The sausage, of course, on the grill.

IMG_20180218_190050224.jpg

IMG_20180218_190059780.jpg

IMG_20180218_190129784.jpg

Salue likes this.
  5. Dragos80

Dragos80

It actually tastes good. I only used half of the Shin's seasoning pack and about 3 spoons of that pork.
    Less sodium overkill.

gregnash likes this.
  6. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Gosh, I camp solo most of the time. If it's not quick and easy to make ... and quick and easy to clean up, it doesn't happen. My most complex dinner:

Cook ~one cup of egg noodles, drain ... add one can of chicken and one packet of Lipton onion-mushroom soup mix. One pot and done.

Others?

Mac and cheese with hot dogs.
    Chili and hot dogs.
    Those Knorr Sides packets. Either rice or noodles. Usually one of these is a meal. Some are good with a can of chicken.
    Spaghetti and a jar sauce. Or, use the egg noodles and the jar sauce.

For dessert ... Jiffy muffin mixes in my BakePacker. Cornbread, blueberry muffin, apple cinnamon muffin.
    Here is the BakePacker blueberry muffin birthday cake I made for my 60th birthday on a Baja beach. I've also used the BakePacker to steam burritos.

20170316_180546.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  7. Salue

Salue

Those have all been staples in our pantry growing up!

8. Dragos80

Dragos80

Funny
    I swear I just had one of those cups 10 min ago, but I added some peas and carrots I had cooked yesterday

9. Cuerno Largo

Cuerno Largo SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    An aluminum sandwich

10. SKULLYOTA

SKULLYOTA Always needs a nap

Ramen.

Premade camp meals from the sporting good store

11. Dissent

Dissent Questioning my life choices...

Media:
    Albums:
    We do a lot the Burrito Tray I bought from YodaTEQ. Usually toss something in the tray in the morning, commute to the run, stop for lunch and it's sometimes too hot to handle. We do lots of Burritos from Filiberto's or frozen, various things wrapped in foil (Hot Dogs, Meat Balls, Gyro Meat, etc.), and I'm considering trying a medium sized frozen Lasagna. We did a cross country trip using pre-made foil packets and the family loved it enough to get an endorsement from the wife for an ARB fridge. Didn't spend a dime on food from AZ to NC and back!

At camp, it's usually something prepped at home and stuck in the fridge then reheated on a single burner pan or the fire. We do a lot with Mountain House dehydrated foods too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.