EGR Desmog Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aceoverland.com
I have a few terrible exhaust leaks I am trying to track down and eliminate. I am planning to remove my manifolds, have them resurfaced and replace gaskets. The PO did desmog the truck, but from what I can tell it was not done well or all the way. My question is, while I am working in this area, can I safely remove all these parts and plug appropriately? Or should I refinish/replace these parts and put back on? The smog pump sounds like it may have some bearings in there rattling, and I would like to replace that with an auxiliary pulley or something similar I have seen on a few LC parts websites.

I am an amateur mechanic, so any advice is appreciated! I may have labeled some things incorrectly.. so set me straight on what's what. Thanks!!

1984 FJ60

getting rid of the egr crap is one of the best things you can do.....putting hot exhaust gas back into the engine is just asking for issues.
getting rid of the weber would be your next greatest move.

Thanks Brian! Yes, the Weber will go eventually. I am leaning towards EFI swap. All in due time, but first the manifold issues.

I've ordered an EGR block off from TLC Performance as well as some plugs and such.

As far as replacing the smog pump with just a pulley - if I have Power Steering and AC, is there a specific pulley set up that I would need? I saw on TLC Perf that they offered a pulley, but is says "Air Pump Idler pulley, 81-87 2F with PS" but didn't mention AC.. so wanted to be sure.

You won't be sorry going with the TLC Performance smog pump delete setup. Did this on mine back in December and its working great. That setup allows you to easily delete the smog pump but offers the option of returning to stock with 0 fuss if you ever wanted to. Quality stuff and worth every penny. HTH.

That is good to know! The pulley set up is out of stock right now, but keeping my eye on it for a restock.

I do have a question if anyone can answer..

If I use the EGR block off plate, then what do I do with the PCV valve and hose routing? I have a Weber carb, so I am not sure if that will make a difference. Currently the PCV runs to a port that looks to be part of the EGR mess. I've seen where you can hack up part of the EGR piece and retain the PCV, but i'd like to "have my cake and eat it too" here.. Keep PCV, block off EGR. Is that possible?

Attachments

• How+to+Desmog+an+FJ60-2(5).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 249
Mark, Thanks! I did download that write up, and have been reading over it. Happy to sell you my pump! Once I pull it off I am going to clean all the pieces up and planned to sell to someone in need. Will be glad to send it to someone behind enemy lines :) LOL

May have answered my own question here about the block off plate!! But again... out of stock.

I've reached out to see when it may be available again. Glad Manafre upgraded their website! Much easier to use now.

That plate shows out of stock, but if you go the TLCperformance site and look around the catalog, there's an alternative plug for it.

getting rid of the egr crap is one of the best things you can do.....putting hot exhaust gas back into the engine is just asking for issues.

Actually, EGR lowers combustion temperature and reduces the chance of detonation. EGR is not all bad.

Actually, I have already purchased the TLC Performance block off :) That was my first choice, but stumbled upon this Manafre one after looking for a solution to the PCV to EGR dilemma.
Did you ever get the PCV to EGR dilemma sorted? If so, can you share any pics on what you ended up with? Thanks

Nothing looks wrong with that at all! Are you talking about the block off plate on the bottom of the exhaust manifold? I chose the harder way because I have a welder.
Of course now I am running the JT Outfitters headers....
I also just realized how old your first post was! Sorry
:bang:

2021-01-09 14.01.35.jpg

2021-01-09 14.32.16.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't comment on that. My truck had a Weber before the Sniper and desmog, and it always an rich.

I think recurving the dizzy is strongly suggested, or get a DUI dizzy.

@4runner2FJ60 - There are two block off plates, one for the exhaust manifold on the underside (where you welded) - and one higher up, at the intake manifold. The latter is where I routed my PCV. Easiest routing option, just right over the valve cover and into the 90 degree fitting that comes with the block off plate.

Yeah I realized we were talking about the same thing. I just don't consider the intake manifold plate a block off plate because it has a hole and pcv hose attached.
+1 on the recurved dizzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom