craigslist Be forewarned 62K mile original LX470 Posted in SF Bay Area Craigslist. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX470
Mileage
Outside Link
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/sausalito-2004-lexus-lx470-4wd/7684423778.html
Be forewarned. This is an amazing deal if true but unfortunately, it is not. I saw it in person and it's not a bad rig, but odomoter is rolled back, 3 owners and multiple accidents. Seller claims it has 62k miles on it but really its 260K miles. I also believe the carfax and Lexus of Marin documents may be false. Just warning my fellow Mudders.

LX470 CL ad

Good info. Curious. So you pulled your own Carfax and saw the odometer is rolled back, 3 owners and multiple accidents but the Carfax the seller showed you was different?

Interesting.

When I saw the excitement in yesterday post, over this find. I notice, the hood seems a slightly different shade than fenders. I chalked-up to lighting. Today looking at CL listing, I find a few things curious. Not what I'd expect to see.

But still, it is a beautiful looking 04.

I too, am curious: "I also believe the carfax and Lexus of Marin documents may be false" Were these given to you, by seller?

What's the VIN#?

Hood and bumper were quite possibly sprayed since there appears to be no chips and the valance below the grill and lights are riddled with chips.
Could find out the true mileage thru diagnostics. It should give the actual engine hours and mileage in kilometers, unless the ecu was swapped out with an instrument cluster.
It's very clean and seems priced to sell. Even at 200k sellers are asking that much in my area, Wash DC.
Very few manufactures allow the instrument clusters mileage to be reprogrammed, Audi is one of the few that I know of and not even sure if it's possible on later models now.

Interesting.

When I saw the excitement in yesterday post, over this find. I notice, the hood seems a slightly different shade than fenders. I chalked-up to lighting. Today looking at CL listing, I find a few things curious. Not what I'd expect to see.

But still, it is a beautiful looking 04.

I too, am curious: "I also believe the carfax and Lexus of Marin documents may be false" Were these given to you, by seller?

What's the VIN#?
You are correct. Printouts provided by seller. As I didn't buy it on Tuesday, seller didn't give me the documents (as he had other buyers lined up this week). That was one of the things that also triggered my spider sense to run one myself. vin should be in the attachment

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 6.09.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 6.10.13 AM.png

Last edited:
Radiator looks like it has more than 62K miles, they only turn brown like that after 200K. Look at the valve cover gasket and the trans underneath, at 260K it would start to seep or get wet a little. Not at 62, sometimes it could be a clerical error for the mileage but you need someone who knows these trucks well to inspect it.

After 30 years of used car buying I've learned that most if not all honest sellers are very straight forward and very accommodating. It's very apparent that this guy was not so accommodating and offering a good reason to walk.

With the current market prices being so crazy and my own recent experiences I suggest any potential buyers to first look here and buy from established members. I have met in person and/or communicated thru the forum with enthusiasts/members selling an LC/LX and have been very happy with the level of communication and candidness.

I can also suggest to even reach out to a member that may have something you want, even if they're not actually selling. You never know what may come out of it. Years ago when on the hunt for a rare Audi I reached out to a forum member and after a few days of conversation and offers I convinced him to sell me his car and had it shipped from Spokane to DC. Worth a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom