• Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • BF Goodrich KO2

Votes: 51 50.5%
  • Toyo Open Country AT3

Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DadWagon

SILVER Star
Threads
Another tire thread... I'm sorry I just can't get enough info as to me this is a big purchase. I'm weighing up Falken WP AT3, BFG KO2 and Toyo Open Country AT3. All in 285/60/20 E that part is decided, I like my wheels and want to keep them so I'm not going smaller wheels and I know tires in this size are a premium price I'm good with all that just trying to decide on the tire so please have your vote and if you don't mind sharing your "why" I'd love to hear that to. Also thanks to all who have provided great information in other threads. If this should be in a thread that I was unable to find through search feel free to point me in the right direction and I apologize in advance if that's the case. Have a great day everyone.

My use is 90% on road, 8% gravel finding trout streams and maybe 2% very tame trails finding good camping spots or exploring. I'd like an attractive A/T tire that has good road manners but a slightly more aggressive look, there are limited options in this size.

Can I pick 2? Have the Wildpeaks on my 100 and the Toyos on the 200. Both are great tires. Wilpeaks are a bit quieter on the highway but they also weigh a lot more. Would give the Toyos a slight edge in snow performance, although both are very good.

Personally i doubt you could go wrong with any of the three. If it helps in order of aggressive looks it goes Least -> OC AT3 -> WP AT3 -> KO2 -> Most. KO2s are probably the only tire here i wouldn't choose, but really only because i know it's the oldest design. My Toyo's are a little noisy, but i don't have any other AT experience to compare them to. I can definitely still hear the bro truck tires over them on the highway when they go by.

And just since you started a new tire thread, I'll throw this monkey wrench in. Pretty much anything you would have to do to fit a LT295/60r20 you'll have to do to fit a LT285/60R20. I noticed all three of those tires also come in that size. There's a whole thread here devoted to how awesome 34" 295s are on LXs, so consider that.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any if the three. They each have pros and cons, but luckily mostly pros.

If you are really undecided, ask which one the shop will give you the best deal on.
Or which one is in stock. Might be supply issues.

Agreed there's no right or wrong and depends on qualities you value. But there are differences between these tires.

One of the most interesting testimonies I found was from a professional tire tester and racer. Partly in the video here where he alludes to certain things (that have since been taken out), but he also had a lot of candid comments in the commentary (much of which again was taken out). I captured some of it in other threads but I'll copy here:

I see you have the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on your hundy. I ran the Wildpeaks on my last 200 and really liked them. I thought their snow performance was markedly better than the BFG All Terrain KO2s but noticeably worse than the Goodyear Duratrac. I think the Duratrac is a pretty crap tire in virtually all regards EXCEPT snow performance so I felt like the Falken Wildpeak AT3W was the best all around tire I had found so far. Curious to see how you think they compare, especially in the snow?

Sleuthing the interwebs, here's some candid info I found from a professional tire tester that benched these tires in controlled conditions. Consistent with your and @Chewbacca 's impressions.

JOE BACAL
2 weeks ago
@Icutmetal Great options for sure! OK, as for the ATX General, I actually started testing that tire for General after I finished development on the X3 MT. During my testing of the ATX, they pulled me off the project since my main General contact had transferred to Germany, so I never finished and haven't tested the final product. I do remember that they were pretty good up until that point. As for the K02 , Toyo AT3 and Falken AT3W go, from what you plan to do with it I would not go BFG. They were not ideal in the snow and the ride comfort was really firm! Controlability was also an issue .... The Falken AT3W is a fantastic tire and one of my all time favorites, but snow performance was below the new Toyo AT3. I might go with the Falken 1st but it sounds like you want low road noise and good snow performance so it looks like the Toyo did better after checking my data that I am looking at for you in those specific areas....both great choices!

From my experience with all 3 tires, it would be a hard choice between Toyo AT3s and Falkens AT3Ws. If you want more aggressive, I'd lean towards the Falkens.

I'll just chime in that the BFGs are very hard to balance and just as hard to keep balanced. I had them and would never buy them again. My next tire will be the Toyo AT3s.

TOYO

Personally i doubt you could go wrong with any of the three. If it helps in order of aggressive looks it goes Least -> OC AT3 -> WP AT3 -> KO2 -> Most. KO2s are probably the only tire here i wouldn't choose, but really only because i know it's the oldest design. My Toyo's are a little noisy, but i don't have any other AT experience to compare them to. I can definitely still hear the bro truck tires over them on the highway when they go by.

And just since you started a new tire thread, I'll throw this monkey wrench in. Pretty much anything you would have to do to fit a LT295/60r20 you'll have to do to fit a LT285/60R20. I noticed all three of those tires also come in that size. There's a whole thread here devoted to how awesome 34" 295s are on LXs, so consider that.
Did you know that KO2 came out around same time as Michelin Defender? Would you consider Defender last place just because of “age”? And yes, there have been plenty of newer tires in Defender’s class. Would you rate all of them higher than Defender because of age?

Toyo AT3 i think did really bad in TireRack’s editor’s comparison…and it’s the newest tire of the bunch. What does that tell you?

Ill add the General grabber ATX to the mix. Exellent road manners and does well off road.... In my experience not quite as tough as the k02 but is much better in all on road conditions and weather.

Also nokian is releasing a new all terrain that looks like a solid performer. Although not as hardcore off roader as the k02...etc. Looking forward to hearing how it performs.

With your requirements why not seek out a size with a C or D load availability?

With your requirements why not seek out a size with a C or D load availability?
I had the same question. Basically zero advantage to an e-load tire on our vehicles.

The Toyos are indeed fairly loud for an AT. Even my P Toyos are fairly close to my KM2s MTs in noise.

and like all tire threads, this one is now off the rails (my faults included). Haha
Nah, it's just that tires are such a personal thing, it's hard to choose from a limited selection.

Anyone try these? DUELER A/T REVO 3 - SIZE:295/70R18

I had the same question. Basically zero advantage to an e-load tire on our vehicles.
What about number of plies?
image.jpg

Last edited:
Of the three I'd pick the KO2's. I have the most experience with them, they have the most proven miles, heritage, etc. This forum loves to crap on them while they sing the praises of the Falken's and I think those tires are at the bottom of the bunch. None of them are horrible and they all have their issues but in all my years of running BFG AT's I have never had a balance issue with them while I have had balance issues with every set of Toyo's I've owned. Everyone has their preference and loyalties to a degree but don't let that sway you into a decision. Pick the one you like the looks of best or whichever you can actually get your hands on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom