battery dead when sitting overnight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is a 1990 pickup with 22re. running fine, but battery won't turn over motor when it sits overnight. I jump it and it runs and seems to charge fine. Starts fine around town. Then needs to be jumped to start again 20 hours later. Battery is between 6 and 8 years old. I'm checking the age tomorrow. time for new battery? Battery is an AGM type, no maintenance.

Check the battery first, if that doesn't solve your problem then pull he fuses one by one to figure out what circuit the short is in (unless someone has a better idea for finding a short).

What brand? Optimas love to drop cells and cause similar symptoms.

Run DMM on amp mode between neg pole and unhooked neg cable. Remove fuses until load disappears.
I have also seen a couple alternators short and the fuse pulling wont show that one.

I'm going with battery. Especially if it's 6-8 years old.

Ya I would tend to suspect the battery, being that old. Most parts stores will do a load test for free.

I will look for a short again. I checked a few fuses already. Charge indicator has been perfect when it is running. I'm supposed to go to the Yukon next week, so I may be throwing in a new battery. Battery is called a Motomaster Eliminator AGM. It has been way beyond expectations for durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom