Bass Camp May 21 - 22 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got most of the way through packing the Jeep, then got a call that my father in law is having surgery first thing in the morning. Now packing the Magnum.

Have fun guys.

That was fun.

Bass Camp itself was amazing, truly a monument to the rugged men and women that founded Nevada. For the most part the roads were really good with a few spots that challenged Locrwlns full size truck.

After leaving Bass camp we back tracked into Little Hooten valley then over the mountains to Rattlesnake flat. Near the top of the canyon we hit a small waterfall with a high off camber bypass to the right. Somehow Locrwln got sideways in the bypass with his rear DS fender almost kissing a big rock. After some creative winching and strategically placed rocks we managed to get him over the top. In the course of the recovery I had crawled the waterfall with the FJ60 to winch form the up hill side. The rest of the group except Matt used the bypass with no issues. Matt did a stellar job navigating his 80 over the waterfall ledges. The remainder of the drive out was uneventful.

Some of the group returned to Reno some of us headed to a camp that J&D had made the day before. Along the way we hit some rain, just a little at first then turning into a major cloud burst. By the time we arrived at Camp Horny Toad it was a full on T-Storm. :princess: and I decided to sit it out for a while and see if the conditions improved. We hung out in the truck for 15 or 20 minutes discussing our options, when the rain turned to more ice than water we had a decision. Rather than set up camp in the mud we drove back to Reno. It seems Matt saw the merit in this decision because he joined us, at least to the paved road.

I'll post up some pictures later.

Sounds great. Looking forward to the pictures.

I saw Jack's photos and damn-it anyway I missed a great looking 2nd and 3rd day of the trip!

Here are a few photos I took before the CV grenaded.

Breakfast in Wellington including their signature Banana Bread French Toast!

And check out that chain drive portal!!!
DSC_4796.jpg
DSC_4797.jpg
DSC_4801.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Jack's photos and damn-it anyway I missed a great looking 2nd and 3rd day of the trip!

Did they decide to break camp and come home too? or did he email them? I did have cell service at camp. I had a truck full of gear and was planning on sleeping in the back. The thought of taking some of that gear and putting it outside in the rain and mud didnt sound too appealing so I decided to just head out with the Rusty crew.

I have a bunch of photos, but nothing exciting though. I'll post the good ones up today.

A few more...
DSC_4811.jpg
DSC_4812.jpg
DSC_4814.jpg

3 more...
DSC_4818.jpg
DSC_4823.jpg
DSC_4826.jpg

A few more photos...
DSC_4831.jpg
DSC_4836.jpg
DSC_4842.jpg

And the last...
DSC_4844.jpg
DSC_4854.jpg

Did they decide to break camp and come home too? or did he email them? I did have cell service at camp. I had a truck full of gear and was planning on sleeping in the back. The thought of taking some of that gear and putting it outside in the rain and mud didnt sound too appealing so I decided to just head out with the Rusty crew.

I have a bunch of photos, but nothing exciting though. I'll post the good ones up today.

Sounded like they were behind you guys by a couple hours. It didn't rain here but I did notice and relayed to Jack when I spoke to him yesterday morning when he was waiting for you guys in Mina the weather radar showed the Sierra directly west of you guys was getting snow!

Yep, the rain stopped about ten minutes til 6pm. So when we got a chance, we packed and headed for home. Here is my write up and copy/paste.

We decided to take the long way down and stopped for breakfast in Wellington, NV and headed down to Bridgeport, CA. We decided to refuel and spoke with the attendant who let us know our original route was still snowed in, so we decided to take the Bodie to Aurora Canyone route down to Lucky Boy Pass.

East of Bodie

Lucky Boy Pass, stopped for lunch. My wife, who is my chief navigator noticed both a road going up the hill and on the map that looked intriguing. After lunch, we decided to give it a try.

Making the climb, from 8300' to over 10k.

We hit some snow drifts and finally at just over 10k we found one that stopped us. I was leading, and it was time to back up (which is always fun).

Last edited:
So we found a spot to turn the trailer/LC combo around. You can see the road behind the trailer that was our turn around point. Unfortunately, we learned later, that bad things happened on the turn around. We heard a click, click from the front driver's side outer CV...

Turned around and heading back down.

Looking back.

As we were driving down Lucky Boy Pass Rd., Spresso noticed the front was "feeling" weird. We turned onto the highway and as we were making our link up to the next stretch of dirt, Spresso blurted on the radio, "I got parts flying." And I saw smoke. We pulled to the shoulder and realized that the CV had let go. Spresso's trip was done.

We pulled over at the right spot though, as it was a NDOT sand storage area, so we had plenty of wild, solid ground to work. Out came the front driveshaft and Spresso's trail fix drive plates. He locked the t-case in and headed home.

That left the Wife and I to continue the journey.

The rest of the crew was set to meet up in Mina on Saturday morning to begin the hunt for Bass Camp.

We made it to camp and once we had everything set up and had dinner, we took a walk and saw a hornytoad lizard, we saw him three times total, so we christened the spot as Camp Hornytoad.

Here is the camp mascot.

We met up with the rest of the crew on Saturday morning and headed down to the remains of Murietta and started our way up the canyon toward our goal. We worked our way up and came to a "Guzzler" and the only one of our group that had ever been there, was on an atv some years ago and he was just following, so it took us a while to figure out the trail. From the guzzler, we started up what is labeled as a Jeep Road. Pretty much the only thing using the road any more are ATV's. On the shelf.

After a lot of small trail time, we found it. The infamous Bass Camp.

The entire crew.

After lunch, we headed back.

And then we finally found a spot too small/rough for a stock truck. We had turned up the canyon to continue our (new trail from this point on) journey.

There was a small ledge that was too tall for the approach angle, open diff, belly dragger Chevy, so I attempted the bypass. Unfortunately, it was all depocomposing granite, so imagine a course sand. I buried the truck and made it to within a few millimeters of taking the bed out on the rocks.

After a lot of winching, jacking, rock stacking, help, snatch blocking, etc, we got the chevy out of it's hole.
Here is the ledge.

The only damage and that was from a rock being thrown into place. A big thanks to the Battle Born Cruisers of Northern Nevada for the rescue.

Nice!!! I really wanted to make this one. Much more fun than a hospital waiting room in Bakersfield.

I might want to go see the camp as part of a detour on our return from Yosemite this summer. I wonder if my friends stock Armada could get to the camp?

Looks like the trip was a lot of fun. Looking forward to more pictures.

Jon

Good time and STELLAR write up Jack!
I HAVE to ask...Are you missing the 80 at all? Seems though if you had a set of sliders on that hog, the rock would have been a non issue?

Last run to DV a couple weeks ago, I was REALLY FEELING the stock rig limits. Not gonna do that again.

BTW...who all was on the run? There are a few rigs I dont recognize.

Espresso...
What was the deal with the CV? Just wear and tear? Had many of those go out? What are the trail fix plates?

Just keep throwin money at that thing, man...It'll all be good!!:flipoff2:

Good time and STELLAR write up Jack!
I HAVE to ask...Are you missing the 80 at all? Seems though if you had a set of sliders on that hog, the rock would have been a non issue?

Last run to DV a couple weeks ago, I was REALLY FEELING the stock rig limits. Not gonna do that again.

Thanks, it was a great trip.

I miss the capability (slightly), but that's about it. It was kind of fun taking a stock rig, makes you remember the basics. I was really, really pleased with how well it did on some fairly rough stuff. The stock shocks suck and it definitely needs more clearance, but overall it was comfortable. Few things to remedy, but nothing a little money and time won't fix...

Yeah, sliders would have made all the difference. Plus a little more speed around the bypass, but that is the joy of being first, you find out what works or doesn't.

Espresso...
What was the deal with the CV? Just wear and tear? Had many of those go out? What are the trail fix plates?

The list of party attendants were:

Jack- Chevy
Dan J. - 60
Keith - 40
Mark - 4runner
Kurt - FJ Cruiser
Matt - 80

Jack

Last edited:

Espresso...

First one; she's got 185k on it so I can't complain. Pretty much like a HD birf construction wise. s*** wears out...if you use it :flipoff2:

Bore the splines out of the hub flanges so you don't have to run naked and get crap in da bearings.

Nice write up Jack and Dan.

As promised here is my contribution to the photographic documentation of the journey.

We left the black top here, I don't think any body else mentioned that the wild flowers were exceptional along the whole drive, you get a feel for it in this picture.
DSC_0019.jpg

Airing down in Marettia
DSC_0023.jpg

A little trail maintenance.
DSC_0026.jpg

Starting the switch backs to Bass Camp
DSC_0031.jpg

We made it!
DSC_0035.jpg

I've never seen a picture on the internet of Bass Camp with anything other than ATV's parked like this.
DSC_0037.jpg

:princess: thought this looked like a little Titus Canyon
DSC_0054.jpg

Go 60!!!
DSC_0061.jpg

Jack's Stuck moment
DSC_0066.jpg

The front pull set-up
DSC_0068.jpg

Matt spanking it
DSC_0084.jpg

The rainbow inside the clouds
DSC_0097.jpg

:princess: got some stellar pictures around Walker Lake on the way home.
DSC_0109.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom