Baseline Maintenance Question?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Epictetus, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Epictetus

Epictetus

I am purchasing a 2003 LX470 with 116k miles. I will pick up the vehicle next week. Please tell me what items I should replace, change, inspect for wear, etc. to get it ready for its new home. I know the timing belt was replaced at 90k miles, and I assume the water pump at the same time. What are some parts that might have corroded, or worn out that I should replace before taking the rig on long trips? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

2. El Cid

El Cid

Media:
    Albums:
    Hit the FAQ. Two schools of thought. 1) Preventive Maintenance 2) Replace as necessary.
    Both are valid, it's a matter of personal preferences, but most will agree that the heater hose T's are a weak spot and should be done quickly.

I belong in the first camp, but even then, I am glad I waited to let things wear down before I replaced a few items. It all depends on the prior owner in your case.

Bottom line, make sure the 90k service items are done and just take a look at what might need replacing. Truly, it might not be that much.

3. dwh13

dwh13

Media:
    Albums:
    One thing I wish I had done - raise the AHC from low to high. If the fluid reservoir under the hood doesn't change by at least 7 tick marks, you're looking at new globes, which are at least $1k new.

4. camino70

camino70

Media:
    Albums:
    Heater t's.

Riviera likes this.
  5. abuck99

abuck99 SILVER Star

6. Spike555

Spike555

Change all fluids and filters, change the heater "T"s, drive it. Done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.