1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseline Maintenance Question?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Epictetus, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Epictetus

Epictetus

I am purchasing a 2003 LX470 with 116k miles. I will pick up the vehicle next week. Please tell me what items I should replace, change, inspect for wear, etc. to get it ready for its new home. I know the timing belt was replaced at 90k miles, and I assume the water pump at the same time. What are some parts that might have corroded, or worn out that I should replace before taking the rig on long trips? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

2. El Cid

El Cid

Media:
    Albums:
    Hit the FAQ. Two schools of thought. 1) Preventive Maintenance 2) Replace as necessary.
    Both are valid, it's a matter of personal preferences, but most will agree that the heater hose T's are a weak spot and should be done quickly.

I belong in the first camp, but even then, I am glad I waited to let things wear down before I replaced a few items. It all depends on the prior owner in your case.

Bottom line, make sure the 90k service items are done and just take a look at what might need replacing. Truly, it might not be that much.

3. dwh13

dwh13

One thing I wish I had done - raise the AHC from low to high. If the fluid reservoir under the hood doesn't change by at least 7 tick marks, you're looking at new globes, which are at least $1k new.

4. camino70

camino70

Media:
    Albums:
    Heater t's.

Riviera likes this.
  5. abuck99

abuck99 SILVER Star

6. Spike555

Spike555

Change all fluids and filters, change the heater "T"s, drive it. Done.