Barefoot's 1989 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found an FJ 62 on the side of the road, and the price was right.
So, what can I say, it followed me home.

Previous owner tagged a f150 and took out the grill, passenger headlights, inner and outer fenders

The good
-With the exception of the front clip, and what appears to be surface rust on the hatch the body and frame are nice.
-seems to run/ drive /ride well ( have only driven at mile or so )
-188k miles
-Has Yakima towers & cross bars
-It's a land cruiser

The bad
4wd light is on
No tail lights
Gauge / dash lights inoperable
Windshield is broken
Only front windows work
Power locks cycle , but only driver's works consistently
AC system is open/ missing components
Front axle is leaking at both ends

The ugly
Filthy inside & out
Missing carpet
Dash pad is trashed
Radio awol
Driver's seat is in rough shape
Collision damage

A64A766E-EB13-4D0C-8C2A-762DB11F3196.jpg

D558498C-21B0-4DF2-801C-5DCDD351EDFC.jpg

9F812AC6-0962-4FAD-B8DE-083736A25883.jpg

1AE9DB35-33DD-45ED-BA70-FF34EC2F6808.jpg

AE19B186-0375-4C6E-A4BC-EBC7815AA23A.jpg

After I took these I used my winch (& an eight pound hammer) to pull the front sheet metal out enough for the hood to close & allow me to put the battery out of my taco in it.

Immediate Goals
-Find the FSM
-clean inside & out
-check, fill, or change all fluids
-front axle refresh
-Inspect brakes
-Lighting repairs

Long term goals
-Collect parts to replace front clip (probably with 60 parts)
-refresh /replace interior
-bring AC back
-full function of all electrical & accessories
-daily drive it

Last edited:
All I can say is wow! That looks like on of the biggest "challenges" I've seen on here. Good on ya for saving it from the crusher. And good luck!

Great project - go for it. I'd leave the '62 front end on it, but '60 parts are likely easier to find.

Actually looks not bad. The gaps in the doors back from the front fender look ok. Just get used fender & hood, put a custom/home built bumper on and body wise you are in good shape. The electrical just needs to checked to find where the problem is, (I know it sound like Capt. Obvious) but it is doable, more so than a modern vehicles. That rear bumper looks mint, even the leaf springs look like they still have some "arch" left in them. If the frame is as good as the body, you got a great Land Cruiser.

Bob

Thank you for saving her

I know a guy parting a white 62...

I spent some time yesterday taking inventory & cleaning the truck inside and out. As expected the list of issues is getting longer.
2C1187ED-A760-48AF-93CA-ED55841CBA84.jpg

6C602E9D-5026-4C18-91F8-8F200CBF9F27.jpg

D426AC81-F286-4D56-A307-92FC437A02A9.jpg

FE56A652-4576-4B3A-98C8-D0F9D6F34989.jpg

C49FEE51-0BBF-4BD5-9997-6D3AF0C8A745.jpg

D18F109D-B444-41F1-9F6E-CE0D3C3D16E5.jpg

1375F265-0EDF-4428-97C0-52A2161801C2.jpg

I found a small leak in the radiator, so pulling it and having it repaired will move to the top of the list for now. I don't have any intention of putting this on the road for quite a while, but would like to be able to start it and let it run without worrying about overheating it.
The jack & tool kit are missing so I will need to track down a replacement. Are they cruiser specific or common to the pickup/4Runner? I mainly care about the ability to raise & lower the stock spare.

While removing the console to scrub underneath it I realized part of the front passenger seat base is missing. (Under the inboard, forward leg). Does anyone know where I can find this part?
EAA9905F-9ECA-4BD0-81D8-2C38B658A470.jpg

The front floorboard drain plugs are also awol (this did make it easier to clean)

Last edited:
I ran the truck again and the radiator leak is worse than I first thought, so I ordered another one. I think I have located the sheet metal I need for the front end, but it will be a while before I can go collect it. While I'm waiting on that I think I will turn my attention to the front axle.

My plan is to rebuild hub, knuckles, and brakes.
Am I better off ordering one vendor's kit over another? If so, which one would you recommend?

Also, anyone parting a 62 have the seat mount part available? (Passenger front inboard, pictured above)

Update...
I have located replacement sheet metal for the front, but it will be another month before I have time to go pick it up.
Also,
I drove it at speed for the first time today. Only 7-8 miles, but very encouraging. The engine, transmission and steering felt fine, but the brakes are very sketchy. The knuckle/hub/brake rebuild has moved to the front of line, which raises some questions.

1. Which vendor/ kits do you like for the knuckle & hub rebuild? I would rather pay a little more upfront for better quality and not have to think about these again for a long time.

2. As far as pads / rotors go, are there any upgrades I should be looking at, or are stock replacements the way to go?

Update...
I have located replacement sheet metal for the front, but it will be another month before I have time to go pick it up.
Also,
I drove it at speed for the first time today. Only 7-8 miles, but very encouraging. The engine, transmission and steering felt fine, but the brakes are very sketchy. The knuckle/hub/brake rebuild has moved to the front of line, which raises some questions.

1. Which vendor/ kits do you like for the knuckle & hub rebuild? I would rather pay a little more upfront for better quality and not have to think about these again for a long time.

2. As far as pads / rotors go, are there any upgrades I should be looking at, or are stock replacements the way to go?
1. Cruiser Outfitters
2. OEM all the way

I will be heading down to cruiserjunction / Mel Lowe's mid June to pick up some parts. Does anyone in Atlanta/ North Georgia want me to haul anything else back with for them when I make the trip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom