Ball joint question — 555 into Dobinsons UCA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time trying to press ball joints (and 1st time doing a lift install this weekend). Was getting some pre-work in, attempting to press 555 ball joints I got from @cruiseroutfitters because my dobinsons were only available without ball joints or with moog’s from Exit Offroad.

I have a press kit and pretty sure I am doing it right….got em in pretty good but doesnt seem far enough in compared to some youtube videos I have found. My question is - am I clueless and shouldn’t be trying to press until I first have the backs of arms installed in vehicle - or should I drive the uca’s to a local shop to press them in using their press? I didnt want to install the uca if I was gonna still not be able to press them further.
Appreciate the help and guidance. Her are pics of how far i have them seated.

A49F1428-586B-416C-AEBE-4039371D337F.jpeg

EB07E653-8139-40DD-AE37-3B166C101657.jpeg

I'm not familiar with the specific parts you are using.
Is it my impression or the first pic shows the ball joint not aligned with the hole. Looks like there is more space on the left than on the right. That might explain why it doesn't go fully in. Maybe the hole is crocked in the arm, maybe it is just an optical illusion.
But my expectation is that it should be fully in.
How did you press them?

Is it my impression or the first pic shows the ball joint not aligned with the hole. Looks like there is more space on the left than on the right. That might explain why it doesn't go fully in. Maybe the hole is crocked in the arm, maybe it is just an optical illusion.
How did you press them?
Orion Motor Tech Heavy Duty Ball Joint Press & U Joint Removal Tool Kit with 4wd Adapters, for Most 2WD and 4WD Cars and Light Trucks (BK) https://a.co/d/a6QCVMc

How did you press them?
Ball joint goes in without tools centered, and has no free space to move and get uncentered - rather just encountering resistance to go further enough and get fully seated when using a c-clamp ball joint press.

If still needed , later this evening I can get pics and measurements from my Nitro Gear UCAs. They look identical to the Dobinsons and are probably made by the same company/distributer.

First time trying to press ball joints (and 1st time doing a lift install this weekend). Was getting some pre-work in, attempting to press 555 ball joints I got from @cruiseroutfitters because my dobinsons were only available without ball joints or with moog’s from Exit Offroad.

I have a press kit and pretty sure I am doing it right….got em in pretty good but doesnt seem far enough in compared to some youtube videos I have found. My question is - am I clueless and shouldn’t be trying to press until I first have the backs of arms installed in vehicle - or should I drive the uca’s to a local shop to press them in using their press? I didnt want to install the uca if I was gonna still not be able to press them further.
Appreciate the help and guidance. Her are pics of how far i have them seated.

View attachment 3410392

View attachment 3410393
By backs of the arms do you mean where the arm bushing are? I’ve not pressed them in and out so I could be totally wrong, but if so then I would think no you shouldn’t try to press them in with the UCA mounted in the vehicle, you should be press them in as you did on a bench. Seems like you need a stronger press?

By backs of the arms do you mean where the arm bushing are? I’ve not pressed them in and out so I could be totally wrong, but if so then I would think no you shouldn’t try to press them in with the UCA mounted in the vehicle, you should be press them in as you did on a bench. Seems like you need a stronger press?
Think so or by being attached in jn the rear, I can get better leverage on the front.

Looks like you have 1/4" more to press in.
What a PIA to do without any sort of mechanical or machine shop press. Did they give you a solid deal considering you have to do their job and press in the joints ?
The Nitro Gears can be found on sale for around $300-$400 for the set.

20230825_142714.jpg

20230825_142638.jpg

20230825_142647.jpg

Have used the C-Clamp method on the uppers on Tacoma ball joints. Should be good when you can get the snap ring installed, usually.

Looks like you have 1/4" more to press in.
What a PIA to do without any sort of mechanical or machine shop press. Did they give you a solid deal considering you have to do their job and press in the joints ?
The Nitro Gears can be found on sale for around $300-$400 for the set.

View attachment 3410995

View attachment 3410996

View attachment 3410997
Thanks man. Yeah kinda sucks. My exit offeoad order was supposed to be inclusive of 555 ball joints but after ordering they contacted me, offered moogs or the price they normally charge for just uca’s with no ball joints. I was itching to get this done so took them up on offer for cheaper price and I ordered 555’s from cruiser outfitters. Appreciate the pics…..I’m gonna drive em around tomorrow and try to find a mechanic that will press them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom