Ball behind Reverse light switch 1978 fj40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that I remember; the reverse shift rail moved directly into contact with the ball that was captive in the switch assembly.

IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
Not that I remember; the reverse shift rail moved directly into contact with the ball that was captive in the switch assembly.

The switch on this 78 doesnt have a captive ball on the end. I ordered a replacement and it doesn't either. The back up lights are flickering in 1-4.

Do I have the wrong switch here? New was nla from Mr T, or I would have gone oem.

In the meantime
Here's a teq that I removed from my 76 FJ40 H42 . I don't remember if it had a big washer.
IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

This was in my 74 FJ55 4speed and it did have a washer installed. I've no idea if it's a teq switch or factory spec washer
IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

I believe my 76 tranny has low miles on it. Guessing the piggy switch is worn down from higher mileage. You can see the tit is longer on the 76 backup switch
IMG_2701.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5347.JPG
IMG_5348.JPG
IMG_5350.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG
In the meantime
Here's a teq that I removed from my 76 FJ40 H42 . I don't remember if it had a big washer.
View attachment 1407755

View attachment 1407756

This was in my 74 FJ55 4speed and it did have a washer installed. I've no idea if it's a teq switch or factory spec washerView attachment 1407759
View attachment 1407758

I believe my 76 tranny has low miles on it. Guessing the piggy switch is worn down from higher mileage. You can see the tit is long
View attachment 1407757

I'm going to try it without the washer and see if that changes anything. Anyone know if different H42s require the washer?

Sweet Forty BTW

Thanks, it is a friend's. I've been slowly restoring it for him for the last 40 months.

I was wondering about that. Perhaps even try a thinner washer.

I assume you double checked your tail light housing grounds to the frame.

Holy smokes that rig is perfect

I just pulled the top cover off my 75 4-speed. Unfortunately I'm out of town but can check for a washer when I get home tomorrow if you don't have an answer by then.

I also have a later 60-series H42 top cover I can check - but that's an entirely different setup so it probably won't help much...

That aftermarket replacement switch looks correct Deo man.

With the new switch installed, using the crush/sealing washer, the lights are still flickering in 1-4 gears?

"ball"
"tit"

:meh:

IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5428.JPG
That aftermarket replacement switch looks correct Deo man.

With the new switch installed, using the crush/sealing washer, the lights are still flickering in 1-4 gears?

"ball"
"tit"

:meh:

Yes flickering 1-4. Turns out I was missing a spring on the shifter. Without it the reverse shift shaft was moving/contacting the back up light switch causing the flicker.

Spring installed. All better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom