Bad Spark Plugs? Engine stalls and won't start. CEL, VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights. P0430 DTC <help> (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OEMGUY0720

Der liebe Gott steckt im detail
SILVER Star
Threads
Earlier I was driving and the truck started to rumble / shake during acceleration coming off a stop light. Went into limp mode for 10 seconds and eventually engine stalled (no rpm at all on the guage). Thankfully I was able to bring it on the shoulder. Started it after 5 seconds and was able to go again.

10 minutes we arrived home. Idled for 5 mins as I was waiting for my daughter and then it stalled again.

Outside temp (according to the digital display was 112°F.

Tried about 5 times to start it but to no avail. It will run for about max 10 seconds and it will stall again. So I let it rest and cool down for 40 mins, tried to start it and it did! So I just moved it here inside the garage and started to check stuff.

Things i checked:
• engine oil level - ok (at the correct level)
• coolant on the radiator and reservoir- good (no leaks and both at max level)
• temp guage - in the middle like its always at

Guage:
8C9C4774-70A1-4F63-AB0C-0B611005A01D.jpeg

Are my spark plugs already due for replacement? Or these are still good?
D926C8F1-B7A9-4433-9FCD-92B360033C94.jpeg
BF96259C-C2CC-40DE-9E6B-7D2D3A5C6D11.jpeg

Thanks in advance gents.

Last edited:
The plugs don't seem out of the ordinary to me, the service interval is either 90 or 100k, are they due? I'd be more suspicious of a fuel issue given the commonality of high heat + altitude no start threads.

Check this one out, it may help. Engine shutting off during long trips.

This is the first time this happened to me.

More details:
• i just loaded up gas (91) at costco
• loaded with approx 200lbs at the middle and 3rd row area
• air filter clean (just replaced it 2 months ago)
• checked MAF - it’s clean
• 2006 LX470
• 230k miles

Last edited:
Sounds like a coil pack. Read the codes.

I just got the cable for techstream I haven’t tried it yet though, can I read codes even with the engine not running? Thanks

I just learned I could activate magnetic clutch with tech stream, with engine off. I was able to see some DTC within tech stream engine off. Try it!

One test for spark plugs, is the gap. Gap on standard factory recommended spark plug, start at 1.1mm. When gap hits 1.3mm they are no good. You can not re-gap used plugs.

As gap widens, spark plug draws more power from the coil. This creates excessive heat in coil. Heat is what kills coils, more so than age.

1st pic plug #1 & 2 look like they were loose. Not really bad, and probably sung up (expanded) as engine heated.

Most of your spark plugs are US assembled. But I see at least one made in Japan. US are replacement plugs. Japan made "may" be factory installed. So sometime in it's history, some replaced the spark plugs but likely not all.

Last edited:
Don’t forget about the fuel pump. I will bet all my money on that. We had a truck in our shop that the techstream couldn’t find the root cause... turned out to be a intermittent fuel pump.

Coils on the 100s rarely fail. Check connections.

Don’t forget about the fuel pump. I will bet all my money on that. We had a truck in our shop that the techstream couldn’t find the root cause... turned out to be a intermittent fuel pump.

Coils on the 100s rarely fail. Check connections.
Thanks. I’m still in the process of reading the thread link above that @aging fleet gave. Do you have a part number for the fuel pump?

Do you have a part number for the fuel pump?

I just replaced mine about a week ago, part number 23220-50160 for my '06 LC, it's probably the same for your '06 LX, but confirm before ordering. I also replaced the fuel pump gasket 77169-33020. Parts from McGeorge were priced at $265 and $11 repectively, but others have ordered the pump directly from Aisin (edit... or maybe Denso) to save some money. Can't speak to that part number or what's involved.

Be sure to read the codes before you start throwing parts at it.

Last edited:
I ran techstream and I don’t know if this would help..
42AEB038-DF50-440E-9564-78AA3823830B.jpeg

F121EEE8-9019-44A9-AA64-D9621CEFC18B.jpeg

Misfires on cylinders 6 and 8. Move those coils to other cylinders to see if the misfires move with them.
thanks I will try that tomorrow. is this correct for 2UZFE?
cylinderorientation.jpg

I got an Aisin fuel pump that came in a Beck-Arnley box. Check your local parts houses, you'll save some money. A lot of the local parts house pumps are going to be Aisin, just without the markup from the Toyota box

Start with the coil switch over. But it is strange that two coil packs would fail at the same time.

You also have a lean condition on both banks P0171 and P0174. That combined with the high temperatures and stalling at idle (more heat, no airflow) could also mean a low fuel pressure. Fuel could even be vaporizing in the fuel rail. So that would be the next thing to check.

I just changed the fuel pump on my 2006 LC over the weekend. Its a pretty easy job.
Here is the correct Denso part number: 950-0210
The pump is a 100% match but the strainer that came with the kit was different.

could also be a "hot soak" issue meaning one or more fuel injectors are starting to go bad (leaking into cylinders on hot day after shutdown)

What you're describing sounds like a fuel delivery issue, bad spark plugs or coils wouldn't prevent the truck from starting unless ALL went bad which is impossible unless it was an electrical issue. I'd run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the next tank and maybe start keeping an eye/ear for a fuel pump. We just did a customer's v8 4runner with similar issue, long long long cranks and sometimes it doesn't start, changed the fuel pump and it fixed it. Too bad for him we had to drop the tank and charged him a buttload, with 100 series lift the seat and swap it out. Easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom