Back in the market for a cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was briefly shopping for a land cruiser last year but ended up getting something else (it was basically free! Who can say no to free!?).

Now I'm starting to look again and thought I'd see if anyone here was looking to sell. Pickings are somewhat slim on CL at the moment. I'm looking at a 100 series this afternoon and an LX470 tonight.

What I'm interested in: a DD'able 60,80 or 100 series. Might consider a 4Runner, 4 door Tacoma/tundra or Lexus GX. Mods are fine. Needs to be clean with minimal to no rust. I'm not looking for a project, I've already got one of those. $10k max.

bonus points if the seller will let me run it through MD inspection before purchasing.

If anyone knows of something, let me know!

How far are you willing to travel to look at one? Not that I have a line on one but I often jump around regions on CL to places I have family or friends in case something pops up that I can't live without.

How far are you willing to travel to look at one? Not that I have a line on one but I often jump around regions on CL to places I have family or friends in case something pops up that I can't live without.

Maybe, but I'd prefer to stay closer by. A big consideration is the whole Maryland inspection process. I'm sort of padding $ 1-2k for repairs into what I'll offer.

Im setting my CL search to a 150 mile radius. Finding half a day to go check out a truck isn't always an option so closer is nice.

I looked at 200k mile 100 series yesterday but the guy couldn't find the key to start it! It was rougher looking than the ad! But he did say he'd sell it for $4k

You'll have better luck finding a rust free 80 than a 100. The 100 series frames are terrible. Check the passenger sway bar bracket at the frame and the cross member above the rear axle on the drivers side. Listen for an exhaust tick when starting cold. The manifolds crack and it's not a fun job.

You'll have better luck finding a rust free 80 than a 100. The 100 series frames are terrible. Check the passenger sway bar bracket at the frame and the cross member above the rear axle on the drivers side. Listen for an exhaust tick when starting cold. The manifolds crack and it's not a fun job.

Good to know where the most rust prone spots are. Thanks Ryan!

I drove the $4k 100 series and despite driving wonderfully, it had a long list of needs. I'm seeing a lot of clean looking 100 series trucks near philly.. no sure I want to travel that far.

Last week I started thinking "land cruiser" and there was a really clean dealer serviced 100 series and practically new looking LX450 in Bethesda. Figures!

I've got a couple to look at on Monday. Hopefully find one sooner than later!

Eek. That bad huh!

the frame repairs that Vince and Nathan were doing....was that on a 100 series?

I've seen a couple Tundras that have had frame replacements under a recall. I'd imagine similar frame construction with the cruisers?

Yeah that is the GX470. I am doing research myself so when the time comes I'll have figured out what I want and know what to look out for. The 470's are much more plentiful than the 100 series and are still very capable. They are sold as a Land cruiser elsewhere in the world, so they still count right :)

@OTRAMM How much does a timing belt service on a 100 series usually run?

This one looked reasonably clean from the outside. I think it was 130k-ish.

upload_2017-5-16_10-11-1.jpeg

Passenger side front sway bar mount was broken off:
upload_2017-5-16_10-11-53.jpeg

upload_2017-5-16_10-12-5.jpeg

crossmember behind the axle, driver side:

upload_2017-5-16_10-12-55.jpeg

well a picture(s) tells a thousand words! This pretty much makes me not want to buy anything sight unseen!

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser

This was just posted on CL. Price is tempting, might be worth checking out. A few issues at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom