Axle grease slinging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r71

Threads
Hello all,

I've gone through 2 sets of OEM axles in the last 10 years. I guess it doesn't sound that bad. But I'm a 4x4 poser. I hardly do offroading. Just once in a while. I have your typical OME lift. I believe it's the 2.5? The one with the diff drop. Anyhoo, I keep getting grease leakage from the boot, the side close to the engine. This problem is identical on both sides and same on the previous axles. I'm on my 3rd pair and it's the same. If I clean the area, it looks brand new. The clam is in tact and no tear. But over time the grease slowly comes out.

Obviously the axle angle is too much, but if I drop the front lower, I'd rub. And my lift is not extreme. It's the off the shelf lift from Slee.

Anyone have this problem. I do need to repack those boots. Any recommendations which kit to buy?

What size tires are you running and what gives you the idea that you will rub if you lower the torsion bars? It is likely that you are lifted too much in the front. You could get new clamps for the boots. If it has just been seeping for a little while you likely do not need to repack, but if it has lost most of the grease you might want to get the reboot kit.

I'm running 33's. I tried lowing it and it rubs. Only when fully locked. It's actually hitting now at full lockout. Just not so bad.

Factory. But I have wheel spacers. Maybe that's the problem.

Have you replaced the oem clamps with worm gear clamps yet? If not, that should solve your problem.

@badlander Are worm gear clamp better than the oem. Hence not allow the grease to get out or twist out?

Sometimes the small clamp on the inner boot is not clamped with enough tension and it will leak a little- mine started right after the warranty period 🤨. You can tighten the the clamp with the right tool- OTC makes a good one.

Check your front height- 21.5” is a good hub center to fender lip setting (2”) that yields a little better than 70mm droop- if it’s too high, you’ll limit droop <50mm and that will impact your angles and put some additional stress on the boot/clamp.

Napa sells CV boot clamps- I think a better option to worm clamps.

1695524428521.png

Factory. But I have wheel spacers. Maybe that's the problem.

There is your rubbing problem. 33" should fit with no issues on stock wheels, even on the stock suspension.

I recently reclamped a CV with the above linked clamps from Cruiser Garage. They solved my slinging grease with ease. No issue with them or negative side effects.

Reactions: r71
@badlander Are worm gear clamp better than the oem. Hence not allow the grease to get out or twist out?
Yes, you can adjust the tension as required to stop any leaking that presents itself. They are also very easy to remove, replace, and adjust in the field which is almost impossible with orher styles of clamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom