Axle/Birf/Flange Question for 1992 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm in the thick of a front axle job and wondered if you could help. I have a 1992 FJ80.

I was working on the passenger side with my buddy yesterday, and he got a little rough trying to seat the new birf in the old axle shaft. Now the end of the axle shaft is gouged and won't even go into the birf. So I'm looking at a new axle shaft.

The outer end of the birf doesn't look like new anymore, but I think it's OK. He tried to pound it in... while I was inside my house. They are Terrain Tamer birfs w/o ABS.

I saw on a previous thread talk of putting 94– flanges on a 1992 because they're longer. Should I do this? Will a 1994– flange work with a birf designed for a 1992? Do you have to do anything else re: birf or the axle shaft in order for that to work? I'd hate to have to eat one or two birfs that I already have...

Now that I'm in a position to have to order new/unforeseen parts, I was particularly looking at getting new flanges.

Thanks for your help.

-Frank

p.s. No comments on my friend needed. Lesson learned...

Last edited:
Pictures of the carnage would help. Depending, sometimes spline damage can be cleaned up with a triangle shaped file. Are your birfs short or long? Check the drive plates for wear, early ones are prone to strip. You can put later drive plate on early birf, just have to retain it with a bolt and washer.

I'm pretty sure they're short birfs. Part number is 4305-60120G, from Terrain Tamer via Beno. I'll try to upload pictures later. I see where the right/short axle shaft can be ordered for ~$100.

Re: bolt and washer, what would my source for that be?

Pictures of the carnage would help. Depending, sometimes spline damage can be cleaned up with a triangle shaped file. Are your birfs short or long? Check the drive plates for wear, early ones are prone to strip. You can put later drive plate on early birf, just have to retain it with a bolt and washer.

Re: bolt and washer, what would my source for that be?

Spare bolt bin, hardware store? The washer needs to be big enough to cover the face of the flange, but small enough for the cap to fit. The bolt is a short m8x1.25.

It's too late for me to sound dumb, but...

How do I tell if I have short birfs or long birfs? What are some examples of the longer ones?

I definitely do need new drive flanges. There's a lot of play.

-Frank

Spare bolt bin, hardware store? The washer needs to be big enough to cover the face of the flange, but small enough for the cap to fit. The bolt is a short m8x1.25.

Early flanges are 25mm total depth, post 94 are 35mm.
With the later birfs, you get 30% more spline engagement with the extra length. This reduces wear on the splines.

Using late flanges with early birfs, you'll get maybe an extra 4-5mm of spline engaged by the time you consider the C clip groove, and short shaft.

Flanges are cheap, I'd just get the matching flanges. In another 150k swap the birfs and flanges for post 94 parts

Thanks for the perspective and explanation. That sounds like a plan.

Axle shaft + a pair of matching flanges, and I should be back in business.

I'm envious of the Land Cruiser options in Australia (and elsewhere in the world).

-Frank

Early flanges are 25mm total depth, post 94 are 35mm.
With the later birfs, you get 30% more spline engagement with the extra length. This reduces wear on the splines.

Using late flanges with early birfs, you'll get maybe an extra 4-5mm of spline engaged by the time you consider the C clip groove, and short shaft.

Flanges are cheap, I'd just get the matching flanges. In another 150k swap the birfs and flanges for post 94 parts

New birfields are the same as the old. Total length ~238 mm, outer splines, though are 35 mm. So does that mean mine are the later, longer birfs?

Last edited:
Tested post 93 flanges? which one to get. I checked with Toyota here in Alberta and was told 156 C$ a pop and will have to wait 6 weeks to get them............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom