Auxiliary fuse/relay panel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you Bryson for that info. Yes, I knew that the current needed to operate the relays was low.
Adding a fuse is a good idea, I'll do that.
I guess the cleanest / most organized way of getting one wire [ from the ign switch ] through the firewall, to the 5 relays in the said fuse panel, is with a terminal block?

Are you referring to something similar to this?
https://www.amazon.com/Speedway-Mot...857305&sr=8-4&keywords=battery+cable+bulkhead
That'd definitely work, but I don't know that it's necessary. I'd just drill a hole and use a grommet, or even better, find an existing hole and use that. IIRC on a Sami, you can pierce the boot where the factory harness goes through the firewall and fish your wire through there too.

Thanks for your reply Bryson. It's nice to have someone to "bounce" my ideas off of for wiring this samurai diesel swap project.

My plan is to have a main 250 amp buss bar in the engine bay MaxiBus 250A BusBar - Four 5/16"-18 Studs - Blue Sea Systems

All of the positive wiring, including the samurai wiring harness current wire, will come from that one main buss bar. I have a Blue Sea battery disconnect, and so the battery will be connected to this buss bar via wiring of this the disconnect HD-Series - Blue Sea Systems .

So, Battery, alt, alt sensor wire, dual 12" Acme diesel fans, starter, LED flood lamps, Devils Own water / meth injection pump, ARB Compressor switches, Erik's Aux Fuse Box, Blue Sea fused terminal for "pimping the glow plugs" with 80 amp starter solenoid, etc, will all be getting power to / from the 250 amp buss bar. The glow plug fuse box;
ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems

Because most of those items require a relay, and because I want the relays coils wired to switched 12v. I need to supply 12 switched current to about 11 different relays with only one wire coming from the ignition switch acc terminal.
To keep it neat and organized, I plan to use this smaller 150 amp buss bar to connect the relays' coil wires to. Yes, it's overkill at 150 amps, but it's either the Blue Sea products or poor quality chinese-made products for me to choose from......
Common 150A BusBar - 10 Gang with Cover - Blue Sea Systems

I will use the same 150 amp buss bar for engine bay grounds......because the samurai was made with too many body / frame / bumper grounds that corrode and cause headaches. I Just need to find room to put all of these things somewhere........

Anyway, I have a question about Erik's Fuse Box [ configuration C ] please.
The relays in the box are marked " 35A / 20A ". If I'm reading this correctly, that relay is good for 20 amps when the coil is energized [ normally open ] and 35 amps when normally closed. BUT, each relay circuit came with a 30 amp fuse. Huh? I'm not sure what significance the "normally closed" 35A rating is for, since the relay is not conducting current to the load item in normally closed. Am I reading this correctly?

The reason I ask is........I am told to run a 30 amp fuse on the dual Acme rad fans, as per the Acme owner. I would like to run both fans from just one circuit on Erik's fuse box, but, will it handle the current load? I could run two circuits, but my preference is the former if possible.

Thoughts?

It sounds to me like the Acme fans would be a little too much for the relays in the aux fuse/relay panel. I'd try to run a 40A relay (standard ISO relay versus the smaller 1/2 ISO relays in these boxes) and larger gauge wiring for the fans. Or, you could dedicate 2 smaller relays run in parallel for the fans so each relay carries half the load.

The 35A rating is between pins 87 and 30 (normally open/NO - only when the relay coil is energized.) The 20A rating on the relay is between pins 87a and 30 (normally closed/NC - when the relay coil is NOT energized.) The lower amp rating usually applies to the NC side. In most automotive applications including this one, the 35A rating is the one that matters.

5-pin relays can be wired to run current through the NC side so that when you switch the relay "on", it interrupts the circuit and turns "off" whatever it was running - that is where the 20A rating of these relays would matter. But, I don't think that is of concern in your application.

Thanks for your thoughts and the explanation on how the amperage ratings are read differently on auto relays. Now it makes sense.

I researched "micro relays" a little more, and yep.......it seem about 20 amps continuous current NC position, is the limit for these little guys.
Options.......as suggested.......use two of the micro relays for the Acme fans, or one 30 / 40 amp relay.

Well, after 7 years and nearly 1000 Headlight Harnesses and Aux Panels, I've decided to cease production. I saved out enough parts to take care of any warrantee issues, so if you purchased one of my Headlight Harnesses or Aux Panels, I will continue to take care of you, but I won't be building any new ones. Thanks to everyone for your support.

Erik

Dang. Looks like I'm a year and a few days late for one of these. It couldn't be avoided. My cruiser is just now getting pieced back together.
I would have driven over to your house to pick it up neighbor :)
I'll scrub this thread to see about sourcing my own parts to build something similar.

Dang. Looks like I'm a year and a few days late for one of these. It couldn't be avoided. My cruiser is just now getting pieced back together.
I would have driven over to your house to pick it up neighbor :)
I'll scrub this thread to see about sourcing my own parts to build something similar.

You may be in luck. I think I have one in the box, untouched and never installed. I'll check when I'm in the house with the Troopy early next week and let you know.

You may be in luck. I think I have one in the box, untouched and never installed. I'll check when I'm in the house with the Troopy early next week and let you know.

Haha, If the fella above me doesn’t “pull trigger” , LMK - I just tossed a pair of Blue Sea panels I originally slated for my 80 into my boat electrics/electronics upgrade, so this would be a piece I’d want to replace what I was doing in Blue Sea stuff.

I know I posted forever ago here, since I just got the notice on this thread.

LMK - I’m game for the panel if you really want to sell.

i have one too. never used.

i have one too. never used.

If @gericurl takes the one that @thenative1 has, I’m easy money for yours.

I’d sent a PM to @thenative1 ,basically to the effect I was hoping to be 2nd in line
but I def want one from any of you who have one doing the dustbunny thing.

I’ll shoot a PM your way too, I’d bet @gericurl will prob grab that one.

@LINUS @Cruiser804 If you guys want to go ahead and see if you can put a deal together, it won't hurt my feelings. I'll hold out hope that @thenative1 finds his at the other house and hopefully work something out with him. If for some reason it doesn't work with him, I'll circle back around and see if Cruiser804's is sold or not.

@LINUS @Cruiser804 If you guys want to go ahead and see if you can put a deal together, it won't hurt my feelings. I'll hold out hope that @thenative1 finds his at the other house and hopefully work something out with him. If for some reason it doesn't work with him, I'll circle back around and see if Cruiser804's is sold or not.

OK, I’m game for that idea - I never thought any were still un-installed - but I’ll start /keep talking to @Cruiser804 for his then, leave you & @thenative1 to make your transaction.

Thanks for the quick reply / communication!

If anymore are found in new form, I would be willing to purchase.

thanks
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom