Auto Up Window Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I got it all sorted. I was surprised how much carbon/soot had built up considering it's a fairly new Landcruiser (2011). I was also surprised it made the window motor run faster by 20-25%

Finally did this mod today. Decided to see if i could mount the diode on the component side of the board.

I could!

azAdc6DqOXqmQ2CJ9-2Cm3ztS1dYgL_rh3SqlSdG7iwu-zYmGauSa03hQVjgPJLyXpJbKakNutq-OybFGtVHjsgxiY7KAEChns98Vkxebc5Cwhy08-QqsYiHxl4KYTjl-iXaAhpMIHju02Y18_Z8XrMw_BSgeoVS72lFuPMA5ACvJhvnJJarqn5UNnHBPR22AwwjehZE-N_I_-UgA42XoaV02kELE6p-95_3-oP9c-0ANUzDGPowEyV5CHwqISmsHms3LR6CytjCuqYO-ouuCutrg2u1d_E21dHL6UmGdCcTRUzQ37M602z48CbUPoavVJjBCdV2VrofCdfaU6jCsgGSZrQQa4upY6xwWB37MMgv5mX5IjV1pHeulNvwiL-J7BtKvutbZXJa7Rm9Opm3OcHqx9zdH_Kiq9hj2b6ZgFsS2tck7kT4YeTYQFP8vAfnOncIjp_A9YMDUpe4p3essRidjal1lF8rof4umPrHD-6HHiM2Rf3I3KOBEY7JXB94yeoWTcJd1qBF5o5tzV_D4PRINslMEA36ArpdAZ4R-p7ll8ZsIH7mMd6Z-qFH7NDlv9qb=w1421-h799-no

Nicely done. I also found with some patience and skills from 10th grade shop I managed to get the diode on the component side. A nice modification.

First i bent the leads into the standard U, then curved the pair of them sideways, so i could hold the body of the diode while fiddling the ends of the leads through the board, then pulled them all the way through.

I just did this today on my Australian '97 40th anniversary cruiser, super easy to do, jaycar has the necessary diodes. There was no difference between my car and the US one in the pictures on page 1 that I could see. I'm not even sure if the pcb was a mirror image or not.

one other thing, I did separate the black section with the toggle switches from the white half with the electronics, putting it back together after cleaning all the contacts was easy.

*sorry for the large photos

removed the drivers window toggle.
phpeyBr.jpg

(when you slide that long pin back through afterwards, push it all the way till it stops and then pull it back a fraction to clip the clippy back on.)

file down the little stoppers and re install.
Q3FGfL0.jpg

These are the diodes from Jaycar (aussie radioshack)
p16NjOI.jpg

here you can see I have opened up the correct holes with the soldering iron, bent the diode legs and trimmed them down so I'll still be able to insert it from the underside without having to remove the pcb. Make sure you orient the diode correctly before putting it into place.
UCu6Ts3.jpg

soldered in place. I did trim the long legs off it before putting it back together.
fXNnRLN.jpg

So this is what happens when you unscrew the black bit from the white bit. 2 little springs and 8 little rocker things fall out. yay.
hxbT6e7.jpg

From what i have seen on here, the springs are a pain in everyones arse. It took me a little while but when i looked closely, on the underside of the black half there are these two contacts, one of them has a faint circle worn into it. this is from contact with the springs.
5P7Zitz.jpg

From there it's not hard to find the little posts that the springs sit on so after cleaning all the contacts, place the springs over the posts like this
XXifPMu.jpg

this is what it should look like before you lower the black bit back onto the white half. you can see in this picture that I have placed all the little rockers back into their spots. it still looks a little dirty but the important bits are clean. I used isopropyl alcohol, a green scouring pad from the kitchen sink and a needle file to clean them up.
5aBBAo3.jpg

carefully lower the black bit back down, tighten up the screws evenly and you are done. hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Dorman 901-770 switch able to take the auto up modification?

Thanks
George

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but isn't the Child-Head thing only a problem with the toggle type window switches? The ones you could actually kneel on in order to get the window to go up. Our cruisers don't have these types of switches...you have to pull the switch up in order for the window to come up. Are these types of switches not standard on all cruisers? If so, what's the worry?

I just did this today on my Australian '97 40th anniversary cruiser, super easy to do, jaycar has the necessary diodes. There was no difference between my car and the US one in the pictures on page 1 that I could see. I'm not even sure if the pcb was a mirror image or not.

one other thing, I did separate the black section with the toggle switches from the white half with the electronics, putting it back together after cleaning all the contacts was easy.

*sorry for the large photos

removed the drivers window toggle.
phpeyBr.jpg

(when you slide that long pin back through afterwards, push it all the way till it stops and then pull it back a fraction to clip the clippy back on.)

file down the little stoppers and re install.
Q3FGfL0.jpg

These are the diodes from Jaycar (aussie radioshack)
p16NjOI.jpg

here you can see I have opened up the correct holes with the soldering iron, bent the diode legs and trimmed them down so I'll still be able to insert it from the underside without having to remove the pcb. Make sure you orient the diode correctly before putting it into place.
UCu6Ts3.jpg

soldered in place. I did trim the long legs off it before putting it back together.
fXNnRLN.jpg

So this is what happens when you unscrew the black bit from the white bit. 2 little springs and 8 little rocker things fall out. yay.
hxbT6e7.jpg

From what i have seen on here, the springs are a pain in everyones arse. It took me a little while but when i looked closely, on the underside of the black half there are these two contacts, one of them has a faint circle worn into it. this is from contact with the springs.
5P7Zitz.jpg

From there it's not hard to find the little posts that the springs sit on so after cleaning all the contacts, place the springs over the posts like this
XXifPMu.jpg

this is what it should look like before you lower the black bit back onto the white half. you can see in this picture that I have placed all the little rockers back into their spots. it still looks a little dirty but the important bits are clean. I used isopropyl alcohol, a green scouring pad from the kitchen sink and a needle file to clean them up.
5aBBAo3.jpg

carefully lower the black bit back down, tighten up the screws evenly and you are done. hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the high res pictures. I'll be doing this on my hdj81!

FWIW you can get the diode in on the interior face without taking it apart. Open the holes, trim the legs, place with tweezers, tack with soldering iron from below, flip and solder fully.
Also disassembled fully and cleaned the contacts. Big difference in window speed and mine weren't that bad.
DSCN0864.JPG

DSCN0866.JPG

DSCN0867.JPG

Did this mod today with Wits’ End diode. Super easy and love having this feature on the 80 now! Thanks to those who came up with this!

Did the mod today. Purchased 4004 diode from jaycar. Pulled the diode the proper way through the circuit board and soldered it up. Decided to pull it fully apart carefully so I could clean the contacts , as my windows are snail 🐌 slow. Gave it all a good clean and put it all back together and works great. Windows a tiny bit better, will need to replace my window rubbers/felts and maybe try some silicone spray, to get some speed in the windows again.

9CAC9A1E-D5C3-414E-BAB2-20C00835E030.jpeg

Step 2. You'll need to add a Diode to the PCB to allow the holding solenoid to be activated in the up position. I used a diode from the provided switch assembly. The orientation of the diode is important. There is a stripe on one end and it has to be installed as pictured or it won't work.
View attachment 530
Hello
My 97 FZJ80 driver door window control circuit board is different than the one in your pics. PO may have replaced it with a switchdoctor brand. Any idea where do I connect the 4001 diode? See pics below & thanks for the help

C9F60EDF-E6BA-4101-808A-6177906A00E3.jpeg

D937AD11-AB97-492C-913B-53639BCFA23A.jpeg

66D3061B-1D1C-44E9-B5A7-1DA57E0943AB.jpeg

Just before I dive into this - has anyone tried maybe sourcing a few switch sets from a scrapyard and just replicating the driver's side button 4X onto the other windows? Or will that not work?

Just before I dive into this - has anyone tried maybe sourcing a few switch sets from a scrapyard and just replicating the driver's side button 4X onto the other windows? Or will that not work?
I don’t think it’s posible due to the circuit ukases for auto up

Well, looks like I have one of these “other” switch assemblies….I’ve read the entire thread and not one mention on modifying this type. Can it be done?? ‘91 cruiser….

D0C91373-4F3E-44FE-B0FC-4BC9FC82AC64.jpeg

794DF2F8-9DDD-4A0A-BBFA-B694BD943EFA.jpeg

EA18E377-94B9-4F0E-8FF2-C66CE24EF716.jpeg

369746D2-78EE-42A1-9015-5B87B5638F84.jpeg

Never tried this mod, but I must say this is an incredible forum when the OP replies to a thread that is 18 years old. Congrats @landtank. 👍

I was thinking this too. Having an RHD in the US, I was hoping I could make my passenger (LH) window auto as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom