Wanted Austin, TX: FJ40 - Rear Half Doors with Hinges and Latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MatthewMcD

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gunsdogsandfood.com
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Looking to replace the solid rear panel in my '75 FJ40 with split lower doors. I'd love to get them with both sides of the hinges and the center latch.
20231123_210513148_iOS.jpg

FYI. Your tub won’t work with that style door, you would need to do some fabrication work on the doors to make them work. Your tub is made for ambulance doors.

Iirc btb in Henderson was doing reproduction hinges. And mark me third on agreeing that a tailgate is a better choice.

Your tub will require mods for hinges for either barn doors or a tailgate. Either way you will have to open the spare to open the back. But already have to open the hatch. Keep in mind the overall size of the opening is the same for barn doors, tailgate and Ambulance doors. When install anything but a ambulance doors on an ambulance door tub what you use will fit into the notch opening. I actually tried a tailgate on a US 76 with ambulance doors. Tailgate is thee width as barn doors. OEM hinges with spacers to move door type would work. Thought about putting ambulance doors on my 68 FHT. That was a long time ago and just ended but a few 75 hard top Faj 40s and FST FJ40.

1/79 the tub changed and would require rounding the bottom corners

Your tub will require mods for hinges for either barn doors or a tailgate. Either way you will have to open the spare to open the back. But already have to open the hatch. Keep in mind the overall size of the opening is the same for barn doors, tailgate and Ambulance doors. When install anything but a ambulance doors on an ambulance door tub what you use will fit into the notch opening. I actually tried a tailgate on a US 76 with ambulance doors. Tailgate is thee width as barn doors. OEM hinges with spacers to move door type would work. Thought about putting ambulance doors on my 68 FHT. That was a long time ago and just ended but a few 75 hard top Faj 40s and FST FJ40.

1/79 the tub changed and would require rounding the bottom corners
Thanks for the details. I like the idea of the tailgate better than the doors if I can solve the hinge issue. Not worried about the spare as I have to move it already for the hatch. (I love the bigger glass of the hatch and I already refirb'd the struts with gas.)

If I can sort out the hinges and latches this'll be a good solution. Looking in unobtanium I am stunned no one is fabricating these commonly requested items.

Thanks for the details. I like the idea of the tailgate better than the doors if I can solve the hinge issue. Not worried about the spare as I have to move it already for the hatch. (I love the bigger glass of the hatch and I already refirb'd the struts with gas.)

If I can sort out the hinges and latches this'll be a good solution. Looking in unobtanium I am stunned no one is fabricating these commonly requested items.

I've seen the catches for the side latches custom made to use the holes for the ambulance door hinges in the tub. The latches on the sides are the same as the spare tire latch and barn doors. Right side is fairly easy to find. Left is only 75/76 FHT on the spare tire carrier. Other markets RHD spare tire and barn doors are correct.

Like I said the tailgate will fit flush with the back of the tub. I have a picture somewhere on a hard drive.
71 tailgate sitting flush on a 76 FHT with ambulance doors.
003 (2).JPG

This has been on my to-do list for years. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Real Steel tailgate, unless a solid used comes up for sale.
I figure I'll be making some stk looking hinges and catches. On my 75 I've adapted a tube style tire carrier, which frees up the rare left latch from the stk plate style tire carrier. At some point I'll be cutting the amby doors to fit.

This has been on my to-do list for years. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Real Steel tailgate, unless a solid used comes up for sale.
I figure I'll be making some stk looking hinges and catches. On my 75 I've adapted a tube style tire carrier, which frees up the rare left latch from the stk plate style tire carrier. At some point I'll be cutting the amby doors to fit.
Cool, I am chatting with BTB, the storage version looks perfect plus add lockable storage. It comes with all the necessary hardware. I am sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom