Aussie Made 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi ih8mud community,

I'm looking for inspiration, ideas, and discussion around my current project.

These days it is more important than ever to support your local manufacturing and businesses.
* I encourage everyone to support their own countries' manufacturing, not just my own.

I’m on a mission to setup up my 80 as a tourer, and my goal will be to use exclusively Australian Made products. (because I'm Australian 🇦🇺)
* With the exception of:
  • Components that are simply not made In Australia for consumers.
  • The big ticket items that I already own, such as bull bar (ARB), winch (Warn), compressor (twin ARB), fridge (40l Engel)
I've scoured the country looking for quality manufacturers and strive to get most, if not all, of my build done with 100% Australian goods.

Current suppliers list / wish list
* I have NO affiliation with ANY of these companies, and have paid retail for all items I currently own.

• Redarc – battery management and gauges
  • Tycab – automotive cable
  • Century - batteries
  • GME – UFH, antenna
  • Kaymar – rear bar protection
  • Maxtrax - recovery
  • Sandgrabba - interior
  • Blacksmith Camping Supplies – organisation & storage
  • Drifta – organisation & storage
  • Solar Screens - interior
  • Willow – fuel and water storage
  • Supa-Peg – awning, pegs, poles
  • Airbag man –suspension assist
  • Fyrlyt – driving lights
  • Ultra vision – light bar
  • Just straps – recovery, load restraints
  • Crystal Air (Travel buddy - 12v oven) - cooking
  • Open Sky Touring (Expedition 134) – storage
  • Southern Metal Spinners - cooking
  • Clearview - mirrors
  • Harrop - Elocker

I plan to make a rear storage / drawer unit system in the rear and fabricate what I can myself. (because… fun!) I’ve taken out all the rear/third row seats and plan to utilise the entire rear for my project.

Would love to hear about more innovative Aussie made items to consider using and what other people are doing.

Thanks,
Aussie Made 80

Last edited:
Hey mate I've been doing the same sort of thing over the last year or two. Im sick of all the cheap Chinese stuff and inability to repair it.
Whenever I replace anything I try to make sure its Australian made or a product that offers replacement parts and service.
I bought a Supa Peg awning last year and I couldn't be happier.
I replaced my worn out swag with one from AOS. Its brilliant.
My camp chair doesn't have much life left in it so if you hear of an company making Australian made chairs let me know. I haven't been able to find one.

Last edited:
My camp chair doesn't have much life left in it so if you hear of an company making Australian made chairs let me know. I haven't been able to find one.
Nice one. Good to hear, mate. Which Supa Peg awning did you go with?
I’m in the same boat with my chair. Weathered and failing after a few years... no guesses where it was made. But it was free with a pair of RM boots, so can’t complain. Supa Peg make poles and canvas goods, perhaps they should investigate combining the two into a chair! If I come across anything, I’ll be sure to post it.

Whoo hooo another few Aussies here on this page, great to see.
I have been unemployed for many years with a back problem and have scored my 80 series at a bargain price from a friend a few years ago and like you in the process of setting it up to go touring and Geocaching around Australia in the not too distant future. I have done a lot of things myself or bought things off FB marketplace or just made myself. I did succumb to the one thing that I couldn't or didn't want to build myself, although I do have the ability and skills needed was a draw set and some of the prices, when I was looking at them, were OMG out of this world and way out of my price range so I saved up my pennies and bought on special a Titan rear draw system from SupaCentre. It is very hard at times to buy Aussie when comparing prices of others out there. I'm all for keeping the money here but sometimes because the business is from another business you don't really know where the stuff is from or where the head office really is.. Ill follow this and see what you blokes come up with....

Last edited:
Hey mate I've been doing the same sort of thing over the last year or two. Im sick of all the cheap Chinese stuff and inability to repair it.
Whenever I replace anything I try to make sure its Australian made or a product that offers replacement parts and service.
Definitely try to stay away from Chinese knock offs as much as possible, no matter how irresistible the price is.

Definitely try to stay away from Chinese knock offs as much as possible, no matter how irresistible the price is.
I always remember that old saying when it comes to Chinese knock off parts, quality is long remembered, but cheap Chinese crap is soon forgotten.

I always remember that old saying when it comes to Chinese knock off parts, quality is long remembered, but cheap Chinese crap is soon forgotten.
Reminds me of what I heard a a bloke on YouTube said yesterday. “Buy once, cry once” - might cost a small fortune once, but will last a lifetime (or 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom