August 2023 Club Run - Monache Meadows, August 10-13 (+/_) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joe and the gang.
I'll meet you Thurs at mohave staters brother at 11am

Given what I expect may be extra camping pressure, due to the extended winter & shortened camping season we had in the Sierras (Kennedy Meadows, at a lower elevation on the way to Monache Meadows, was closed until just recently!), I will go up early to try to ensure sufficient camping space for our group. Additionally, I'm not sure what to expect in the "River Campsites" area, due to the excessive snowmelt runoff this year. I understand that at the July club meeting a few others expressed interest in going up early. That would be great! Would you please LMK if you're planning to go up early so we can coordinate?

I know that sometimes schedules are fluid, but I need to ask you to confirm with me by Tuesday, August 8th, (at the latest, please!) if you are going on this run, so I can try to grab the right sized spot. You may call, text, email, or respond to this thread.

As we get closer, we'll finalize a meeting time & location, for any who might wish to caravan up from Orange County on Friday morning. From Orange County, you can expect about a 3 hour drive to the Nine Mile Canyon/Kennedy Meadows turn off from Hwy 395, another hour up the aforementioned road to the Blackrock Ranger/Fire Station, and then a final hour on the trail into Monache Meadows.

For now, I'm hoping to find camping between coordinates 36.23500, -118.18764 to 36.23967, -118.18803, if that area is not flooded or filled with campers. Plan B is near 36.20752, -118.17640.

For those of you with ham radios, we will use frequency 146.535. See you there!
Planning to attend this run. Caravan with dat.

Marc

GPX file from 395 to river campsites. I created this in GIAA but have exported as a .gpx file so you should be able to import to GIAA, Garmin, etc.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• monache-meadows.gpx
    194.4 KB · Views: 41
Given what I expect may be extra camping pressure, due to the extended winter & shortened camping season we had in the Sierras (Kennedy Meadows, at a lower elevation on the way to Monache Meadows, was closed until just recently!), I will go up early to try to ensure sufficient camping space for our group. Additionally, I'm not sure what to expect in the "River Campsites" area, due to the excessive snowmelt runoff this year. I understand that at the July club meeting a few others expressed interest in going up early. That would be great! Would you please LMK if you're planning to go up early so we can coordinate?

I know that sometimes schedules are fluid, but I need to ask you to confirm with me by Tuesday, August 8th, (at the latest, please!) if you are going on this run, so I can try to grab the right sized spot. You may call, text, email, or respond to this thread.

As we get closer, we'll finalize a meeting time & location, for any who might wish to caravan up from Orange County on Friday morning. From Orange County, you can expect about a 3 hour drive to the Nine Mile Canyon/Kennedy Meadows turn off from Hwy 395, another hour up the aforementioned road to the Blackrock Ranger/Fire Station, and then a final hour on the trail into Monache Meadows.

For now, I'm hoping to find camping between coordinates 36.23500, -118.18764 to 36.23967, -118.18803, if that area is not flooded or filled with campers. Plan B is near 36.20752, -118.17640.

For those of you with ham radios, we will use frequency 146.535. See you there!
I'm comin! 1st club run. Be gentle. Planning to roll out early Friday morning to arrive midday.

i'm thinking wed arrival (says the lc that cries wolf). anyone else thinking wed...lets convoy.

I am a little concerned about water crossing. My rig has zero/nadda water fording mods.

thoough unlikely, hoping to get depth status prior to trip.....advice? maybe joe, you can use your often cited ham radio to connect to a later leaving rig w status and they can post here. same goes if you have an inreach or other such satelite comm gizmo. I have one....we can cordinate if you choose this method of comm. feel free to call me to discuss.

this might be a "poke and hope" scenario...poke/walk crossing and if too deep camp on the approach side.

maybe we should have a "group water mod" event prior to trip?

I am brining my mountain bike, so can wade that accross (i hope) to join some of the fun if need be.
Im bringing my bike too! Hope there are riding possibilities!

Super bummed I wont be able to make this club run! It's been a while since I've hit Monache and have been wanting to go back sometime this year. I have prior commitments with a few photographers to shoot the meteor shower happening this weekend in Joshua Tree. Till the next run!

Im bringing my bike too! Hope there are riding possibilities!a

Im bringing my bike too! Hope there are riding possibilities!
according to gaia (trail forks layer), there are numerous trails just to the south and west of our proposed base camp locations. mostly blue level with one/two green ones (beginners). i'll post a screen shot hopefully later today.

There is nothing gentle about the 80 in your avatar if that is what you are driving.
Kidding aside Marc and I are also driving in on Friday. We plan to meet up around 12:30 at Pearsonville Shell station. Please look for us if you are there at around the same time.
meeting Joe & posse @ Kennedy Meadows General Store thursday @ 1p plus/minus.

I'm bringing my mountain bike. any one else?
Hi I would join you around the same time Thursday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom