August 2023 Club Run - Monache Meadows, August 10-13 (+/_) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Given what I expect may be extra camping pressure, due to the extended winter & shortened camping season we had in the Sierras (Kennedy Meadows, at a lower elevation on the way to Monache Meadows, was closed until just recently!), I will go up early to try to ensure sufficient camping space for our group. Additionally, I'm not sure what to expect in the "River Campsites" area, due to the excessive snowmelt runoff this year. I understand that at the July club meeting a few others expressed interest in going up early. That would be great! Would you please LMK if you're planning to go up early so we can coordinate?

I know that sometimes schedules are fluid, but I need to ask you to confirm with me by Tuesday, August 8th, (at the latest, please!) if you are going on this run, so I can try to grab the right sized spot. You may call, text, email, or respond to this thread.

As we get closer, we'll finalize a meeting time & location, for any who might wish to caravan up from Orange County on Friday morning. From Orange County, you can expect about a 3 hour drive to the Nine Mile Canyon/Kennedy Meadows turn off from Hwy 395, another hour up the aforementioned road to the Blackrock Ranger/Fire Station, and then a final hour on the trail into Monache Meadows.

For now, I'm hoping to find camping between coordinates 36.23500, -118.18764 to 36.23967, -118.18803, if that area is not flooded or filled with campers. Plan B is near 36.20752, -118.17640.

For those of you with ham radios, we will use frequency 146.535. See you there!

Last edited:
I'm planning to go, 51/49 odds for now. Tentatively, I'll be leaving late Friday and arriving even later. No need to worry about space for me. I have always found a spot to car camp. I'll check Plan B location before proceeding to Plan A sites. Please post any change of location here so I can update my map.

Folks I know just came back from a camping trip North of the area, closer to Whitney portal. They report fast moving water in the area. I imagine a similar situation for the Kern River or any potential deep water crossings on the way to Monache Meadows. I'm still planning to go, just a bit concerned since I ain't got no snorkel!

Folks I know just came back from a camping trip North of the area, closer to Whitney portal. They report fast moving water in the area. I imagine a similar situation for the Kern River or any potential deep water crossings on the way to Monache Meadows. I'm still planning to go, just a bit concerned since I ain't got no snorkel!
We were up in the Lake Isabella/Kernville area 6 weeks ago. The main fork of the Kern River was moving faster than I’ve ever seen it, and it was fairly high on the banks. The very hot weather is melting the abundant snowfall pretty quickly. The South Fork is a smaller tributary, but I honestly don’t know what to expect there. I’ll probably call the Ranger Station the week before the trip to confirm conditions. I will also carefully check the 2 main river crossings to ensure that I feel comfortable. I don’t like going into water higher than the top of my 35” tires, and wouldn’t like it even if I had a snorkel.

I'm still planning to go, just a bit concerned since I ain't got no snorkel!
You do have 4" lift on 35's thiught don't you? You're better off than me and my 2" lift, 33's and a snorkel. I don't have the engine electricals protected against deep water. Remember a good bow wake is your friend!!

@DirtyRice Joe By early arrival, are you thinking Thursday and that spot on the right just before the very last river crossing??

@DirtyRice Joe By early arrival, are you thinking Thursday and that spot on the right just before the very last river crossing??
I don’t want to commit just yet, but I’m actually hoping to get there Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ll firm up as we get closer.

And, as far as camping; ideally, I’d like to get close to where we were last time, subject to the water crossings.

i'm thinking wed arrival (says the lc that cries wolf). anyone else thinking wed...lets convoy.

I am a little concerned about water crossing. My rig has zero/nadda water fording mods.

thoough unlikely, hoping to get depth status prior to trip.....advice? maybe joe, you can use your often cited ham radio to connect to a later leaving rig w status and they can post here. same goes if you have an inreach or other such satelite comm gizmo. I have one....we can cordinate if you choose this method of comm. feel free to call me to discuss.

this might be a "poke and hope" scenario...poke/walk crossing and if too deep camp on the approach side.

maybe we should have a "group water mod" event prior to trip?

I am brining my mountain bike, so can wade that accross (i hope) to join some of the fun if need be.

Last edited:
Did a ham radio 'test' years ago to see the effective reach of ham out of the meadow and all the way back at the river sites to Blackrock station. With both radios at a full 50 watts and full truck mounted antennas, it was spotty at best. 5 watt hand helds, no chance. Even a good truck mounted antenna at 5 watts, no chance.

i'm thinking wed arrival (says the lc that cries wolf). anyone else thinking wed...lets convoy.

I am a little concerned about water crossing. My rig has zero/nadda water fording mods.

thoough unlikely, hoping to get depth status prior to trip.....advice? maybe joe, you can use your often cited ham radio to connect to a later leaving rig w status and they can post here. same goes if you have an inreach or other such satelite comm gizmo. I have one....we can cordinate if you choose this method of comm. feel free to call me to discuss.

this might be a "poke and hope" scenario...poke/walk crossing and if too deep camp on the approach side.

maybe we should have a "group water mod" event prior to trip?

I am brining my mountain bike, so can wade that accross (i hope) to join some of the fun if need be.
As Brent said in post #9, the surrounding mountains severely limit radio coms. However, I do have a satellite communicator that I can use to text or email. Maybe I can provide updates to someone who’s planning to leave later, and that person can update this thread? Any volunteers?

I have never done Monache Meadow and would like to join the group for the trip. Do you think a stock LX 470 w/AHC, sliders and 33" tires will be suitable for this trip. I don't have a snorkel or water crossing mods.

Thanks

I have never done Monache Meadow and would like to join the group for the trip. Do you think a stock LX 470 w/AHC, sliders and 33" tires will be suitable for this trip. I don't have a snorkel or water crossing mods.

Thanks
Easily for the trail in and out.

River crossing given snow melt is a question for all of us, snorkel or not without electrical in the engine waterproofed.

Thanks

Under almost any other circumstances, I would say "Yes" without hesitation. A couple of years ago I did that trail with friends in a stock Wrangler (not a Rubicon) and a stock Grand Cherokee (with AHC and traction doo-dads). They were both fine, and they were inexperienced off-roaders (first time for the GC).

The water this year is the wild card. I have no idea what to expect at the 2 main water crossings. However, rest assured, I will not lead the group through a trail that I don't believe we are ALL capable of getting through without incident. Although I'm on 35's, I don't have a snorkel, either.

Club practice is to try and tailor the trails we select to accommodate the least capable rig/driver combination, even if a bit of spotting & rock-stacking is required to get that vehicle through. If you are the type of person who can trust a spotter, you should have no issues.

Plan "C", if we can't get to our Plan "A" choice; or if Plan "B" is already occupied and/or too small for our group will be to find dispersed camping somewhere in the area. That shouldn't be too hard, as we will be in the Sierras, after all. I hope this helps!

I have never done Monache Meadow
Me neither. But this is going to be fun! I'm excited just thinking about it.
they were inexperienced off-roaders
I'll be a Monache Meadows virgin!
You do have 4" lift on 35's...
I'm on OME soft 2.5" lift so more like 1 plus inches higher than stock after all the added armor and a 17K winch. The tires are only claimed at 35 in tall. But when aired down, I would say they are more or less 33's. IMO, my total lift is probably more or less the same as yours.

Anyhow, I'll be leaving for camp later on Friday and likely traveling alone and possibly after dark. Thinking ahead, how far is the first deep water crossing from camp in case I need to walk and get help? I'll bring a couple tow straps if I get in too deep. Please someone monitor the radio at 146.535, I know signal can be sh*tty but just in case.

Me neither. But this is going to be fun! I'm excited just thinking about it.

I'll be a Monache Meadows virgin!

I'm on OME soft 2.5" lift so more like 1 plus inches higher than stock after all the added armor and a 17K winch. The tires are only claimed at 35 in tall. But when aired down, I would say they are more or less 33's. IMO, my total lift is probably more or less the same as yours.

Anyhow, I'll be leaving for camp later on Friday and likely traveling alone and possibly after dark. Thinking ahead, how far is the first deep water crossing from camp in case I need to walk and get help? I'll bring a couple tow straps if I get in too deep. Please someone monitor the radio at 146.535, I know signal can be sh*tty but just in case.
I don’t expect that you will encounter any water on the trail in to Monache Meadows, until you hit the South Fork of the Kern River. From there to the River Campsites, if accessible and available, I think it’s about 3 miles. Also, that area is relatively flat, so ham signals should be strong. I’ll monitor 146.535.

I’m in! I love Monache. I photographed a Mitsubishi Press vehicle a few years back. The Mitsubishi Outlander did just fine though needed a push backup in one part. I also took a Jeep Renegade up and down years ago

DSC06414-3.jpeg

DSC06360-4.jpeg

DSC06648.jpeg

DSC06662-3.jpeg

montero camping full size edits-56.jpeg

This is a video by a group of two-wheelers visiting Monache Meadows on June 30th. Check out the trail and the water at 9:10 to 9:30. Hopefully that's not where we plan to cross the river!

This is a video by a group of two-wheelers visiting Monache Meadows on June 30th. Check out the trail and the water at 9:10 to 9:30. Hopefully that's not where we plan to cross the river!

Yep, that's one of the places. Road that parallels the river to a second area looks washed out and eroded pretty bad too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom