Are dash cluster gauge and Superglow water sensor connected? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a recently damaged water temp sensor on my 1990 24 volt 1pz. Confirmed today that this is the two wire unit running to connections 7 and 10 of the glow timer module as per the workshop manual.

As soon as the wire severed I have no water temp reading on the dash cluster, just a constant cold reading.

Continuity checks okay on glow timer connection 10 (ground?) but not on connection 7 (+). kOhm Resistance reads okay at the sensor. Gauge works okay with a short and naughty tap to a battery, but I need to do a proper resistance and voltage regulator test to rule out issues... So got a little more diagnosing and repair work to do.

My real question while I sort this is... Do the dash temperature gauge and glow timer unit share the same sensor info in some models?

I've been pouring over wiring diagrams and can't see any known crossover. But in my case they seem related to each other. I can't find any other water temp sensors/senders on the vehicle so far.

Any thoughts out there team?

Cheers,
Kempy.

I have a 1HZ, so I am not a 1PZ expert at all.

The 1HZ has 3 temperature sensors on the LH side of the block near the oil filter stand.

1689621442791.png

1689621474774.png

1689621454467.png

I *believe* the last one (the one with 3 wires going into it) controls the glow plug timer. But I would look at the diagrams for all three of them if you are trying to track down an issue.

I'm assuming you replaced the sensor and fixed the wiring already? And your glow plug system is still have issues?

I have a 1HZ, so I am not a 1PZ expert at all.

The 1HZ has 3 temperature sensors on the LH side of the block near the oil filter stand.

View attachment 3376077

View attachment 3376079

View attachment 3376078

I *believe* the last one (the one with 3 wires going into it) controls the glow plug timer. But I would look at the diagrams for all three of them if you are trying to track down an issue.

I'm assuming you replaced the sensor and fixed the wiring already? And your glow plug system is still have issues?

Yeah matey,

The green connector is the one I'm dealing with. Interestingly, the green bit of that sensor rotates/spins on my wagon and always has... but it still seems to test fine based on temp variations. But on my spare engine the senser connection is static and fixed solid. I'm wondering if I just have an anomaly setup.

That three wire connection in your pics is only a two wire on mine and I believe it is the the Glow Plug resistor unit.

The other image... I'm not sure of, but I don't think I have one unless it's an oil pressure measurement. It certainly seems like I have one green head sensor powering all water related temperature needs.

I'm going to trace the #7 pin wire on the Glow Timer unit as that seems to be the culprit and reading high resistance. Maybe run a replacement test wire and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom