Are any of you daily driving their 80-Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DD all the way (3FE) since purchase ($3k) 2015, 10k yr just turn 200k. Had to iron out over-heating bugs and that was frustrating but havent looked back. Gets a break during maintenance/upgrades( It gets 2mpgs better than my truck!).

I prefer the basic necessities over luxury and the 92’ offers everything I need-and if not I can build (nothing yet beyond paint and suspension, -oh ya-a piezo buzzer for the headlights too).

Used to cruise and abuse the 79’ (fj40) when I was a teenager/20s in the 90s and now I have three boys that pile into the “Landcruiser car” every week for school etc (littlest in middle row, bigs tromp in over the folded seat to sit high up in the jump seats-works great). Sometimes it gets rearranged of course to accommodate all manner of stuff. Both the 40 and the 80 somehow manage to fit and haul tons of stuff, comfortably, to wherever you point them, and look great doing it too. There is a reason the early models are fetching such insane prices and guys like us understand why (though 100k is pretty wild).

Luckily I get to commute country roads with hardly any traffic and often I set cruise at 50-55, there’s nothing like it.

Finally saved up to start slowing equipping her for overland and dream big for where she’ll take me someday. Though I think I’ll point her South...got contacts in Peru :p

Daily driving my 93. At 9mpg it’s a little painful but still cheaper than a car payment. It old and slow and a little dinged up but I still smile every time I walk up to the damn thing. As someone who has never been a car guy i am a bit embarrassed by how much I love it.

I put maybe ~400-500 miles per week in driving between work locations and back and forth to home. The roads here in PA are absolute CRAP. Having trucks I know can take a beating and eat miles forever is a requirement.

I swap DD based on where I'm going, if the wife is along and what the weather is like. M3 vert if top down weather, LS2 swapped 350Z if no rain and I want to go fast, but more often than not it's been the LX450 and lately the white Cruiser and occasionally the Cammo 80 when there is snow in the forecast ... you never know when you may have to pull a Jeep out of the snow. Being able to swap between 80s is like a warm blanket of comfort. Even when something breaks, it almost always gets you home anyway.

Having begun learning how to work on these trucks over the past year just makes them that much more affordable and desirable to own. I have many friends that always have the newest or coolest new car or truck ... they can enjoy them when the electronic everything begins to crap out on them or they have car payments for infinity. I will take my basic tried and true 80 Series forever.

Had a similar Subaru; awesome car in snow.

Got mine a year ago for $1200. It has 316K. Like others say it gets 10mpg but cheaper than a car payment and WAY cooler. It has so many dents the guys at work call it the golf ball.

We have four, all 81's, all various diesel variants and they commute and work every day. Tar/paved roads here are few and far between so they take a hammering and still keep going. Always welding bits of battered body together but mechanicals are sweet. Only the old Landy's could take this kind of beating and survive though you'd need a few spares parked up for when they break down...

Guess you could say I have a love affair with oddball AWD Japanese cars. If I'm not in the 1997 LX450 I'm in a 2017 WRX. Between my wife and I our 80's wheels turn almost daily.

We're relatively new to the 80 series (drove a 1995 SWB diesel Pajero before buying it) and have been pleasantly surprised. 201,000 miles on the clock and it gets precisely the same terrible fuel mileage the EPA rated it at over 20 years ago (15L/100km). We found an untouched gem in excellent condition and are very much looking forward to the build process. First step will be replacing the wallowy LX450 shocks/springs.

DD since 1999, 200k and rolling

Last edited:
96 with 245k. Ive put 1200 miles on it in 6 months since I've had it as my daily, so fuel isnt a big deal. Original engine, nothing but maintenence. It has quirks and at this age it needs to be completely restored/rebuilt.

One piece at a time. For now.

97 Model. DD since the year 2000. Gets a little less now (maybe 2-3 times a week). More miles going on the LX470 since its my Wife's DD and I am retired.

I have to share time or the FJC gets jealous. The other day I caught her letting the air out of the tires on the land cruiser. Just wants attention....
The land cruiser goes slow, stops slow, but looks so cool doing it I have to wipe the smile off my face.

I have to share time or the FJC gets jealous. The other day I caught her letting the air out of the tires on the land cruiser. Just wants attention....
The land cruiser goes slow, stops slow, but looks so cool doing it I have to wipe the smile off my face. View attachment 1901896

Nice vehicles. And Thank You for flying the flag out in front of your home.

Reactions: xlx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom