Anza -Sandstone Canyon May 12-13th (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOCALFJ said:
So Landcrusher... about how long is this canyon? how long does it take to run it?

Also, whats the deal on campfires in the area where we'll be? Last i heard the rangers won't let us have a campfire unless its in one of their contained areas. Even if brent goes, we can't use sputnik i believe.

Is this true? Are we bringing firewood?

thanks
IIRC it was a couple hours from the pavement to where we turned around. Mark, Scott or someone else who has run it can confirm or revise my estimate.

I've never camped in that area, only Truckhaven and Sheeps Canyon. I believe the typical park rules are in affect there, meaning; campfires in steel containers. However, Ocotillo Wells ORV area is right near the head of the main road (Split Mtn. Rd.) going to Fish Creek Wash. They have numerous campsites and I believe is an "open" area.

Yeah, and the turn around was much more difficult for me because I was in the middle of Reid and Gene's FJ. I would suggest as you get to the tougher areas I would stay spaced out.
As for length I could only possibly guess time wise 1-1.5 hrs to get to the end and less coming back. It always seems easier and quicker going back out.

Camping ideas?
Ocotillo
Lower Cayote
Sheeps canyon

I only know lower cayote and it is a short run in if that is our selected spot.

Im up for anything.

Ocotillo might be cool cause we can do a fun little night run playing around.. or watch the knuckleheads get stuck... but we are up for anywhere though. It's your run man. :)

I'm always game for Sheep Canyon - fun drive up Lower Coyote Canyon to get there and a beautiful location!

Hey are you going? Did you make up your mind about playing golf?
dorfongolf.jpg

Mark and Reid,

Are you guys firm in or still on the fences? need to start food planning. I'm down for Ice cream, hoping Brent is in for the cobler to go with.

Hey are you going? Did you make up your mind about playing golf?
dorfongolf.jpg

god that's an old picture of me. I don't have hair anymore! :flipoff2:

Mark and Reid,

Are you guys firm in or still on the fences? need to start food planning. I'm down for Ice cream, hoping Brent is in for the cobler to go with.

I would count me out, I will be last minute if I do go.

I would really like to camp. But I don't think I can make it. I'm on for Saturday though.

Since Borrego Springs is about 20 minutes from Split Mtn Rd & Ocotillo, the Saturday AM meeting spot should change closer to the camp. I would suggest either just off pavement @ Split Mtn Rd & Fish Creek Wash, or the 78 & Split Mtn Rd.

Is the official meeting time between 8:30 & 9:00?

Landcrusher... nobody is camping Friday night. So there isn't a camp to meet at. We are camping Saturday night only.

Im heading out Friday, going hiking in the daytime and then we are staying in a bed and breakfast in Julian that night.

Last edited:
SOCALFJ said:
Landcrusher... nobody is camping Friday night. So there isn't a camp to meet at. We are camping Saturday night only.

Im heading out Friday, but we are staying in a bed and breakfast.
I worded my post oddly. I combined thoughts.

Let's try again:

I can't camp Saturday night, but I'm on for the Saturday run. I may still camp somewhere Friday night though. :hillbilly:

I was thinking it might be easier/better/quicker to meet on Split Mtn. Rd. Although it would be closer to the Ocotillo camp (when we're done), I should have said closer to Fish Creek/Sandstone Canyon (same general area). But I'm good for wherever you want to meet.

Reid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom