Anza -Sandstone Canyon May 12-13th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rolled at Hungry Valley, night run @11:00pm. Photos in post 17 of 2007 spring fest, trail reports section of the adventure4x4.net site. I would link it up but don't know how.

Our meet is Sat. 12th 8:30am , 525 Palm Canyon Drive, Borrego Springs, gas station.

Friday night

Which thread are we supposed to follow?

I'm 90% good for the 12th. 13th = 0%.

I might try to camp on the 12th (Friday night). If anyone else is interested for Friday, let me know.

I'll have to be back home Saturday afternoon/evening.

Reid,

Looks like Dave has friday off and will be in the area friday PM.
Are you committed yet?

Stan

It was on a night run, yep. Looks like it got nailed pretty good.

" About the time the rigs rear wheels broke over the plane of the ridge at the top, the rigs front right wheel dove into a hole and yanked the wheel to the right. The FJ pitch-poled (endo'd) once and came directly down on the passenger side hood. It shifted sideways on its hood and rolled twice more landing on its wheels and coming to a stop over 100 feet from wear it all started. There were three people in the rig. ALL of them walked out of it. "

http://rides.webshots.com/album/558862862XmEGpl

Last edited:
Just thankful everyone walked away alive and relatively unscathed! The rest is just personal property.

Man, I am sooo happy I didn't roll mine in January! I botched a reverse decent and came to a stop completely sideways in the middle of the hill. As I looked down hill at my two buddies on the passenger side and said "Sorry I'm so sorry, we are going to roll!" I threw it in drive, punched it and cranked it down hill. Took ou a bush un-fortunately and bottomed out the suspension but saved the cruiser! Proceeded to get out and kick the tire for sinking and not getting me up!

So who is going? Firm!

Rfjtoy
Socalfj
Brent?
Reid?
Scott? maybe as co-pilot w/rfjtoy or in his taco
fj-ollie?
Jeshua?
Frogeye?

If mother's day gets in the way we can return around noon on Sunday.

You are seriously getting in the way of my golf game! I'm still thinking.

SCOTT, Glad you and your passengers were okay! :eek: Man that sucks! Hope you can still make it.

I'm good for the 12th. Still undecided about camping the 11th (Friday).

XL Gas station in Borrego Springs @ 8:30am. Got it.

Reid

Do you guys think a F350 crew cab super duty can fit in most of the canyon? My buddy wants to go. I told him when it gets too tight he can hop in someone else's rig or something... its a out and back right? Doesnt it dead end?

Also, can we make the meeting time between 8:30am-9:00am?, instead of 8:30am

Last edited:
Do you guys think a F350 crew cab super duty can fit in most of the canyon? My buddy wants to go. I told him when it gets too tight he can hop in someone else's rig or something... its a out and back right? Doesnt it dead end?

He can drive it 100 yds past the entrance and then he WILL get body damage! He's better off riding along with you and saving his gas $$$.

Yes it does dead end, Reid and I almost got to the end a few weeks ago. Well we think we almost got to the end. If you are not lifted like me, then you will probably encounter body damage going past where we stoped. Heck I got all of mine turning around where we did!

That's weird. There are many canyons out there in that actual area. Maybe we are talking about 2 different canyons. Everything i've seen of Sandstone shows me that it isn't a challenge for even a stock rig.

This what i got from another wheeler that was just out there.....
"The last few pictures that I show in the thread are where he
definitely could not go. Too narrow. I think that he can get by the
rock fall that is midway on the drive.

Basically, if you come from the southern end off of Split Mountain
Road he should be able to go most of the way. I saw a minivan up by
the wind caves!

The other half past the narrow spot is a one way route that has to
be entered from the north end near highway S-2. I have the GPS
coordinates for the slot canyon's entrance. There is a bush blocking
it so it can be missed."

What type of body damage? What did you do, back into the walls of the canyon or something?

I have protection and im lifted so im not worried... but i am worried about inviting a F350 crew cab on 37's with a shell:)

Last edited:
If there are clearance issues, then we can split up, and rejoin later. IMO let's be flexable and just plan on having a great time.

There are 4 rigs coming from the Adventure forum and others interested.

NEWPS, please change the title on this tread to May12-13th. I don't want anyone out there this Sat. Screaming at me.

I don't want to scare anyone away but a F350 has NO business down Sand Stone Canyon. I am stock without sliders and I would have been more comfortable with sliders. Just the turn-around was difficult. I fell off of a rock in front and landed straight on the front bumper, then I fell off one in back and dinged my rocker. Here is a pic not too far into the trail, this was actually on the way back out but near the start.
P1010084.JPG

Notice the bumper corner, thanks to a 3 pt. S turn between two bolders
P1010076.JPG

This was one of the tougher areas that we got to that sliders would have been a peace of mind. I can only guess it got worse than this before we turned around.
Coming
P1010068.JPG

& Going
P1010071.JPG

If there are clearance issues, then we can split up, and rejoin later. IMO let's be flexable and just plan on having a great time.

I hear you Stan.. but i don't want to invite someone that can't run we are doing. So i'll be absolutely clear with him about it. He's a super nice guy with tons of wheelin experience and i know that he knows what the rig is capable of. I'll be honest with him tomorrow when i give him the 411. From their he can make his own decision.

Bluetribal, no worries on the rocks dude. He's been through tougher stuff. There isnt anything in Anza that's hard for a rig with 37's anyhow. But... i just didnt know if was possible for him to fit around some of the corners. They look dang tight!!

Thanks guys for letting me know ahead of time. I appreciate it.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to scare anyone away. But all the skill in the world doesn't matter when you just can't fit.
Oh and for you guys with sliders, trust me you all forget quickly how it felt when you didn't have them...... I can't wait to join you guys!!!!!! To the sliders side...

lance_rushing said:
Interested... but don't have any sliders (yet). Would that be a problem?
Mark (Bluetribal) made it quite far on 285's, stock height, & no sliders. The toughest part was turning around.

FWIW: We also had a stock height FJ that easily made it to where we turned around. That short wheelbase makes a difference.

There is a spot, sort of a turn-out, up the canyon where folks can and do park when they can't make it any farther. (Mark, it's where the Jeeps pulled over last time. On the right hand side right before it gets rough/tight.) I don't remember if there is another place to leave a vehicle after that point (without blocking the trail).

So Landcrusher... about how long is this canyon? how long does it take to run it?

Also, whats the deal on campfires in the area where we'll be? Last i heard the rangers won't let us have a campfire unless its in one of their contained areas. Even if brent goes, we can't use sputnik i believe.

Is this true? Are we bringing firewood?

thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom