Anyone running a transmssion cooler with fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj62max

Wildlife Customs
Threads
About to change my transmission fluid and wanted to add a transmission cooler. Looking into a cooler with fan. Should i leave the stock cooler into the radiator and also run the other one? Any info will help. Thanks

The FZJ80 already comes with a large factory installed external trans cooler, it's mounted on the drivers side of the truck, in front of the radiator. If i were looking for another cooler, I'd look in the wrecking yard for a used 80 series trans cooler to mount to your truck.

kinda depends on your climate, as to pipe routing. if you are in colder climes, people recommend keeping the rad loop in as well, to allow engine heat to warm up the trans fluid on cold starts. Im in Spain and have just plumbed in an OEM trans cooler on my HDJ80 (A442 box) without using the rad loop, because it never gets much below 5 degrees C here, and I wanted to remove the possibility of ending up with water in the transmission, in case of rad failure.

Im not using a fan on the cooler currently, but have considered it, would be interested to see what you come up with.

I have a hjd81 and it doesn't come with a cooler. I haven't had any issue, but just wanted to add one.

fj62max, I know a number of folk who have put the stock FZJ cooler in their HDJ81's. It works well. If you go this route get all the bits and pieces. And iirc you'll be removing your left side battery and tray to gain easy access for the stock plumping route.

You planning on hooking up a temp gauge as well?

hth's
gb

fj62max, I know a number of folk who have put the stock FZJ cooler in their HDJ81's. It works well. If you go this route get all the bits and pieces. And iirc you'll be removing your left side battery and tray to gain easy access for the stock plumping route.

You planning on hooking up a temp gauge as well?

hth's
gb

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting a drale transmission cooler that drale makes for jeeps that mounts on frame. My hdj81 has a factory curtain for cold weather in the area where the fj80 cooler mounts. I know i live in florida, but would like to leave that option. I would like to run a temp gauge one day. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom