Anyone run a 1Up USA hitch rack with a rear swing out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt Ferguson

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 2 tray 1Up USA rack that is bullet-proof and I love it, but if I install a rear swing out will the rack be useless ie you can't have both because the tire will be in the way of the bikes/ not enough clearance?

I guess you could always remove the swing out when you run the rack, but that seems like a pain.

I have a 1Up two tray and I use an extension in my 2" hitch to get it past my tire on the swing out.
I still cannot open up my swingout even in the lowered position so I have to take the rack out to get in the back. I think I read some time ago if you call 1UP they can modify the rack somehow to make it work. I had already ordered mine before I read that. Might be worth it to give them a call. I thought about using an extension that lowered the hitch but I do not want to loose the ground clearance. A longer extension might work but then the rack is getting pretty far out there.
Ken

Nice, Ken, thanks. I'm fine with the simple compatibility of a rear swing out and my 1Up. How long is your extension and is it custom or mass produced?

Dan

Massed produced and sold on Amazon. I'll take a picture tomorrow with the length and the anti rattle bracket that keeps it nice and tight. Been off road a few times with no issues.

Amazon product ASIN B01N4K91GI
Amazon product ASIN B071J12YFX
Found my old order. This is what I use. I have a slee rear bumper on my 100 series. the 7" fits perfect on my cruiser for the spacing with the spare tire.. The anti rattle bracket is a must in my opinion to keep everything tight. I will try a longer extension as I have found I would like to swing out the tire and be able to open the back with the bike/rack on.
Good luck and post up what you come up with.

if I install a rear swing out will the rack be useless
If you haven't had the swing out built.. You might want to implement a receiver to the swing out....
I'm sure the manufacturer or any good fabricator could do this for you..
I had 4+ bumpers do that for my set up and it's simply awesome...
Receiver sits flush with spare tire and galley box...
20180523_203920.jpg

1615514970047.png

Last edited:
Gang, with respect to rear bike rack, what do u recommend for bike covers while on extended off road trips?

I recall seeing a picture on a thread of a fully mud encased mtb on a rear mount. This was during a trip into the Arizona strip.

Looked to me like hours were needed to make bike rideable again. Hoping to prevent that.

@MANUCHAO very cool stuff right there and a great idea, who fab'd your rear bumper?

Man! Somewhere I saw a guy with a swing out and 1up rack on his 4Runner and the integration was awesome. Hold tight I will look for it...

Man! Somewhere I saw a guy with a swing out and 1up rack on his 4Runner and the integration was awesome. Hold tight I will look for it...

nice, I'd love to check that out if you find it @Land Shark

dream setups from the gram (not mine unfortunately)
08A81335-8A36-4E48-8ADE-EE696423C16E.jpeg
699E38E9-5332-452A-9255-CA995E9E7E20.jpeg
2FA39E9B-835D-404A-B0F9-C826DC683858.jpeg
823B10FB-22C8-43DE-8F18-659AA91FE19F.jpeg
078C1054-862A-45F7-A64E-D2D4BFCD03F3.jpeg

I’m still debating the 1up vs. the Kuat NV 2. All our bikes have fenders so will probably end up with the Kuat. Otherwise it’d be 1up all the way.

I’ve also considered these racks from Australia. They have a bunch of options to accommodate how your truck is setup. Apparently you can get them shipped to the US for a competitive price. I don’t like that they aren’t super secure from theft and that you can’t pivot them up when you don’t have bikes on it. Maybe you can and I just can’t tell—there website is a bit confusing.

Would the 1Up Equip-D lower enough to let a swing arm open? It looks like it would possibly.

I have an IPOR rear on my 80 with a full spare swing out and Im trying to figure this out.

For Land Cruiser 200s, I can confirm that the Thule Access Swing Arm fits perfectly without any interference with the tailgate. Both the 1UP Bike Racks and the 1UP Cargo Carrier will work with this swing arm without any conflicts.

The Rakattach does NOT fit a LC200, as the tailgate body (when opened) will hit the top bolt of the Rakattach.

@hudd07 yeah that’s kind of the idea. The 1Up aren’t about looks, they’re about being the toughest and most well-built bike rack on the market.

Also, for anyone interested, I talked to Luke at 4X4 Labs and he fabbed the hitch attachments on his bumper that you see in those pics that @NearJetties posted. That is a 1Up rack that that IG user @JohnProlly has installed.

I plan to do the same on my 4X4 Labs bumper. Nice set up, especially with how high up it sits, so no rack/ bike drag if you’re going up anything steep.

@hudd07 yeah that’s kind of the idea. The 1Up aren’t about looks, they’re about being the toughest and most well-built bike rack on the market.
I get it. I actually felt KUAT was built better. 1Up more flimsy when I saw both side by side. Professional vs garage built. I actually wanted to like the 1Up better I really did. It’s what I had decided to buy. It was a MTB buddy that told me to look at both side by side then choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom