anyone recommend a recovery strap? (stretchy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
I have a tow strap that's good, but today we used it (didn't have much choice) as a recovery strap and, well, I'd like to get a proper stretchy snap strap.

I've found some on amazon but the reviews seem a little... bad.

I would recommend U.S. Cargo Control and Bubba Rope. From what I've heard Bubba Rope is "top of the line" stuff and I've seen a lot of very good reviews about all of their products.

ARB is a trusted manufacturer of 4x4 accessories. From them, as a recovery strap, ARB ARB705 is a perfect player in the market. This strong and durable recovery strap is 30 feet (9 meters) long and 2-1/8 inches (60 mm) wide.

I've used ARB and viking straps, and Bubba Rope kinetic rope. All of my experience with these is in deep sand. I can't speak to mud. All of these will get it done, but the recoveries were muuuuuuch smoother and less jarring with the Bubba Rope.

Bubba Rope takes up more room in the truck than a tightly rolled up strap, but it's nice if you have the room.

I would also suggest, without any proof or experience, that you get the size that matches your anticipated needs, and don't go overboard. The amount of stretch is linked to the capacity. If you get one rated for a cruiser it will stretch like its supposed to and you get a nice smooth recovery. If you go with "bigger must be better" and get something sized for an 18-wheeler, then it won't stretch as much because you can't pull on it hard enough to make it function like the lower rated rope. You end up with a harsher recovery, and perhaps more chance of breakage.

I have a generic kinetic rope. The last time I used it was to get pulled about 50 miles, about 15 on pavement. I found it most comfortable to let strap drag between the vehicles. As my vehicle lost momentum, it gently reduced the slack and tightened up. Of course this beat the crap out of the strap, but it performed admirably, so I’m buying another generic one because now I view them as disposable.

Kinetic rope will yield ~30% stretch I use SouthEast Overland for Kinetic ropes

What size and length do you carry? I am considering either a 7/8" or 1" in 30' length.

I wanted to get a better recovery rope than the cheapo one I had. I ordered a Voodoo rope. I like their voodoo head logo. I’ll post up my impressions after I get it.

There are many strap manufacturers with production in the us that will make a strap to your desired length with the ends that you prefer. I have a 100 footer that i use periodically when launching my boat off of improv ramps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom