Anyone have a Lane Shark brush cutter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at these for a couple of years and just about ready to pull the trigger on an LS-2. What reviews/videos you can find generally seem positive and the only guy I talked to that had one was happy with it. They've expanded fast and have something like 150 dealers across US. Plumbing the thing was always problematic but looks like they've finally figured out a simple solution for that and videos of installs make it look like an easy enough DIY job.

Anyone have one and if so, thoughts?

Haven’t looked at brochure but does it require a PTO driven hydraulic pump to drive it?

I’ve got remote on front of my big tractor but have no clue how much gpm that would provide. I do have Diamond cutter for skid steer but that’s overkill for most.

This looks like simple reasonably priced cutter if the tractor hydraulics can meet the demands needed to use it appropriately.

I have not seen that particular brand @Waorani but it looks pretty useful. The local Kubota dealer in Opelika sells something similar and I did get a price on one but cannot recall all the details. I think it was something like 42" wide and runs off the 3rd remote (which I have installed for my grapple attachment). They said people use them to clear high limbs on trails while running a normal bush hog in the rear. Only other thing I remember is they were black. Could have been Land Pride brand (which Kubota owns)??

I'm sure there are multiple ways to run but I think most run in conjunction with 3rd function front hydraulic (like for a grapple). Can't just plug into 3rd function because you need a return to sump/reservoir. But you can get your pressure off 3rd function and then a separate line for return. That return is what caused difficulty for many early on but they've worked with WR Long, learned some things along the way and now have a relatively simple plumbing figured out with kits for most tractors. Complete hydraulic kit with 3rd function is ~ $2k. If you already have a WR Long 3rd function the "C-flow kit" is about half that. They promote WR Long but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with other brands other than maybe some different fittings, etc.

I never got the feeling my local dealer really knew what he was talking about with these so I've talked directly with Lane Shark a couple of times and they've been helpful. They have two sizes with different motor options depending on your tractor size/hydraulic flow. LS-3 - 36" (32"cut $4500)) for smaller tractors and LS-2 - 48" (44" $4700) for larger. Small motor is rated for 5-8.5 GPM, standard motor for 8.5-14.9 and large for 15-20 GPM. They told me standard motor configuration was developed around a 10 GPM flow and my Kubota 4630 with 9.8 GPM would be fine for the 4ft w/ standard motor.

This video shows adding the C-flow kit to a tractor that already has 3rd function -

They have lots of other good videos (young guy w/ beard in videos developed these with his father and a company was born) - https://www.youtube.com/@LaneSharkUSA

I have not seen that particular brand @Waorani but it looks pretty useful. The local Kubota dealer in Opelika sells something similar and I did get a price on one but cannot recall all the details. I think it was something like 42" wide and runs off the 3rd remote (which I have installed for my grapple attachment). They said people use them to clear high limbs on trails while running a normal bush hog in the rear. Only other thing I remember is they were black. Could have been Land Pride brand (which Kubota owns)??
I've been there a few times regarding these. First time they didn't have any and didn't know when they would, second time they had a couple of each that were already sold but at least I was able to look at them. They seemed well made. Third time was yesterday and Joe said they now generally have them in stock. I was specifically asking about Lane Shark but he never mentioned any other options. Maybe these aren't big revenue generators for them but he just doesn't seem to know much about them which is why I spent a good bit of time on the phone yesterday with Lane Shark.

LS sales guy wasn't that great but he did ask for a picture of my 3rd function that I think would need a different fitting than they show in their video/kit. I sent but screwed up the email address so later yesterday a guy from LS support actually called back asking about the pic I was supposed to send. He recognized the issue, thought there should be a simple solution and is supposed to get back to me next week. We spent a good while longer talking about the history, development, etc.

I'm pretty much sold but would still like to get more than the little bit of direct feedback I have so far. I mow 7 acres and brush, hanging limbs, etc around the perimeter just gets worse by the year making mowing an even bigger PITA. Also have a pond with brush growing up around it but given bank slopes I'm not sure if a LS would work for me there or not.

I'm not seeing anything similar from Land Pride but Trailblazer TB-Max seems to be similar. Several comments online that it's a knockoff of the Lane Shark.

Land Pride does have a pretty cool bank cutter but it takes a 75hp tractor and probably costs $20k+. And I guess Kubota did buy them because most of there stuff is now Kubota orange.

We looked at those and were more inclined to get a articulated flail mower. In the end I realized we would use it hard for about a month to get our crop edges in shape then probably not use it again so we just hired a guy to do the work who had one.

I'm not seeing anything similar from Land Pride but Trailblazer TB-Max seems to be similar. Several comments online that it's a knockoff of the Lane Shark.

Land Pride does have a pretty cool bank cutter but it takes a 75hp tractor and probably costs $20k+. And I guess Kubota did buy them because most of there stuff is now Kubota orange.

The ones I saw attach directly to the lift arms, just like a bucket or grapple, and looked quite similar to a skid steer mower attachments. Joe said one of his friends uses it in a vertical position with the boom raised pretty high to delimb roads/trails on their hunting property (if I understood him correctly). Again, with a normal bush hog on the back.

And, yes, Kubota bought Land Pride a few years back.

I'll ask when I go back over there. In the meantime I found another unit similar to LS - Modern Ag Products Path Slayer. They don't have much of a website but - https://www.modernagproducts-dealer...egoods-spec-sheet/path_slayer_dealer_page.pdf

When I first started looking at the LS I couldn't find any similar alternatives. The Path Slayer is appealing because it's galvanized. I've got a Modern Ag grapple and bush hog that are galvanized and they're nice. I think the Trailblazer is a Titan product and they're big into lower end/cost stuff so probably wouldn't consider that w/o a lot more info. I'd guess you're on your own as far as plumbing one of these two up though unless you have a tractor with ready to use front hydraulics.

I'd guess you're on your own as far as plumbing one of these two up though unless you have a tractor with ready to use front hydraulics.
I think most tractor dealers can/will install the 3rd function hydraulics on the front. At least I know the Kubota dealers will.

I think most tractor dealers can/will install the 3rd function hydraulics on the front. At least I know the Kubota dealers will.
Pretty simple add on, I have had it added to two other tractors and once I got skid steer have not used either!

I know dealer will install 3rd function but I installed my own no problem. The issue is the return line, you can't simply plug these cutters into the 3rd function ports. Both are pressure lines and while you can run off one of the lines, you have to have to add an additional return line to the system. How you get that return back to your sump can be problematic. At it's simplest you could bubba a line back to your hydraulic fill port or if you have an unused plug somewhere on your trans/rear end you can probably plumb into that. And that's pretty much what folks have been doing. But with their new C-flow kits (assume that means continuous flow) it integrates directly with your 3rd function plumbing. You end up with 3 ports up front - original 2 for your grapple/whatever and a new one for return when using LS. It's a lot more than an additional line though. In the video above he briefly mentions various check valves/etc that they've added in consultation with WR Long. Is all that necessary? I assume so but then again folks have been running these with a just a direct return to sump since they came out.

Another thing included with the kit is a separate switch for the LS. Without it you have to hold the 3rd function switch down continuously to run the unit. May not be a problem but don't think I'd want to have to hold the switch for an extended time. The switch is also connected to the seat safety so it cuts LS off if you get out of seat. I'm sure you could come up with another switch that would work but I'm ok with cost of the C-flow kit if it simply and efficiently solves the return to sump issue and gives you an on/off switch. I'm sure I can install myself and I rather anyway because I never get a good feeling when talking to dealers or their mechanics. Yeah there's probably some real knowledgeable folks there but I'd bet this kind of stuff gets handed off to the new guy. And I could probably also piece together a similar system for much cheaper if I knew what check valves, flow diverters, etc they're using.

I've seen some larger tractors that came with multiple front ports (not just the two you'd get with a 3rd function kit). Don't really know what that's about but assumption was there was probably a return port in that mix. That's what i meant when I said you're on your own plumbing the two other brands unless you had something like that on your tractor.

Last edited:
I've been looking at these for a couple of years and just about ready to pull the trigger on an LS-2. What reviews/videos you can find generally seem positive and the only guy I talked to that had one was happy with it. They've expanded fast and have something like 150 dealers across US. Plumbing the thing was always problematic but looks like they've finally figured out a simple solution for that and videos of installs make it look like an easy enough DIY job.

Anyone have one and if so, thoughts?

Our county uses them (or another brand like them? Don't remember the color) to trim up the utility right-of-ways on all the county roads once or twice a year and they work great for that. Very fast also.

Most counties in this part of the country also use similar for road ROW maintenance. But they're full-sized bush hogs on articulated booms mounted on bigger tractors with counterweights. I'd guess those are where the idea for these smaller units probably came from.

Watched some of the videos and think if it’s does what it says it will do then it will be cool!

My concerns from clearing brush is the unit get adequate rpm’s with the hydraulic flow provided by the tractor? How much difference between soft and hard woods like oak trees?

Even with a previous high flow mulcher I’ve had branches get wound up on the drum. Does the unit reverse with hydraulics to help get things unbound, with mulcher I borrowed I had to carry tree shears.

Granted I doubt these would be issues but kinda like underpowered mower heavy weeds get wrapped around the shaft at times (at least some of the tall weeds we have here).

Used skid steer with brush cutter last night around one side of the pond with fair results at best. Something like this would be welcomed at my house hold.

Per Lane Shark: "Easily cuts up to 2-3” diameter limbs, brush, saplings, and underbrush."

Softwood maybe but I doubt it can easily handle more than about 1" hardwood. I'm not going into this thinking it's a forestry mulcher. If it cuts as good as my Scag and can be positioned/maneuvered on FEL, that's all I'm really looking for. Most of what I want to use it for is smaller, overhanging brush I have to fight around the edge of when mowing.

Don't think there's anyway to reverse it short of shutting down and turning by hand.

Partially. After studying my existing 3rd function I concluded that only the solenoid was WR Long and not rest of the unit. It was fine for my grapple but is smaller than the WRL unit Lane Shark builds their system around so I got concerned about adequate flow rate for the LS. I might have been able to make it work but rather than fiddle around trying to come up with fittings, etc and then end up having to by the WRL 3rd function anyway, I decided to just order the full pluming package (3rd function and constant flow kits). LS says they're individually built based on your specific tractor/loader and may take up to 10 days to ship. 10 days puts it week after next but hoping it ships sooner.

Once installed I should be ready to go but it may be a few of months before getting the actual cutter. New heat pump/air handler for the house and new heat pump package unit for the shop have hit the toy budget hard recently.

Partially. After studying my existing 3rd function I concluded that only the solenoid was WR Long and not rest of the unit. It was fine for my grapple but is smaller than the WRL unit Lane Shark builds their system around so I got concerned about adequate flow rate for the LS. I might have been able to make it work but rather than fiddle around trying to come up with fittings, etc and then end up having to by the WRL 3rd function anyway, I decided to just order the full pluming package (3rd function and constant flow kits). LS says they're individually built based on your specific tractor/loader and may take up to 10 days to ship. 10 days puts it week after next but hoping it ships sooner.

Once installed I should be ready to go but it may be a few of months before getting the actual cutter. New heat pump/air handler for the house and new heat pump package unit for the shop have hit the toy budget hard recently.
Sounds like it would drop right on my MX5400. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom