Anyone bypass the radiator tyranny cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My lx470 has a sizable tyranny cooler in front of the condenser as I'm sure they all do. Anyone ever bypass the radiator cooler and Only run the tyranny line to this standalone cooler?

Why would you want to do this?

One of the purposes of this design is to help bring the temp of the transmission fluid up quickly.

Coolant-to-transmission fluid cooler in the radiator will bring trans fluid up to normal operating temp faster than air-to-fluid cooler. Why do you want to bypass the radiator cooler?

3rd gen 4runner has a similar design and it leads to the "pink milkshake" where the coolant and tranny fluid become mixed. This doesn't seem to be an issue on the 100 though.

And don't our cars stay out of 4th gear till the trans is warm enough?
It stays out of Lock Up, as the slippage in the converter produces heat. The longer time it takes to reach operating temperature, the more fuel you burn to compensate for the TC slippage.

yea people have done it with no problems, in fact I have just been advised to here, and am thinking about it currently, having imported an OEM external cooler from the US, the question is keep the loop through the rad, or not. it must depend on your climate though, never gets much below 5 deg C here.

and the next question if I do, is how to replace the "paperclip" power steering cooler, and use the rad loop instead.

yea people have done it with no problems, in fact I have just been advised to here, and am thinking about it currently, having imported an OEM external cooler from the US, the question is keep the loop through the rad, or not. it must depend on your climate though, never gets much below 5 deg C here.

and the next question if I do, is how to replace the "paperclip" power steering cooler, and use the rad loop instead.

i wouldnt do that with the power steering. if you test the temp of your power steering it never gets as hot as the motor. that would kill the fluid pretty fast.

Not true. Power steering fluid should be at least 170°F for optimum power steering pump performance.

The lower chamber (heat exchanger) built into the bottom of the radiator that's normally used for the auto tranny is typically 20-30 degrees cooler than the coolant temperature flowing into the radiator at the top.

3rd gen 4runner has a similar design and it leads to the "pink milkshake" where the coolant and tranny fluid become mixed. This doesn't seem to be an issue on the 100 though.
There are literally a few million vehicles driving around with trans coolers as part of the radiator... If I had a 3rd gen 4Runner with the issue, I'd simply replace the radiator...same as I'd do on any other vehicle with the issue.

Not true. Power steering fluid should be at least 170°F for optimum power steering pump performance.

The lower chamber (heat exchanger) built into the bottom of the radiator that's normally used for the auto tranny is typically 20-30 degrees cooler than the coolant temperature flowing into the radiator at the top.

I must have an odd ball 100. Cause my cooling flows out of the motor through the tstat to the lower tank then up and out the top tank. Maybe I'm wrong. I did just get my 100 monday.

I would not bypass it, there is no reason to. Granted if a system/radiator fails it can cause a problem. I don't think you need to re-invent the wheel, the factory does a lot of R&D and put it there for a reason. If it aint broke DON'T FIX IT.

i wouldnt do that with the power steering. if you test the temp of your power steering it never gets as hot as the motor. that would kill the fluid pretty fast.

no it seems to work pretty well, the cooling element in the rad is at the bottom, and it doesnt get hot enough to say, heat a shower through, feel the bottom of your rad and bottom hose sometime, mine is generally quite cool unless Ive been flogging her.

people are running PS through the old rad coolers with no problems. I also would be fairly quickly if it didn't involve having a custom hydraulic hose made to replace the other rusty frame pressure pipe at the same time.

I have been in the auto industry for a long time and have never heard that the fluid needs to be 170 degrees. Everything I have ever known is that heat kills oils....ie the reason sythnthetic rules. It takes higher heats and still performs. Of course it needs to be warm enough to flow freely, but that is about the extent of it. In cold climates it can thicken up to much to flow and cause lack of lubrication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom