Anybody else missing roof trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2021 HE. I picked it up from the dealer just before they closed. Did the deal in a hurry since i still had 4 hrs of return trip home. Didn't think to check the gutter trim since it was a brand new vehicle. I found the next morning only two of the pieces there. I tried to get the dealer I purchased from to replace them but they were no help.

I had it in for it's 4th service (at a different dealer) and they replaced them all for me under warranty as "good will". With all my other mods I could tell they were questioning my story, but it's the truth so I stuck to it. I was grateful they covered it as all of those trim pieces added up to about $400. They told me they would have been installed at the factory with adhesive, but mine had no signs of adhesive up there.

I wondered if having them would reduce wind noise, jury is still out if it makes any difference but at least it looks finished and complete up there.

Now if I could just get them to fix my rattling head rest before the warranty is up.

Just check my 21 HE w/ 15K and I don’t have any of them! Let’s see what the dealer says.

I would think if you don't mind washing the roof and keeping the gutters clean.. you're better off without them.
They channel the rain better.

Not in my experience.

I live in the northwest and park under a Douglas fur. We have needles falling 365 days a year and they get everywhere. Seriously, I've pulled internior panels and found them. Long story short these needles bunch up pretty badly around the roof rack mounts, the top of the windshield garnish (where it meets the roof) and at the bottom of the windshield where the channel itself actually drains.

I lost all of my rubber pieces at once and ended up having water intrusion in a couple of spots - roof rack mount, sunroof drain (it was clogged), and bottom of a-piller (windshield drain). The channel and everything was absolutely caked with needles and rotten pollen etc.

I am a believer. They definitely hold small gunk in the channels itself but they keep the big stuff out.

I have never seen evidence of them being installed with adhesive from the factory.

I have never seen evidence of them being installed with adhesive from the factory.
Correct. Friction fit with at the time a very clean roof, plus the ends held down by the trim or rack feet.

I have a 2021 HE. I picked it up from the dealer just before they closed. Did the deal in a hurry since i still had 4 hrs of return trip home. Didn't think to check the gutter trim since it was a brand new vehicle. I found the next morning only two of the pieces there. I tried to get the dealer I purchased from to replace them but they were no help.

I had it in for it's 4th service (at a different dealer) and they replaced them all for me under warranty as "good will". With all my other mods I could tell they were questioning my story, but it's the truth so I stuck to it. I was grateful they covered it as all of those trim pieces added up to about $400. They told me they would have been installed at the factory with adhesive, but mine had no signs of adhesive up there.

I wondered if having them would reduce wind noise, jury is still out if it makes any difference but at least it looks finished and complete up there.

Now if I could just get them to fix my rattling head rest before the warranty is up.
No adhesive from factory. Great story from their end. Too bad it's mired in lies.

I'm wondering if mine flew off somewhere in transit too. Either on the back of the car transport trailer, or my drive home. Either way, it seems like a common theme among later model 200s.

I checked my 2015 LC and sure enough I’m missing one on the back drivers side. I looked for the part number provided above (thank you) at Olathe Toyota and they have them in stock. Do I need to buy the clip (or anything else) or just clean the gutter and install? Maybe with a dot of adhesive +/-

CAC38F1E-D196-40D1-AC31-540B27974733.jpeg

The newer ones seem more likely to fly out!

My 20’ lost most in the first year, but I attributed it to the fact I had removed the roof rack and replaced the attachment points with the factory covers, then my 21’ has already lost a couple in 12k miles and still has the factory rack installed., both always hand washed.

However, our 15’ we be bought new didn’t loose any until a year is so ago, figured years of sun and use, plus I am confident my Bride rolls through an auto car wash once in a while.

I think they are making them cheaper!,,,Being said, I have never had a dealer not replace them when brought to their attention while under warranty.

Be careful not to bend the metal rib enough to give the trim an upward curve, which will help it fly out.

I checked my 2015 LC and sure enough I’m missing one on the back drivers side. I looked for the part number provided above (thank you) at Olathe Toyota and they have them in stock. Do I need to buy the clip (or anything else) or just clean the gutter and install? Maybe with a dot of adhesive +/-

View attachment 3313305

You don't need the metal clips, just the rubber strip.

Saw this little ring of rust in the gutter. What should I do about it before I put the new trim piece up there? Anything? Nothing? Just go live my life?

125BBBDF-EBA5-4B8D-955E-EFC07BAC85E8.jpeg

does it look like the paint is bubbled underneath? If yes, then I’d hit it with a little corner of sandpaper and get rid of anything rusty looking, and add a few layers of touch up paint with an alarm for a year from now to check on it.

If it just looks like a paint stain, I’d wipe on a layer of Boeshield in that spot and set an alarm for a year.

My 2c.

Saw this little ring of rust in the gutter. What should I do about it before I put the new trim piece up there? Anything? Nothing? Just go live my life?

View attachment 3313678
Push on the raised portion and see whether it’s soft. If so bring it to a good detail shop.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I’m only missing one of these pieces of trim on my LC after 45k miles.

In looking to purchase a replacement I see lots of places that are selling them for $30 to $37 ea.
But then it’s always a $27 to $54 shipping cost.
It’s odious to me to pay almost the same price (or more) for shipping as the item itself. Especially when it’s such a light part.

So, has anybody found a place with reasonable shipping costs? I’ve been looking for a bit now.
Or even a place that if one hit a certain threshold of spend one gets free shipping. I could order several of these parts to keep as backups.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I’m only missing one of these pieces of trim on my LC after 45k miles.

In looking to purchase a replacement I see lots of places that are selling them for $30 to $37 ea.
But then it’s always a $27 to $54 shipping cost.
It’s odious to me to pay almost the same price (or more) for shipping as the item itself. Especially when it’s such a light part.

So, has anybody found a place with reasonable shipping costs? I’ve been looking for a bit now.
Or even a place that if one hit a certain threshold of spend one gets free shipping. I could order several of these parts to keep as backups.
I've got a few on deck as I've lost more than what came with it from the factory. Is the free shipping with $75 order still on? I'm patiently waiting for that elusive sale I missed out on last year around this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom