Any pinzgauer guys out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Caught the pinz bug. Now looking to get into one but not that much info out there.... or I should say; conflicting info out there. Looking to get a 710m or k. Looking for some real world knowledge. Thanks all!

Caught the pinz bug. Now looking to get into one but not that much info out there.... or I should say; conflicting info out there. Looking to get a 710m or k. Looking for some real world knowledge. Thanks all!

I don't have one, but have had the bug for quite some time. I eventually came to the conclusion that I'd rather wait until (if ever) the 714/716's start becoming more available and less ridiculously expensive. I'd rather have the more powerful engine and be able to drive highway speeds.

That said, I think a K is much more practical for overlanding or off-roading with camping in the mix. Not that it can't be done with the M, but the hard box makes it easier. But Ms seem to be more common and easier to get, usually for less money. You might start with an M and see if the vehicle suits you, then move to a K.

I would also advise getting one that has been owned by someone versus a recent import. That way there may be improvements that the owner has already done.

One good source of info for me was a guy named Willy Berchtold. I forget the name of his site, but just Google the name. I believe he's in Arkansas. German ex-pat who imports pinzes, Unimogs, and others. He's very knowledgeable.

what do you want to know
i do not have one any more but owned one for long time and worked on pinzgauer in school
Well I was thinking about selling my triple locked 80 to get one. It would replace the 80. I was just wondering if I’m out of my mind in doing that. I just think that the Pinzgauer is so awesome! I drove a 710m and loved it! And the one I drove was pretty rough. The soft top was ripped the fuel pump was bad and it still drove really well.

Yes I owned and rebuilt one, aka The Warn Pinzgauer.

Georg at Valley Hybrids has it now. Last I heard he wanted to sell it. You can try contacting him.

It is a poor choice in my opinion for an overland truck. Extremely slow and loud. People do it though, I met a couple in Southern Baja who were traveling in their 712 Pinz.

To me it was always just a toy. Extremely fun off-roading it on certain types of terrain. The 712 (6x6) fordes rivers like nobody’s business, will climb a vertical wall and is soooooo fun to drift on gravel roads. Off camber, easy to flop over, I did it once. Sand dunes? Forget it, nowhere near enough power for that.

Cheers

Yes I owned and rebuilt one, aka The Warn Pinzgauer.

Georg at Valley Hybrids has it now. Last I heard he wanted to sell it. You can try contacting him.

It is a poor choice in my opinion for an overland truck. Extremely slow and loud. People do it though, I met a couple in Southern Baja who were traveling in their 712 Pinz.

To me it was always just a toy. Extremely fun off-roading it on certain types of terrain. The 712 (6x6) fordes rivers like nobody’s business, will climb a vertical wall and is soooooo fun to drift on gravel roads. Off camber, easy to flop over, I did it once. Sand dunes? Forget it, nowhere near enough power for that.

Cheers
Thanks for the replies!! Huge help!!

Had one as well, definitely not an overlander, but do drive quite well, and are very capable.

Never owned one but made an African expedition with it .
Extremely loud inside and out .
Super poor fuel eficiency , 3-4 km /l
Plenty of space inside
Severely underpowered once loaded .
Not that robust either .
Despite all the negative points great character , but not comparably with a Toyota 80 .
Two different breeds .

Appears you got some good info.

mudder GadgetPhreak has one

Here's his other interweb account
AFE68C53-74C1-4B7D-B29B-2F058314A3A6.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom