1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice for my painting experiment wanted...

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by baldboy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. baldboy

baldboy SILVER Star

I was able to get a color-matched single stage paint to repaint all of the places I had to do body work.

The paint recommends an 8-1-2 ratio of paint-catalyst-reducer.

I know some people will frown on this but I got one of those CO2 powered spray bottles and am getting ready to use it.

Any advice would be helpful as this is my first time mixing and applying paint. (Other than rattle cans!)

THANKS!

2. FF LC FREAK

FF LC FREAK

Media:
    Albums:
    I just did this exact same thing last night. My rig is far from resto quality, so I didn't mind the poor paint job quality that the CO2 sprayer gave me. I just wanted to cover up a few areas of bodywork, like you, and have somewhat matching color.

Tips:
    1. MULTIPLE LIGHT COATS.
    2. MULTIPLE LIGHT COATS.
    3. MULTIPLE LIGHT COATS. (Did you get that?)
    4. First, prep the area well(i.e. prime, sand, etc)

Did you get that about the multiple light coats. The reason I say that, is those CO2 sprayers put out a lot of paint quick, in big droplets. It is really easy to get runs. I tried to do the light coats, and I still got some runs. Oh well, like I said, I don't have a resto quality rig anyway. Other than the big droplets from the CO2 sprayer, I was mostly impressed with it. I wouldn't want to do a whole rig that way, but for small areas, it worked pretty well for $6.

Good luck! :cheers:

3. baldboy

baldboy SILVER Star

Man you were right about light coats.....

I got drips from one end to the other...:eek:

Ah well.... I cleaned it up and started over.

It looks pretty good for the price.

Thanks for the tips...

4. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
  5. baldboy

baldboy SILVER Star

Pics coming ASAP. I have been wanting a digital camera for some time, but can't stop putting my money into the FJ40:confused:.

Oh and I just got the lift on that I bought from you Cam..... Looks good but now I need bigger tires and perhaps a small shackle lift up front (the rear sits a little higher).

As for the paint job, it is okay. The conditions were FAR too windy, my body work is below average, and this was my first attempt at painting.

We had a hard time matching the color since it was a repaint of a faded custom color, but I think we did okay.

I was able to see that on the sections of the body where the metal was flawless the paint REALLY looks good.

Conclusions: I need to clean up the body work a little better, wait for a day when it is not blowing 20 mph outside, and apply SEVERAL thin coats instead of 2 regular ones.

6. ArmyFJ

ArmyFJ

What kind of paint did you use as well. I am getting ready to do some body work and paint on mine.

Front Fenders and Rear Quarters

I am debating on whether to go with something a little more quality or just do some spray paint action and wait to save up for a top quality job. would you recommend your type of sprayer?

Matthew
    Dump-Top.jpg

7. baldboy

baldboy SILVER Star

I used Nason Ful-Cryl II Acrylic Enamel

Nason Ful-Cryl Cat II 483-11 Acrylic Enamel Catalyst

and Dupli-Color Professional Paint Reducer for Cool to Mild Conditions.

I also used a high-build primer.

I would recommend trying this option before spending a lot of money on an expensive professional paint job.

I believe you can get good quality results from this method if you are patient and careful.

It cost less than $50 for EVERYTHING and it is much better than spray paint.

8. ArmyFJ

ArmyFJ

Thanks where did you buy your paint?

Matthew

9. FF LC FREAK

FF LC FREAK

Media:
    Albums:
    I would agree with Baldboy. This was a cheap alternative to cover up some body work with a somewhat matching color. You certainly will get what you pay for. The sprayer I bought cost $6 with one CO2 canister (one cannister will supposedly spray around 12 oz of paint). The CO2 refill is $4. You then just have to buy your paint, reducer and catalyst. If you want rattle cans, most places make you buy a minimum of 6, which can run around $100. For me, the CO2 sprayer was a better option. I think the quality is a little better than the rattle cans, also. As I said before, I wouldn't want to spray a whole rig this way. If I was going to do much more than a fender or door, I would probably buy a real spray gun.

With all that said, it depends one what you are after. I would recommend if for what I used it for. Heck for $50 you can try it. If it doesn't turn out, oh well. Your painting your rig for a reason. Sand it off, buy a gun and do it right, or take it to someone who will do it right.

I bought my paint at the local auto paint store. They sell mostly to businesses. I took in my color code (thanks to mud! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=93601 ) and they whipped up a pint of paint for me.

Good luck! :cheers:

10. baldboy

baldboy SILVER Star

I bought my paint a the local auto parts store.

Make sure you take proper precautions when using paints like these.

Be sure to get a proper respirator, eye protection, get some gloves, and wear long sleeves.

11. ArmyFJ

ArmyFJ

Thanks for the help guys.

Matthew