Antifreeze in Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my transmission is high miles so I took it in for a rebuild. My tech says good thing you brought it in ,its contaminated with antifreeze. So I remember all the problems in the 90's with folks mixing different color/types of antifreeze and the corrosion issues that follow... heater cores, oil coolers etc.. I remember the first 80 I bought had a blown head gasket. when I tore the engine down the oil color was eaten up with corrosion and had holes in it. So I'm assuming same thing can happen with our radiators. In fact, the guy that is rebuilding the tranny said he always recommends replacing the radiator when he rebuilds a motor if its a high mile vehicle. The 80 had 140K on it when all this happened. Also, you want a non silicon based antifreeze.

Anyone else had these issues?

Heat exchangers can fail, but it's really rare. You don't check your fluids? It's pretty easy to catch, oil floats on coolant, makes a mess of the recovery tank and coolant turns the ATF pink/milky.

I bought the truck with a blown head gasket, that damage was already done. As for the transmission, I actually did'nt notice anything. shifted fine with 290K. Fluid was a little dark.. I only pulled it for a rebuild since I have rebuilt the entire drivetrain, so the tranny was last on the list.....

Japanese vehicles have traditionally used antifreeze that does not have silicates.

The Red coolant is a HOAT base. It does not contain silicate, nitrates or borate. It does have lots of phosphate. (Euro vehicles traditionally hate phosphates)

If you dont like paying a dealer for the OEM fluid, the Pentofrost A1 is a great alternative.

Antifreeze Application Chart.jpg

thanks for the info gents, believe I'm headed back to Toyota red....

Integrated trans coolers in the radiator failing was a big issue on 3rd gen 4Runners, called it the "pink milkshake".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom