antennae repair write up with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very good writeup...This is something I need to tackle on my '97. I just bought it used and this was the only thing I could find wrong with it. How can I tell if I just need a new antenna mast and not the entire antenna assembly? The dealer was telling me it would cost about $300 for the entire assembly and about $100 for the labor. I can still hear the antenna motor running...would this be a likely case where the antenna mast just need replacing?

TIA

Most likely the mast will solve the problem.

On the 80 I know the up/down is controlled by human but when it gets to the limit is it supposed to stop?

Mine doesn't and makes that an awful "diga, diga, diga" sound.

Tonight I'm fixing my Camry power antenna, replacing the antenna pole and cable assembly, I know it's not an 80 but the system is basically the same in regards to mechanics.

But after replacing the pole and cable assembly, I'm still having the same problem in that the antenna drives out just fine but will not retract and instead makes a grinding sound. :doh:

It's like the gear drive is worn or something else. The gear rubs on the cable so the motor is working fine. Perhaps not enough grease or the gear drive.

Note that i put this together the hard way by disassembling and then coiling it inside (while on the bench). I also tried to put the cable in while in was on the vechicle but again the gear drive would not catch onto the cable.

I know that I'm talking about my Camry (92) but I'm sure that the mechanics are the same as the 80 so hopefully Gumby won't bump me. In fact by looking at the above pics I can see that the system is the same except for the electric control. :ban:

Perhaps Dan has ideas. Is the gear drive available without buying the entire motor assembly? :'(

Thanks for any ideas.

Riley

thanks for the great write up! i have a 97 with a broken antenea and this will be most usefull. ...THANKS again.

jared

One word Alia ... 'Blue' wire ..... ok two :D

Mine had no power upon delivery .... until I located and connected the blue wire ... rip out your stereo , and look for it ; you may be pleasantly surprised . 'Sides it's a good exercise *G*

Cheers ,

Tyler

PS : Great writeup !

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=5760;start=msg49435#msg49435 date=1065785928]
One word Alia ... 'Blue' wire ..... ok two :D

Mine had no power upon delivery .... until I located and connected the blue wire ... rip out your stereo , and look for it ; you may be pleasantly surprised .
[/quote]

Funny you mentioned that, I was reading my brand new Electrical manual and it said that the antenna should go down when the ignition is killed. Since this ain't happening, there is something fishy going on in there. I'll look for the blue wire behind the radio.

Ali

After dealing with the failures of remote antenna's on other Toyota products (same system), I think it's probably not a bad idea to just let the antenna be controlled by the manual button. This would mean that it would wear less if you leave it alone.

i.e. going up and down all the time will wear it out.

Hey Riley, you still have those pics?

I recently ordered a mast kit and believe i may have the wrong one. It's part #86353-14332. The white cord attached to the antenna does not have teeth at all, it's just a smooth, round white cord. It also came with a chrome cap about the size of a spray paint cap.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

After reading this report, I have ordered a mast kit from Toyota here in the UK was £25 will arrive on thursady, mine has been snapped for last two years LOL mine only ever goes up and down via a button on the dash, well it would if it could. hopefully it will all be working on Thursady (weather permitting)

Mast kit arrived, and thought that it was the wrong part, as it was just the mast with no cord, luckily my cord had not broken, and all I had to do was un screw the cord off the broken mast, and screw on the new mast, took 40 mins, perfectly working antenna now!

No you aren't. I can't see the pics either...

This thread is over 3yrs. old. The pictures probably are not hosted anywhere anymore, if they still even exist.

Here is a link that should help with the install:

Power Antenna Mast Replacement

I followed those steps and it worked great. Of course when I turned it on the AM radio (first time since I bought the it) it told me how crappy the weather is going to be! guess thats what I get for fixing it

Did this years ago...time to do it again...the linkie no workie anymore. I skeered to do it based on my memory. :grinpimp:

If your are skeered to open up the box, here is a shortcut: Just remove the old mast using the up button on the antenna switch and then install the new one using the down button. No need to remove the remnants of the old mast flexible rod. There is plenty of room in there for the new one and the remnants of the old one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom