Antenna Switch Continuity Test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1995 LC

Tested the antenna switch on the dash as per the FSM:

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 6.38.39 PM.png

All conditions tested continuity correctly except for the illumination circuit.

Question is since there is no continuity for the illumination circuit, does that mean the switch is bad and possibly won't operate the antenna or just that the buttons won't light up?

I am beginning the process of troubleshooting my antenna. It is in the extended position and broken. When pressing the dash button to operate the antenna, nothing happens and I can't hear the motor trying to run. Just recently bought the truck and never had the antenna operating. Radio works fine.

Thanks for the help

yep, that was going to be my next step....just wish it was such a pain to get to....why couldn't they make the access hole just a little bigger

yep, that was going to be my next step....just wish it was such a pain to get to....why couldn't they make the access hole just a little bigger

*...wasn't such a pain...*

wish i could edit my posts

I can't edit my posts with a saws-all!!:rofl:

But yes, I'm right there with you. Has anyone actually done that?

Thats good to know. Thanks. What year LC do you have?

Have you actually accessed the motor assembly plug to test for voltage? Any tips if so?

Thats good to know. Thanks. What year LC do you have?

Have you actually accessed the motor assembly plug to test for voltage? Any tips if so?
I bought my first LC last week, a 94. I'm in love. :)

I would try to remove the inner fender liner and work that way.

The connectors for the antenna are in the engine compartment right by the access hole. Have you checked to see if they are connected? Have you tried to push the antenna down by hand? The cable is probably broken so the PO probably unplugged the antenna motor and manually put the mast in the up position.

@TomH are you referring to the wires in this picture? There is a quick connect electrical cable going to a white/silver box with heat sinks on it (left side of pic). Not sure what that is for. The others go into the firewall through a rubber grommet? Is one of these the antenna power that is wire through the firewall?

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

I can't see any wires that actually lead to the antenna motor. Any insight into this from the pictures. It is a 1995 LC which I think doesn't have an antenna relay. Thanks.

Are there any unused connectors on the harness in the area pictured? I can't tell for sure.

This thread may help. You'll probably need it eventually if you want to fix your antenna.
Antenna Fix

@TomH are you referring to the wires in this picture?

Yes, there are two connectors present right by the access hole. But from your picture we can't see them or tell if they are even hooked up.

There is a quick connect electrical cable going to a white/silver box with heat sinks on it (left side of pic). Not sure what that is for. The others go into the firewall through a rubber grommet?

The 'Silver Box' is your fuel pump resistor, ignore it.

Is one of these the antenna power that is wire through the firewall?

Yes, one supplies the power, the other switches the polarity IIRC.

I can't see any wires that actually lead to the antenna motor.

You won't until you pull the antenna motor. But DON'T do that yet. Check to see that both connectors are in fact 'connected'. If they are, then you can check right there for voltage OR just feed 12 volts directly to the motor to see if it operates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom