Antenna Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided to tackle the broken power antenna. It was not too difficult, but had its challenges. The motor can be accessed from the hole in the wheel well. First the fuel pump resistor must be removed, one screw.
IMG_4262.JPG

The antenna motor can them be removed by unscrewing the silver collar that screws into the fender and the one screw holding the motor in place.

IMG_4263.JPG

The motor can be pushed down, turned upside down, and pulled - maneuvered - out of the access hole in the fender.

IMG_4244.JPG

There is not a lot of slack. The cover is removed by taking the 5 screws out from the corners, and the one from the center. Note - be careful not to loose the nut that is behind the screw in the center...as I did. Oh well.

IMG_4246.JPG

This what it looks like on the inside. There is a black gooh that is between the 2 halves I think it is a water seal.

You will remove the cam in the center and this will expose the plastic track that goes up through the antenna. The track in mine was broken in the places inside the motor. Here is the cam.

IMG_4247.JPG

The cam is actually 2 pieces. When you go to put them back together, you will have to twist them to make the 2 halves come together.

I threaded the plastic track on the new antenna through the hole in the fender. Then, I had to reach into the hole inside the infender and threaded the new track into the antenna motor. It is a pain, but the only way to get it done. When the track gets into the center of the motor, it will stop. It runs into the side of the side of the inside and has to be bent around. It will actually travel up a small ramp so it can wrap around the inside of the motor.

IMG_4252.JPG

In the other side of the motor half, is a round piece that the track curls around.

IMG_4253.JPG

Wrap the track inside this piece and push it down in the motor bottom half. It will want to jump out. You will have to hold it down as you then work the top back on the motor. If you hear a click, your track has popped out and you will have to pull the top off and try again.
IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

And now it is back together. You will then work the motor back into the hole.

Note, the will be extended to allow enough slack for the antenna motor to go down in the fender well upside down. Once the entire motor is in the well, it can be rotated right side up.

IMG_4256.JPG

The motor is will have to be worked back into the fender. Oh, don't forget to plug the wires back together.

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG
Tighten the collar. I used a pair of pliers with tape on the jaws to protect the collar from marks.

IMG_4259.JPG

And it goes up and down.

IMG_4260.JPG

Since the switch is not working correctly, i had to use a jumper to check the motor. Worked. WhewL NOW, to clean up the fender and on to the next thing.

IMG_4261.JPG

MisipLC, you give me motivation. My motor seems to work fine you can hear it. The antenna works intermittently. I even bought the antenna itself.

Well I gots it all fix but don't got no power from the switch to the motor Gunna have to chase it back to see where the problem is. I know I have 12 v at switch. One side of the switch didn't ohm out per repair manual, so that may be the issue. Would like to see a wire diagram to see anything between them before buying the switch

Final note to round out the thread. Here is the mast that I used as a replacement. It is not made for the FZJ. It fits:

Fitment:
1993-1998 Toyota T100
1989-1995 Toyota Pickup
1989-1995 Toyota 4Runner
1989-1997 Toyota Hilux

mast.png

I measured and read threads talking about options and finally landed on this one. Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion, I think Maker's Mark and quarter may have been involved. The MM was mine, the quarter was borrowed. Hmm, did I give it back? Anyway, I figured it was a gamble, but what the heck.

It is not an exact match to the OEM mast. Installed, it works, and did not cost the $41.00 (ebay) to $62.00 plus shipping (OEM) price tag.

lengths.png

The part circled is about a quarter to 3/8 or so shorter. The track was a couple inches longer. I did remove about an inch or so from the track. Otherwise, the variance in size does not seem to impede proper operation of the mast.

I did note there is some type of grease inside the housing. Had a known what type, I think I would have cleaned the house up better and replaced the grease - while I was. But since I did not know what to expect...I was not prepared for that. And I am not a patient person so there you.

*The information in this post IS provided as an example and any reliance upon such information is at the relier's own risk. No warranties or representations are made as to the suitability of any products, process, parts or advice, as it was probably provided by a guy with no professional knowledge and under the influence of an adult beverage - or 3. Use at your own risk.

Having a problem doing this.

The new antenna will not push into the assembly on the bottom. As if something is stuck in the shaft, at the bottom. Any suggestions?

That looks like a great way to get all of the old antenna pieces out, which may well be the problem when I installed my new one. However, you do not need to start the new antenna through the hole in the fender. You could have just put the motor back in, then installed it with everything bolted up. All you have to do is have somebody turn the radio on and off at the right moment while you are pressing the plastic track down into the antenna hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom