Another new guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New guy here checking in. For the last 5 years or so I’ve been bugging a customer to sell me his LC that has been sitting in his field. We finally struck a deal and I brought it home yesterday. He’s the original owner, an older guy who shreds his documents every 7 years. So now I have to figure out exactly what I have… aftermarket carb and a possible lift. It runs and drives good, the tires are dry rotted so no highway yet 😁. Tires are my first thing to sort out so I’ll be reading the massive amount of info all of y’all have shared here! Thanks
3D20DF71-B635-40BC-AC38-0156AE802DA6.jpeg

Post up more pics of the engine, undersides...frame, interior. And also let us know your intentions. IE...hard core 4x4, camping, daily driver. You'll get lots of feed back and insight on what you should be working on. Congrats!

G-man,
My intention is for this to be a daily driver, a desert sled and a mountain goat. I’ve never been much into “wheeling” more like exploring. I owned a lifted Tacoma for 18 years and only used the locking diff once, I live in SW Colorado so there are plenty of options for extreme off-road. It just hasn’t been my thing. I use my moto for that. However this may change. My riding partner for the last 20 odd years suffered a spinal cord injury and no longer rides off-road just easy ADV stuff. He bought a Montero. My brother is not riding anymore and just bought a pretty built Tacoma. So we may get more into wheeling but will definitely be camping, exploring and drinking beers.

As far as a build goes I always look for reliability over bling. The 60 has a winch and custom front bumper. I’m not reading anything good regarding the Tabor 9k winch, so that may get upgraded (not a priority). The bumper looks ok but could use a powder coat (not a priority). There is no spare and the chain hoist is seized. Currently soaking in PB Blaster. A spare tire (a priority) and a way to carry it (not a priority but I do love swing out bumper set ups) are needed. I need to fix the drivers seat at some point. As I mentioned the tires are toast so they are priority #1. I think I should be fine on 33s not sure on the width (I do air down frequently) or rim size (I may buy all new since I need at least 1 and prefer black rims). I was originally thinking of an OME 2” lift but it appears to have some kind of lift already installed, the front looks low. It has grease zerks on the shackles, one leaf looks to have Canada written on it, I don’t see any markings on the shocks. Anyone recognize this setup?The seller mentioned the springs and bushings were “recently” replaced. FYI the tires were also new when it was parked, the tread is great just dry rotted from sitting in the sun. As far as wheels and tires go I’m looking for something that fits without modification. No spacers, cutting or grinding. Just something that bolts up, looks ok and can take some abuse. I doubt I’ll add a rooftop tent but it’d be nice if the suspension would handle one just in case I change my mind. I will add a roof rack to carry some light items up and out of the vehicle. I’ll need to source some lens covers for the brakes/blinkers/etc.

Stupid question: does the 60 have locking diffs?

Cool stuff: the motor was rebuilt 5,000 miles ago. I do not have receipts but have no reason not to trust the seller. At that time a 5 speed transmission was installed. I’m not sure what they did but something in the T case was modified so you can go from 2hi directly right and be in 2low. Seams like it will be handy when controlling speed is the priority and turning will still be easy…

Not cool stuff: so far all that I’ve found is a slight leak on the clutch (slave?) piston. See pic. And his daughter and boyfriend “installed” a stereo. No mounting bracket, it just floats around in the dash. I used some wedges to hold it in place for now but I see this as a possible pain to fix correctly in the future.

E2C5B00A-BD3E-489F-B2D4-0F8A50193165.jpeg

379879E7-D7DE-499A-BBE8-BBAA3D6B2251.jpeg

B357777C-A5CC-436E-B4D3-C51B029E9721.jpeg

28A224B7-2B4E-413D-AA42-3E98BDCFF8A9.jpeg

80D3938F-15FE-46E1-9A46-A4BE44364633.jpeg

Great find. For 17 years I drove from to Durango to my house on CR 510 and passed a place that had a 40 sitting next to the barn. Last time I was in town it was gone. Who knows what hides in the barns and sheds of Durango.

G-man,
My intention is for this to be a daily driver, a desert sled and a mountain goat. I’ve never been much into “wheeling” more like exploring. I owned a lifted Tacoma for 18 years and only used the locking diff once, I live in SW Colorado so there are plenty of options for extreme off-road. It just hasn’t been my thing. I use my moto for that. However this may change. My riding partner for the last 20 odd years suffered a spinal cord injury and no longer rides off-road just easy ADV stuff. He bought a Montero. My brother is not riding anymore and just bought a pretty built Tacoma. So we may get more into wheeling but will definitely be camping, exploring and drinking beers.

As far as a build goes I always look for reliability over bling. The 60 has a winch and custom front bumper. I’m not reading anything good regarding the Tabor 9k winch, so that may get upgraded (not a priority). The bumper looks ok but could use a powder coat (not a priority). There is no spare and the chain hoist is seized. Currently soaking in PB Blaster. A spare tire (a priority) and a way to carry it (not a priority but I do love swing out bumper set ups) are needed. I need to fix the drivers seat at some point. As I mentioned the tires are toast so they are priority #1. I think I should be fine on 33s not sure on the width (I do air down frequently) or rim size (I may buy all new since I need at least 1 and prefer black rims). I was originally thinking of an OME 2” lift but it appears to have some kind of lift already installed, the front looks low. It has grease zerks on the shackles, one leaf looks to have Canada written on it, I don’t see any markings on the shocks. Anyone recognize this setup?The seller mentioned the springs and bushings were “recently” replaced. FYI the tires were also new when it was parked, the tread is great just dry rotted from sitting in the sun. As far as wheels and tires go I’m looking for something that fits without modification. No spacers, cutting or grinding. Just something that bolts up, looks ok and can take some abuse. I doubt I’ll add a rooftop tent but it’d be nice if the suspension would handle one just in case I change my mind. I will add a roof rack to carry some light items up and out of the vehicle. I’ll need to source some lens covers for the brakes/blinkers/etc.

Stupid question: does the 60 have locking diffs?

Cool stuff: the motor was rebuilt 5,000 miles ago. I do not have receipts but have no reason not to trust the seller. At that time a 5 speed transmission was installed. I’m not sure what they did but something in the T case was modified so you can go from 2hi directly right and be in 2low. Seams like it will be handy when controlling speed is the priority and turning will still be easy…

Not cool stuff: so far all that I’ve found is a slight leak on the clutch (slave?) piston. See pic. And his daughter and boyfriend “installed” a stereo. No mounting bracket, it just floats around in the dash. I used some wedges to hold it in place for now but I see this as a possible pain to fix correctly in the future.

View attachment 2916824

View attachment 2916825

View attachment 2916826

View attachment 2916827

View attachment 2916828

This will take care of the floating stereo FJ60 Aftermarket Radio Bracket - https://cruiserhead.com/products/fj60-radio-bracket made by this member Fj60 Solutions - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-solutions.1234894/

What a great find! Happy that the cruiser has found a loving owner who won’t abandon it in a field!

it looks like you have aftermarket extra long shackles on your springs which would lift it a bit. Most people consider extended shackles to be a cheap lift that can affect the axle angle in a negative fashion, but at least the ones you have on there look to be strongly built!
I'm not sure about the springs... maybe made by
www.canadaspring.com

Saw your spare tire lift chain is seized. Mine worked fine but be careful of raising the tire back up in the dark!
0D6BE672-7A7B-45D7-A814-F9A8055389D4.jpeg

The hard parts are done....lift and 5 speed. Some new tires and spray the entire underside in Fluid Film and roll on. And maybe a rebuilt Aisin carb.

Nice find.

(.12) - Copy.jpeg

60's do not come standard with locking diffs. If you're wanting to do some hard core rock crawling then there are many aftermarket options for lockers.

You have a good starting point. The springs have a decent arch and I'd run with them. The shackles...while not toyota stock don't seem too long to me and nice that they have greaseable zerk fittings. I'd run with them They have decent angles too.

Tires, I'd go with 31" tires on 15" wheels. Mainly because with stock 3.70 diffs...they are the best option. Yeah you can get by with 33" but you'll lose some low end torque in 1st. And you really don't need the rubber overdrive because you already have the 5 speed.

Try and find a decent used passenger seat cover and use it on the bottom of your drivers side. SOR sells a spendy but decent seat foam.

rear taillight and turn signal lens and gaskets can be bought from Toyota . Also side markers, the front come as an "assembly" the whole thing is molded together. I like Partsouq for toyota parts as long as they are not too big or bulky. They are in the UAE.. (the middle east) but ship in a couple days and are many times less expensive than USA dealerships. Always consider shipping costs.

60's do not come standard with locking diffs. If you're wanting to do some hard core rock crawling then there are many aftermarket options for lockers.

You have a good starting point. The springs have a decent arch and I'd run with them. The shackles...while not toyota stock don't seem too long to me and nice that they have greaseable zerk fittings. I'd run with them They have decent angles too.

Tires, I'd go with 31" tires on 15" wheels. Mainly because with stock 3.70 diffs...they are the best option. Yeah you can get by with 33" but you'll lose some low end torque in 1st. And you really don't need the rubber overdrive because you already have the 5 speed.

Try and find a decent used passenger seat cover and use it on the bottom of your drivers side. SOR sells a spendy but decent seat foam.

rear taillight and turn signal lens and gaskets can be bought from Toyota . Also side markers, the front come as an "assembly" the whole thing is molded together. I like Partsouq for toyota parts as long as they are not too big or bulky. They are in the UAE.. (the middle east) but ship in a couple days and are many times less expensive than USA dealerships. Always consider shipping costs.
See if you can either find some wider wheels than stock or go up to a 16" wheel and a 31" tire or equivalent. I run 31"x10.5's on my stock wheels but they do balloon a bit and a lot of shops wont actually mount them.

There is a metal guide mounted to the side of the transmission that acts as a shift gate for the transfer case lever. This is modified to allow "2Low". The normal operation (as shown on the sticker on your glove box) is H2 <--> H4 <--> N <--> L4. If the wheel hubs are locked you can switch between H2 and H4 up to 50mph (according to the owners manual). However you must stop or reduce speed below 5mph to shift into low. So with this shift gate modification you need to be careful you don't shift into 2low instead of 2hi when you are moving. A related mod would be to convert to twin sticks--shifting between high and low and 2wd and 4wd would have individual shift levers, perhaps mitigating the chance of mis-shifting as described above. Also remember when in 2low, all the torque is going to the rear wheels and it is amplified by the high:low gear ratio. you might have a higher chance of breaking something when in 2low.

'60 series truck were available elsewhere (not US) with cable locking differentials. But it is probably more straight forward to install an after market locker than trying to source new axles and the cable to lever assemblies.

It looks to me like you have a weber carburetor--which means your engine has also been desmogged. Experience and comments about the weber are varied--some hate them and some love them. There are also available an OEM style carburetor for desmog applications. Vendors such as City Racer LLC sell them. If you are not happy with how the truck is running you should search for desmog threads, read through them, then make adjustments to your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom