Builds another cummins swap thread/build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man I can't wait to do mine!! Feeling jealous right now :)

Keep calm, you have a few more projects to move before you can focus on your next project.....

Well neither do I anymore! The cummins forums aren't too fond of them anyways and my heater was leaking at the electrical connectors, so it was just a prefilter after I removed the heating element.
Now the tube fits perfectly!

Do you remember how you got rid of the transmission cooler lines? What size and lenght of hoses?

Well neither do I anymore! The cummins forums aren't too fond of them anyways and my heater was leaking at the electrical connectors, so it was just a prefilter after I removed the heating element.
Now the tube fits perfectly!

Do you remember how you got rid of the transmission cooler lines? What size and lenght of hoses?

I pulled the pump off and cut the heater off with a grinder, it was sitting in the space between the block and the transmission lines, that's where the intercooler pipe goes. The base to the heater needs to be cut off and reused because the lift pump runs off the cam shaft and you need the right spacing.

I had to pull the vacuum/power steering pump, the vacuum pump fitting broke off inside the housing in this pic I had it walked about half way out. I also ground the housing down to make some more room to the steering gear box.

Fits in there like a butt hair in a biscuit! Is this a common issue most have seen? Nothing a grinder won't fix

Nice work! I get excited following these builds... I'm gearing up for the same build. I picked up a low mileage 96 Dodge cummins 2wd auto that I have been driving for the last couple months. It will be going into my 92 fj80. I'm Looking forward to working with Dustin on this build and we have some decisions to make regarding the transmission. Driving the cruiser and the dodge back to back the shift characteristics of the a440F sure feel like they would match up to the Cummins well enough but I picked up a complete a343 out of a 95 fzj80 as a backup plan. Thinking the electronics may be necessary for a better driving finished product. I'll be meeting up with Dustin hopefully next week and then starting the project within the next month or so. Hope the rest of your project goes smoothly:) it's gonna be awesome!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420274760.904518.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420274789.821246.jpg

Nice work! I get excited following these builds... I'm gearing up for the same build. I picked up a low mileage 96 Dodge cummins 2wd auto that I have been driving for the last couple months. It will be going into my 92 fj80. I'm Looking forward to working with Dustin on this build and we have some decisions to make regarding the transmission. Driving the cruiser and the dodge back to back the shift characteristics of the a440F sure feel like they would match up to the Cummins well enough but I picked up a complete a343 out of a 95 fzj80 as a backup plan. Thinking the electronics may be necessary for a better driving finished product. I'll be meeting up with Dustin hopefully next week and then starting the project within the next month or so. Hope the rest of your project goes smoothly:) it's gonna be awesome!
That's great!! keep us updated when you start.

How come I'm the only one that can't talk to Dustin?
Last I heard from him was an email on Oct 24! I'm still waiting on my wiring harness that he has to alter and the throttle linkage thing he makes.

I notice you still have your engine ID plate. That's a good thing, without it it's hard to buy parts without individual part numbers. Its the first thing parts departments will ask you.

So I was looking at how to put all the rads, coolers, grill back together and I had a thought!!
since the cummins oil cooler is in the block and the toyota oil cooler is in the rad and goes unused can we not use it as a trans oil cooler and do away with the toyota trans oil cooler that gets in the way of the intercooler?

The cooler in the Toyota rad is already a trans cooler, it is just in series with the trans cooler in front of the radiator. Not sure why there are two coolers - maybe Mr. T. engineers found that one was inadequate?

Thats the fitting I got and it fit my vac pump. yours looks diffrent.

Your trans hard lines look diffrent than mine too. The end of my lines were the flared so I could just slip the hose on and clamp down. looks good though.
:clap: Keep up the good work!

Thats the fitting I got and it fit my vac pump. yours looks diffrent.

Your trans hard lines look diffrent than mine too. The end of my lines were the flared so I could just slip the hose on and clamp down. looks good though.
:clap: Keep up the good work!
hey cnorm how are you're motor mounts on? Was it the way Dustin intended? I'm seriously thinking about switching sides to get more room on the drivers side, my timing cover is really close to the toyota steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom