Another broken diff....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EarthX

Owner of Earth Exploration Technologies
Threads
Heres the injured rig after breaking my front diff over the holidays. I've got 4.88 gears and TJM lockers going in.
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG

It went while I was driving in maybe 4" of snow on a paved road. No heavy throttle, slow speed, center diff locked.....

Weird - doesn't seem to match the profile. 4" seems like nothing.

'02
My guess is one tire slipped then caught traction.

Who did your front bumper? Interesting design.

I got 4 bounces going up a big ledge in Moab with my 2000, took 7 teeth of the ring gear on last bounce. Have the video on here somewhere. Thought they were pretty tough to break, but have heard of a couple that broke in snow under what seemed like light stress.

The guys that said "winch" over "front locker" apart of another related thread might want to pay heed. Just say'n.

still doesn't make sense... just driving straight wheels not even turned or backing up? this was a 4 pinion right?

Crazy. Was just in over a ft of snow wheeling hard with center lock. Are these prone to breaking?

It wasn't straight, the road had a sight incline and turn.
Yes, it was a 4 pinion diff.
I think the 4 pinions are stronger than the 2, but carrier deflection and "loose" factory set up are factors. While it is an expensive repair, I'll very much like having the piece of mind with the front locker and a proper Landcruiser really should be locked front and rear.

'02
My guess is one tire slipped then caught traction.

Agreed. That is the downside of Active TRAC. Either the tire was slipping and caught or A/T tried to stop it.

Four pinion Diffs while stronger than a two pinion....can certainly break and you have experienced.

A good strong locker should cure that.

Sorry to hear. I love my 2000 LX 470, but I had an 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and I can tell you I abused the hell out of it. The last straw for it was an electrical fire 17 miles up a 4-wheel trail. Turns out the rear window wiring shorted out and burned out most of the power. I did recover it, drove it into town and finally sold it. I find it amazing that the 100 series as well built as they are have front diffs that are so weak. I definitely plan to put in lockers front and rear.

Crazy. Was just in over a ft of snow wheeling hard with center lock. Are these prone to breaking?

I thought it was just the '98-'99s.

Yea, so this one was a 4 pinion so go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom