Annoying buzzing when head lights are on video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Son and I finally got to take the cruiser on her maiden voyage tonight.. After a few months of working on it and fixing all the things that go bad when a vehicle sits for a few years.. Anyhow we took it out at night to the car wash and noticed when you turn on the lights you get a very annoying buzzing sound.. If you shut off the lights and pull back on the brights it does not make the sound. Has any one ran across this issue? Here is a video.. Thanks!

Sounds like a headlight on warning buzzer. These are wired in under the fuse cover for vehicles that do not have one. These are typically installed by owner's of 91 and 92's which leave the lights on when the ignition key is removed. Not sure about 93's. I know 94's turn off the lights when the key is removed. Here's the mini buzzer most have used:
RadioShack 12VDC Mini Electric Buzzer

One more… if your headlamps are LED they usually have a fan that keeps them cool; however, the sound I am hearing is a buzz not a fan related sound.

So I went out and tried to track down where exactly the buzz was coming from and it was coming from the front two speakers in the dash. I remembered when I got the truck some one had unplugged the factory amp behind the pass front speaker. So I figured I would give that a try and unplug it.. When I unplugged the small connector the buzz went away about 90%.. I then disconnected the larger plug and it went away for good.. No more buzzing sound. I tested the radio and it still works.. So my question is what does this little silver box do? And why would it be causing the buzzer sound when I have my lights on? Is it safe to leave it disconnected? I did test what happens when you leave your lights on and remove the key.. They do automatically shut off like the 94's mentioned above.. That is a nice feature ;>) anyhow here is a pic of the connectors I am talking about..
99JhlmmThhpKrASJ2yea5zGmwXxx-1nCEiT5JeM5XtNBB0FqzXc3rj46XuqUNVKQg5LPbDdYlDp-jQqrASWei9mD0aJzLhXLGFCrXMZ8dV52Pvvk20-Rh3TaeFnH5W3rPWwD6b0hwlf5xANKykiX1QUm9ESdiH5BRatBnjk3p5Vvq91hQojxXn_vdcQOHvcCQA07LRNsTlFQ_4n8EC-NrNB5DRieL9hxyMjhe4sq4Kc-J1ifviqGyI_-XoF6_Mb_04JkB70C-CEO53uMCRC9dq1HJR4AtJeY7ukTbuRkuz5NyLCc7D_-D-iSNJC_wNcu1TpuUD8mN3fZx_H8F24dCOS9vzyb-2MTD97FQtjL2jhyw3NShJf0YLcOq9MTSXvKiGJO-zpjbGaKLBwrCfOPXWhM5XujsfCK1Kqn7rruINUuWuVPGxdrIwrlLDZye8VFej3y9RA2G2CBskl7KxM4zXPiXnvuNEvZtHYyymkEkrvDng_L9KTI3fU28OCX-BlR8jno7SIaaGcktdKOpEyskAgYjUXujApKwf_bhnAdB52KZd7DQei2Ffj2U4p9pCQoYKPttSM-j-LXcIA-paOL0gJAYTSywEtETzXqejd7a96lXHUKXSkX=w1630-h920-no

With the stock/factory radio, unplugging the factory amp there should have been no audio. The previous owner more than likely modified the wiring to install an aftermarket headunit that was then later removed before it was sold to you. I hope you don't find any other surprizes as you've had enough issues already with the incorrectly installed cams.

Well a little digging on the factory amp led to to the conclusion that the head unit powers some of the speakers (4 door speakers) and the amp powers the rest.. Looks like I have the 9 speaker setup.. So it is working but not all the speakers are working. Which is fine since I'll most likely install an aftermarket unit down the road.. I also found one other member that had the same issue I was having with the buzzing head lights and they did the same to fix it.. Weird?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom