And this piggy followed me all the way home... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a while since I've been on mud, but I think this is a good occasions to come back:)

Towed home this '76 yesterday. Yep, has rust, frame and floors are solid, so is the gutter. Tail gate and lower back quarters are the worst for rust. Been without a back window for a while so that probably contributed. Doors are actually really solid PS rocker will take a fair bit of work, but I think is salvageable.

Mechanically, well, running and started right up, but blowing excessive white smoke and dripping black from exhaust, hopefully just a head gasket or something (relatively) easy.

Depending on outcome of mechanical investigation - heading toward an efi on the 2f, OME suspension (if I can get to run 35s with lots of travel)

Anyway, wife's away now and truck goes into hiding for at least 6mos-year while I 'finish at least one project before buying any more'

One question though, in photo 3 you can see that in front of the impact damage the fender flare has broken off - this is a poor bondo job right? should have been metal?

towed the 80 at its limits through the mountains, but the 5 hour return trip through the mountains wasn't all that bad, i was impressed.
IMG_20190810_1914191.jpg
IMG_20190810_1908308.jpg
IMG_20190810_1908134.jpg

IMG_20190810_1907591.jpg
IMG_20190810_1537249.jpg

Last edited:
Check out those front turn signals! We were just talking about custom signal lights and your frenched ones look nice. Somebody did some work on her in the past. Those rear wheel well flares are stamped into the body metal, so maybe someone replaced with custom flares, too.

Good luck with it!

Wow, nice! Welcome back man! Someone at one time had a lot of fun with that thing - pinstripes, recessed marker lights, huge bumpers. Bet that thing has been to a lot of places.

The lower part of the fender flare/lip looks like it was cut off.

Nice score, that’s pretty clean for our neck of the woods!

Something confusing here though, small taillights on a 78? When did they change to large?

Sorry, just edited - it's a '76 - I was thinking about the 40 we had i think, just checked the papers, registered as a '76.

Also just dropped it off for storage, it's not so good under the hood i think, i have antifreeze and gas blowing through the exhaust and the transfer case is a little sticky - hard to get into 2h.

beyond that - yes, i think the recessed lights are a good look, I am not personally a fan of the blocky turn signals (swapped them off of a previous 40 we had).

re the flares, I figured. when it comes out of storage in the spring, i may blast the lower foot all the way around and we will see then what was done. when i look at the dented corner, i am pretty sure there is new metal in there, so mine will not be the first hands on the body for sure!

Take a look through @xtiaan2000 ’s thread about repairing this area. He’s done some pretty extensive fabrication on the completely rusted out area of the rear tub mounts and quarter panels. If you’re planning on tackling this, hopefully you have some fabrication experience and the tools to go along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom