Alternator problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_3418.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
So I took the old girl out for her monthly workout with some friends over the weekend. On the way home she died on the side of the road. My tech told me it was probably an alternator or battery problem. When we took it apart this is what we got. Looking for any suggestions to prevent this from happening again.

Drive on paved roads... Just kidding.

Take apart the alternator and clean it. Don't used aftermarket alternators, they fail very often. Wonder what part failed in your alternator.

If your alternator is clogged up like that, also check the AC condenser and radiator.

I bought a new one and installed it already. My question is how to prevent this from happening and has anyone else experienced this?

Looks like more of a IH8MUD problem. ;)

Either beef up the under carriage armor to block more of the debris from finding it's way into the engine bay or fab up an alternator shield with a good air gap (so it stays cool) to directly block the debris from entering the alt housing/cage and causing it to overheat.

The Denso is an internal fan type alternator. Domestic auto manufacturers seem to favor external fan alternators. Sharpen those blades and make a weed wacker! :)

delcor1.jpg

Heres to mud in your alt. :)

Mine died from muddy water after over 200k miles. New Denso went in.

Well it appears it is not a common problem, and that was my original alternator. One alternator every 150,000 is pretty good.

Deep water/mud crossings are alternator killers in our 2UZ-FE engines.

Actually looking at picture it possibly could be still good? Clean out the crud [hose it out blow it out/ split it open, if you feel comfortable doing so] a good cleaning may be all it needs. Contacts may be all mudded up.

Deep water/mud crossings are alternator killers in our 2UZ-FE engines.
The weird thing is I've been through deeper water and a lot more mud then this weekend, but not the deep grass I encountered. I think I am going to avoid the deep grass.
Actually looking at picture it possibly could be still good? Clean out the crud [hose it out blow it out/ split it open, if you feel comfortable doing so] a good cleaning may be all it needs. Contacts may be all mudded up.
It may but we had already ordered a new one and installed it before I saw that. I've never seen one look like that.

The weird thing is I've been through deeper water and a lot more mud then this weekend, but not the deep grass I encountered. I think I am going to avoid the deep grass.

It may but we had already ordered a new one and installed it before I saw that. I've never seen one look like that.
The last Motorcraft alternator I had go out I took to a local auto electrical shop. They rebuilt it for me and I kept it as a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom