Builds Aloha from Las Vegas! 77 FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the product page on JTR website. The pictures are useless. They're actually for the old one-piece transfer case, not the split case.

JTR FJ60 V8 VSS

Mike.. The Dakota Digital speedometer is adjustable and provides the VSS out. That is why i was mentioning it. One and Done..
2 options for Dakota speedometer. one.. it goes where the stock cable goes on your splitcase, then calibrates a driven mile. Or 2.. GPS.. Both have an out in the brain for ecu and cruise. Both have an output that mimics your jags thing.
Beauty of the calibrating part is if you are over or under you can adjust for tire size quite easily.
You might be making this harder than it needs to be.

Mike.. The Dakota Digital speedometer is adjustable and provides the VSS out. That is why i was mentioning it. One and Done..
2 options for Dakota speedometer. one.. it goes where the stock cable goes on your splitcase, then calibrates a driven mile. Or 2.. GPS.. Both have an out in the brain for ecu and cruise. Both have an output that mimics your jags thing.
Beauty of the calibrating part is if you are over or under you can adjust for tire size quite easily.
You might be making this harder than it needs to be.
Agree, I still have my jags kit sitting in the box.

in english.. Send that back and buy the correct part..

No progress in a while- work, vacation and cold weather got in the way.
Spent the weekend getting lots of little projects done:
Filled the transmission and transfer case with 80-90wt
Filled the diffs with 85-140
Filled the engine with synthetic 5w-30
Installed the power steering pump pulley and belt
Ground the driver front caliper to allow the wheel to fit
Installed correct bellhousing bolts- the ones included with the Advance Adapters kit were way too short
Used measurements from @Flatlanderfj40 and the existing holes to locate and drill holes for the front seat mounts.
Set the tub on the frame and installed the body mount kit.
Some of my friends surely wondered why I spent so much money for this 40. It’s because of the tub. I didn’t want to do major body work on a rusty Midwest tub. I researched Aqualu tubs and decided I didn’t want to deal with their issues. I wanted a steel tub that was rust free. This tub was gone through with all new steel. Knowing that there aren’t 3 layers of 50-year old steel stacked together along the middle of the tub made this one very attractive to me. The driver floor pan, mid bed, rear bed and will, quarters, rockers, bed supports and fender braces were all replaced with new. The work is way better than I could have done. It was literally done by a sculpture artist. Most of the welds are TIG and are too pretty to grind. The only error I’ve found is the thickness of the big support structure that spans the width of the tub Behind the seats. Instead of reusing the old stamping, he fabricated a new beam and the body mounts are about 3/8 of an inch too proud. I just cut off the flanges and will weld on flat ones. The rest of the mounts lined up nicely with no hogging of the body holes necessary.

7F28AF0F-E380-445F-BD36-003374F76746.jpeg

1952CD65-679A-4356-AE8D-00E622885DA5.jpeg

Very nice, not going to spray the bottom of the tub?

Very nice, not going to spray the bottom of the tub?
Oh yes. It will get a heat blocking product like lizard skin on the bottom and the firewall. Body and paint will wait until I have the mechanical work done.

More work done this past week- I realized the original steering box won’t even come close to fitting with the 5.3L, and decided to go with Saginaw steering. Was able to get the plate from @cruiseroutfit along with a pitman arm, drag link and drag link end. Wish I hadn’t already replaced all the TREs and rebuilt the center arm! Kurt was out of stock on the steering shaft kit, but I needed an extra u-joint anyway so I pieced it all together with parts from Speeedway. Amazon brought me the Cardone 27-6537 steering box.
I dug in and mocked everything up, then @kc_chevota came over and helped me finish it up. We set the toe in for 1/8” for the 33” tires I’m planning. A few more welds and a bracket for the support bearing and then I just need hoses.

79B423E2-7932-45BC-8DEA-44FA1982ADE3.jpeg

4A7D4DF4-2D28-40FD-85C1-747E4E39FC61.jpeg

Rob put the OEM parking brake hardware together while I dug out the brake handle and got it mounted. We re-installed the rear driveshaft which barely fit. Still thinking I’ll probably need a double Cardin due to the angles. At least I’ve got two driveshafts that will enable me to drive this thing when it’s running.
Progress continues on the fuel system. I bought a new OEM tank from the dealer and cut a 4” hole to install a fuel pump for a 2003 Tahoe FFV. My engine is from a Flex Fuel Suburban, so just for giggles I thought I’d use a flex fuel pump. I bought the inside ring from Tanks, Inc. and had the outer ring made by the guys at Send Cut Send. I went on their website and designed it using their online parts builder in literally two minutes. They laser cut it out of stainless steel and shipped it to me in a couple days.

A9F9D365-7A94-4D96-A289-D969EB4EAB6C.jpeg

5EB3539D-8EFD-4CB4-98DB-2173D3D2D2D4.jpeg

8F95BDBA-49BA-4517-BF6F-B138EDA32808.jpeg

5D77AEC6-37C6-4255-ABED-BA8BF91C5026.jpeg

I feel you are ready for some pics on how bad this was rusted lol. I really did not want to buy this FJ but Bob insisted. The chlorine had eaten away so much metal, I've never seen a worse rust bucket since. Looks wonderful now!

8E3F9550-8312-4CF7-9F63-210D7911BA72.JPG

19A9FA8D-F373-440C-B734-1192E1A7B464.JPG

20D87105-471A-459E-962E-20186145779D.JPG

81B77937-D592-4936-81C9-EC9A18946629.JPG

2569E496-262C-4B28-8B58-257C73FC92B4.JPG

I feel you are ready for some pics on how bad this was rusted lol. I really did not want to buy this FJ but Bob insisted. The chlorine had eaten away so much metal, I've never seen a worse rust bucket since. Looks wonderful now!

View attachment 2964223

View attachment 2964224

View attachment 2964225

View attachment 2964226

View attachment 2964227
Wow. I knew it was a pool service guy's truck and figured the chemicals really did a number on the tub but that's even worse than I thought. I feel so lucky to have found essentially a brand new, all-steel tub with zero rust made out of Real Steel parts. I had it blasted inside and out and primed with PPG epoxy and will treat all the cavities with Eastwood frame treatment. Considering the fact that I don't plan to drive it when it rains, it should last another hundred years!

I’m furiously buying parts and setting aside so I can keep things moving along. Bending new brake lines now and fitting up the roll bar I bought from Metaltech.
Looking at different options for seat covers. My KC Friends with 40s have nice ones from Cruiser Corps. I see LSeat.com has a set in leather for $349. Leaning toward black just because it’s so universal and easier to match than gray. My original seats look like they may have already been recovered once- any idea if this is original upholstery?

41F13855-823F-4694-9A5F-E78D8F5B7D38.jpeg

Also managed to find a wench- I mean wrinch- or is it winch?
Whatever it’s called, it’s going on the bumper when I get one.

5D845A1B-BFAB-4263-8A78-23F5A394DB6F.png

B49BDAC6-F181-49AA-9279-39AC075BDFD0.jpeg

Also managed to find a wench- I mean wrinch- or is it winch?
Whatever it’s called, it’s going on the bumper when I get one.

Public service announcement:

Wench:

happy-beer-wench.jpg

Winch:

IMG_0785.JPG

I had a busy day after working all night. Picked up my last two wheels from My local Toyota dealer.

Modified my proportioning valve bracket for the Wilwood piece. Cut out my fuel tank cover for the EFI pump. Drilled out broken bolts in the floor. Clearanced the passenger seat to fit over the fuel pump/fittings.

7056931C-ED69-47FF-821C-1EBAEC352255.jpeg

3120C2E1-A9EA-428C-8F8B-B03E0920DE3A.jpeg

28AACB5B-8520-414C-8541-B549D18352BF.jpeg

Good morning 1MAC,
I am excited about your build. I am in the midst of a similar build here in Colorado. I am running a 5.3l out of a 2004 Silverado. I chose to go with the 4l60E out of the same truck. I also went with a split case built by Georg as well. Unfortunately my tub is shot and with the prices of steel tubs I am leaning toward the Aqualu. Maybe I will get lucky in the weeks to come and allocate one as nice as you found. You have also now motivated me to begin my build thread. I am currently uploading the collection of pictures I have to get started. Well I am looking forward to following your work.
Cheers
ZFJ40
Subscribed!

Brakes are done!
I started the brake upgrade several months ago, with a non-ABS 80 series master and a new booster, which I finally got adjusted and mated together this weekend. Repurposed the proportioning valve bracket to hold the Wilwood piece. The front calipers are 4Runner, and the rears are Monte Carlo. I replaced most of the hard lines and all of the hoses, and eliminated the backing plates. Georg set up my split case with a parking brake, and I freshened it up with new OEM shoes. I hooked up the handle yesterday and now have it working.

830427B4-15F0-4471-99B5-AFD735F76AC7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom