All terrain tire comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I placed an order through Tirebuyer.com for a set of 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. According to the rep they're in stock at the local warehouse, and I should be able to get them put on the truck tonight. Going skiing tomorrow which should be a good test of highway and winter conditions right off the bat!

I placed an order through Tirebuyer.com for a set of 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. According to the rep they're in stock at the local warehouse, and I should be able to get them put on the truck tonight. Going skiing tomorrow which should be a good test of highway and winter conditions right off the bat!

Nice. Very interested in what they'll measure on the truck as they list 33.9 on 10" wide wheels. If they are close to 34, it might convince me to hold off on "35s."

they should be 33.5" on the truck. maybe a hair lower due to the added weight of the bumper.
@mcgaskins, mine were a little wobbly the first 200-300 miles then broke in nicely. There is definitely a hum over 50mph, but they do exceptionally well on road and off.

went out and measured my tread depth today at lunch: 5 tire rotation, admittedly not done enough (12K each time)
tread depths : 13/32, 12/32, 9/32, 8/32, 6/32
they have 30K on them. A lot of city driving and a few trips from AZ to cali and one trip to Ouray.

went out and measured my tread depth today at lunch: 5 tire rotation, admittedly not done enough (12K each time)
tread depths : 13/32, 12/32, 9/32, 8/32, 6/32
they have 30K on them. A lot of city driving and a few trips from AZ to cali and one trip to Ouray.

Your sig says Toyo ATIIs. Do you actually have Ridge Grapplers?

Not yet. Planning on next tire to be Ridge grapples.

Key word there is, "seemingly..." :hillbilly:

Not sue there's any room to stuff if wider... Looky Beamin's photos...
Pay the dude on Craigslist $100 to come over and roll your fenders! +++ Fender ROLLING +++

BTW I would be willing to be the guinea pig and do this when I eventually move to 35s. That will be a while however since I'm only at 10k on my KO2s and won't upgrade until I need new tires. Until then... please carry on!

Update: Another hour or so of driving today on my Ridge Grapplers and they continue to amaze me in the short time I have owned them. Again, very quiet and balanced very well. They track nicely, and am looking forward to see how they handle in the rain/snow which apparently I get to find out after 6-8" drops here in upstate NY Tuesday. Overall, I am just very impressed with how compliant these tires are and the fact that they look amazing is a bonus. For those that are looking for an aggressive AT or hybrid, I strongly suggest you give these a look.

IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG

Just got mine on and I'm very impressed. Extremely quiet, smooth ride, and best of all - zero rubbing. Barely lost any height but gained ~.25" of clearance on the UCA and KDSS. I can feel the difference in weight for sure at -5 lbs vs the Toyos. Very pleased!

View attachment 1417952 View attachment 1417953 View attachment 1417954

Just got mine on and I'm very impressed. Extremely quiet, smooth ride, and best of all - zero rubbing. Barely lost any height but gained ~.25" of clearance on the UCA and KDSS. I can feel the difference in weight for sure at -5 lbs vs the Toyos. Very pleased!
Wow! Really no rubbing on the passenger side sway bar? My 295/70r17s rub at full lock to the left. If those tires are 100% good, I'll sell my current tires right now and get the ridge grapplers in that size. Love this forums.

Edit: I see you have sway bar relocation. I return mine because I didn't want to cut apart the ARB winch bar brackets. I think the 285/75r17 might still not work for me.

Wow! Really no rubbing on the passenger side sway bar? My 295/70r17s rub at full lock to the left. If those tires are 100% good, I'll sell my current tires right now and get the ridge grapplers in that size. Love this forums.

Edit: I see you have sway bar relocation. I return mine because I didn't want to cut apart the ARB winch bar brackets. I think the 285/75r17 might still not work for me.
It feels like there's a decent bit of clearance so you may be ok. I put 150 miles on the tires today and totally love them. Had to maneuver the ski parking lot which is really tight and enjoyed having no rubbing when the wheel is cranked.

View attachment 1417952 View attachment 1417953 View attachment 1417954

I was looking at these tires as well. I'm going 285/65/18 or 275/70/18. Still have not decided yet. My number one tire is the BFG KO2. The reason is because of the snow rating. Has anyone taken the Nitto Ridge Grappler in snow? How did they perform?
What's you opinion on my tire choices?
Thanks brah!

I was looking at these tires as well. I'm going 285/65/18 or 275/70/18. Still have not decided yet. My number one tire is the BFG KO2. The reason is because of the snow rating. Has anyone taken the Nitto Ridge Grappler in snow? How did they perform?
What's you opinion on my tire choices?
Thanks brah!

KO2s are hard to beat if they have your size. I had 275/70/18 Duratracs on the OEM wheels and they rubbed worse than the 35x12.50x17 Toyos on RWs. Keep that in mind with that size...

I was hoping to test mine the snow today, but driving through the mountains it's a perfect blue bird day and almost 50 degrees!

KO2s are hard to beat if they have your size. I had 275/70/18 Duratracs on the OEM wheels and they rubbed worse than the 35x12.50x17 Toyos on RWs. Keep that in mind with that size...

I was hoping to test mine the snow today, but driving through the mountains it's a perfect blue bird day and almost 50 degrees!
Were the 275/70/18 rubbing on stock suspension? I'm planning Tough Dog with UCA's
Thanks for the help.

It feels like there's a decent bit of clearance so you may be ok. I put 150 miles on the tires today and totally love them. Had to maneuver the ski parking lot which is really tight and enjoyed having no rubbing when the wheel is cranked.
Would you mind taking a picture of the tire at full lock toward the sway bar? I think that will tell the story if I can clear without pushing the bar forward.

Would you mind taking a picture of the tire at full lock toward the sway bar? I think that will tell the story if I can clear without pushing the bar forward.

X2

Keep me posted . Thanks.

Lookin' for some @gaijin love here. The Nitto Ridge Grappler in 285/75r17 comes in both C and E load ratings.

E's are rated for 3195@ 80 psi
C's are rated for 2835@ 50 psi

These will be mounted on rock warrior wheels. My truck is heavy, I've done an Australian GVM upgrade so my heaviest legal GVWR is 8,375 lbs. I'll be pushing that weight regularly. Could I get away with C load tires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom