All terrain tire comparison (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I already did that ;) Only way at this point to keep them from rubbing is to change the offset of the wheel/new wheels, add spacers or reduce steering limits by adding stops. None of those is appealing to me because I don't want to change the turning radius.

Hmmm... Now you've got me wondering if 35" Ridge Grapplers will still hit if I do KDSS relocation. They are pretty wide as well, and I run RW wheels like you...

Hmmm... Now you've got me wondering if 35" Ridge Grapplers will still hit if I do KDSS relocation. They are pretty wide as well, and I run RW wheels like you...

My Toyos also rub at full lock, so my thought is that really anything ~12.3" or wider will contact unless modifications are made. I love the height and extra clearance, but I don't like the width. I really wish there was a 35x10.50x17 or 35x11.50x17 - that would be perfect!

My Toyos also rub at full lock, so my thought is that really anything ~12.3" or wider will contact unless modifications are made. I love the height and extra clearance, but I don't like the width. I really wish there was a 35x10.50x17 or 35x11.50x17 - that would be perfect!

Maybe these:

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 1.24.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 1.24.37 PM.png

I have those exact tires listed as option 3 in my table...

I'll be very interested to see what you end up fitting, as it looks like our 200's may end up near twins by Summer...

I started to see slight cracking on my older KOs some years ago... Perhaps the KO2s addressed this...? I'm 2 years and 35k miles in on my KO2's & they are crack-free.

Hopefully the cracking in the KOs has been addressed. I'll double check mine, but IIRC, they are in great shape. A great 3 season tire.

Careful with the Falkens, the stated size like discussed in other sections are off reasonably. For my 285/70/17s their website stated 33 and when I measured mine later it was really like 32. I can check again when I get home for the exact measurement if you like but I cant imagine the going from a 70 to a 75 is going to add 1.9"

Careful with the Falkens, the stated size like discussed in other sections are off reasonably. For my 285/70/17s their website stated 33 and when I measured mine later it was really like 32. I can check again when I get home for the exact measurement if you like but I cant imagine the going from a 70 to a 75 is going to add 1.9"

Right... Which is why I persist in asking people for on-truck measurements. It's frustrating, ain't it??

So if your 12.5" wide ko2s rub...how is @WillyBeamin fitting the Nitto Trails that are actually WIDER?
And what's different about your rig if anything...oe are KO2's somehow bulging in the wrong places?

He's also on RW wheels...
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 2.01.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 2.01.36 PM.png

IMG_0131.JPG

So if your 12.5" wide ko2s rub...how is @WillyBeamin fitting the Nitto Trails that are actually WIDER?
And what's different about your rig if anything...oe are KO2's somehow bulging in the wrong places?

He's also on RW wheels...
View attachment 1417221

View attachment 1417223

View attachment 1417224
I'll jump in here real quick and then @Willy beamin can jump in an correct me if I'm wrong on some of this. Willy has been looking for a narrower tire and has also been looking at small wheel spacer options for the front of his rig to pull them out a bit(back in line with the rears) and also to help with the rubbing on the UCA and KDSS bar. All of us running 34's and 35's kiss that bar to an extent, just look at all of ours, they are scuffed and a bit rusted. It's a balancing act running bigger tires on these 200's, but the small rub here or there is usually totally worth it, IMO! This is also why I have been calling on someone to start making a reshaped KDSS bar for us, I think that would be a game changer!
Willy'srig.jpg

I'll jump in here real quick and then @Willy beamin can jump in an correct me if I'm wrong on some of this. Willy has been looking for a narrower tire and has also been looking at small wheel spacer options for the front of his rig to pull them out a bit(back in line with the rears) and also to help with the rubbing on the UCA and KDSS bar. All of us running 34's and 35's kiss that bar to an extent, just look at all of ours, they are scuffed and a bit rusted. It's a balancing act running bigger tires on these 200's, but the small rub here or there is usually totally worth it, IMO! This is also why I have been calling on someone to start making a reshaped KDSS bar for us, I think that would be a game changer!
View attachment 1417246

Thanks Ken. I wondered if he was rubbing as I'm pretty sure Slee's LX with Nitto Trails rubs...not to mention that's on an LX with only AHC rather than a lift--though lifting doesn't help KDSS.

Personally, I'm not too concerned if there is a little touch at full turn. If we're at full turn, it's unlikely we're moving very fast, and the rub shouldn't do real damage... hmmm...

+1 on the reshaped KDSS bar!

Last edited:

Any chance you could shoot a photo of where the KO2's were hitting? Maybe it will show up as a clean spot in there? Would also be helpful to know what spot on the tire hit worst.

Any chance you could shoot a photo of where the KO2's were hitting? Maybe it will show up as a clean spot in there? Would also be helpful to know what spot on the tire hit worst.

For all intents and purposes the KO2s are the same size as my AT2s, but the KO2s rubbed slightly less. Here are shots of both front wheels and where they rub the sway bars. They clear the frame ok, but I haven't been able to see what they're like fully flexed. It's actually a bit annoying since the tires would fit pretty well without the massive KDSS system there, but I wouldn't want to ditch it.

IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG

View attachment 1417246
Good explanation! And to echo @Markuson if we're at full lock at speed then something else bad is happening. Lol

For all intents and purposes the KO2s are the same size as my AT2s, but the KO2s rubbed slightly less. Here are shots of both front wheels and where they rub the sway bars. They clear the frame ok, but I haven't been able to see what they're like fully flexed. It's actually a bit annoying since the tires would fit pretty well without the massive KDSS system there, but I wouldn't want to ditch it.

View attachment 1417284 View attachment 1417285 View attachment 1417286 View attachment 1417287 View attachment 1417288

Thank you. And ya...that must be frustrating indeed.

Removing the sway bar isn't bad if the wheels (knuckles with wheels off) are level with respect to one another.
Remove the linkages and there is no torque on the bar.
Then just use a floor jack to line everything up for installation.
Looking at the pictures, it seems like a shorter sway bar is needed. Not sure if it would clear the frame if it were shorter.

The seemingly simple solution is to widen the stance.

:flipoff2:

The seemingly simple solution is to widen the stance.

:flipoff2:

Key word there is, "seemingly..." :hillbilly:

Not sue there's any room to stuff if wider... Looky Beamin's photos...

Last edited:
The Nitto trail grappler in the 35x12.5x17 measures 13.19" in width. A tire that wide works, you know it will rub at full lock, it will tuck and still turn - Moab and Ouray proved that two years in a row. Start your focus on 13.9" width tire on RW wheels and work your math down from there. The beauty about the Slee swaybar relocation bracket is that's its just one item added to the mix and it works. I'm excited to see what becomes of a KDSS bar redesign. The jury is still out on the Tundra conversion for me. I like to roll phat tires and tuck them like shirt tails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom