all-terrain or mud-terrain that dont ruin the ride (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 1999 LX470 that rides really well on Michelin HWY tread lite terrain tires. i actually love the ride, its a new purchase and i wasnt expecting such an old car to ride so well ...

anyway... my only experience with all terrain and/or mud terrain tires is when I put BFG Trac-Edge (a mix of an all terrain center strip and mud terrain sidewalls and sidestrips) on an older range rover (that also had a really nice ride until i did that).

Not sure if Trac-Edge still exists but the idea was that, properly inflated, it was a mud terrain that rode as well as the BFG All-Terrains ... well having never actually owned BFG All-Terrains, all i can say is i hope that isnt the case because it rode like a truck after that tire switch and probably never went over 75mph again.

i dont go off-road often, but i definitely want at least an "allterrain" tire for my LX (that i commute in) for when I do. I would go mud terrain if anyone knew of one that wouldnt totally butcher everything mannerly about the LX470 and make it into essentially the same ride as a jacked up chevy silverado.

Basically looking for best riding tire that is capable off road here. I definitely want at least BFG all-terrain capabilities.

Also looking at 33x10.50 size if anyone wants to comment on that separately or about how that size would specifically ride in various tire types on my ride that is totally stock suspension AHC right now.

thanks
!!!

i have a 1999 LX470 that rides really well on Michelin HWY tread lite terrain tires. i actually love the ride, its a new purchase and i wasnt expecting such an old car to ride so well ...

anyway... my only experience with all terrain and/or mud terrain tires is when I put BFG Trac-Edge (a mix of an all terrain center strip and mud terrain sidewalls and sidestrips) on an older range rover (that also had a really nice ride until i did that).

Not sure if Trac-Edge still exists but the idea was that, properly inflated, it was a mud terrain that rode as well as the BFG All-Terrains ... well having never actually owned BFG All-Terrains, all i can say is i hope that isnt the case because it rode like a truck after that tire switch and probably never went over 75mph again.

i dont go off-road often, but i definitely want at least an "allterrain" tire for my LX (that i commute in) for when I do. I would go mud terrain if anyone knew of one that wouldnt totally butcher everything mannerly about the LX470 and make it into essentially the same ride as a jacked up chevy silverado.

Basically looking for best riding tire that is capable off road here. I definitely want at least BFG all-terrain capabilities.

Also looking at 33x10.50 size if anyone wants to comment on that separately or about how that size would specifically ride in various tire types on my ride that is totally stock suspension AHC right now.

thanks
!!!
I've been real happy with my Nitto Terra Grapplers. On my 3rd set. Decent off road here in the desert, and we do cross county road trips on then as well.

33x10.50 is going to be tough. Assuming you still have the stock 16" wheels, you'd have to go 255/85/16, and most of those are E-rated, which "generally" harsher riding. If you're not off road much, the Michelin LTX AT II aren't a bad choice. They don't look all macho, but do exceedingly well on road, and surprisingly well off road, and last forever.

I've been real happy with my Nitto Terra Grapplers. On my 3rd set. Decent off road here in the desert, and we do cross county road trips on then as well.

33x10.50 is going to be tough. Assuming you still have the stock 16" wheels, you'd have to go 255/85/16, and most of those are E-rated, which "generally" harsher riding. If you're not off road much, the Michelin LTX AT II aren't a bad choice. They don't look all macho, but do exceedingly well on road, and surprisingly well off road, and last forever.

i can go bigger than 255/85/16, right ?

Ive seen a number of people around this site talking about 285 being the biggest that will fit .... seen some people say that 35" ones will fit too... kinda confused about the wide difference in opinion on the matter honestly

ive never seen michelin ATs

will check them out

In my experience, you are going to lose some comfort moving from a p-metric to a LT tire. (That being said, I'm just fine with KO2s on my LX.)

The last time I looked at the 255/85R16, the tire selection was pretty limited and mainly MT tires.

Define what you mean by bigger...

For example, a 285/75R16 (32.8") is about the same height as the 255/85R16 (33"), but about 1.25" wider.

You won't be dissapointed with the ride quality of the KO2 as a daily driver, hwy tire, and very capable off-road tire.

Most favor the KO2 (dang nice tire). I have the Nitto TerraGrapplers (not the G2 version) and love them. Super grippy in offroad conditions and very well mannered on the road (quiet and comfortable at 75mph). For reference, mine are 285/65/18. I don't think you can go wrong with either the KO2 or the TerraGrappler

i can go bigger than 255/85/16, right ?

Ive seen a number of people around this site talking about 285 being the biggest that will fit .... seen some people say that 35" ones will fit too... kinda confused about the wide difference in opinion on the matter honestly

ive never seen michelin ATs

will check them out
yes, you can go bigger. I run 295/75/16's. 285/75/16 is very common to run. Lots of info on here, and in the tire/wheel section.

I had these on a Ford pickup years ago and they were quite loud. Have they changed these?

Are you sure you didn't have the KO? The KO2 get rave reviews on road manners (for an AT tire). The KO, not so much.

Yes they were the KO. This was probably 10 years ago.

Yeah, the KO2 is a significantly different beast. Much, much better across the boards according to everything I've read. I'd bet 60% of the guys on this forum run the KO2 with the other 40% being split between TrailGrapplers, Generals, Coopers and Toyo.

IMG_5290.JPG
I am a fan of the Cooper Discover AT3. I have them on my 100. 285/75R16
Ride great on pavement and do well off road. They have a 2ply sidewall vs the 3ply of the KO2 so some folks are shy to run them but they've never let me down.

yes, you can go bigger. I run 295/75/16's. 285/75/16 is very common to run. Lots of info on here, and in the tire/wheel section.

any chance you can gimme a pic of the 295's on your ride ?

... oh and you are saying you run 295's with a stock suspension 100 series LC ... or an LX (is their a difference in standard driving stock suspension height?)

thanx

View attachment 1466372 I am a fan of the Cooper Discover AT3. I have them on my 100. 285/75R16
Ride great on pavement and do well off road. They have a 2ply sidewall vs the 3ply of the KO2 so some folks are shy to run them but they've never let me down.

could be wrong about this but, i like but i think i want tires just a smidgen more mud capable than those look (i know i'll regret this in the end). thanx for the info though.

You would agree that BFG AT's tread is a little meaner looking; right ? Those are about the roughness im looking for.

anyone have an opinion on these? i still read the landrover forums and these are popular in there:

views-grabber.png

these are the ones that I am trying to find something similiar to (by the way, the new BFG AT KO2's are looking pretty good):

bfgtracedge.jpg

i think these actually look like the closest thing available today to that tread - they are all starting to look the same to me though :)

I really like these Cooper STT Pros tires too.

DiscovererSTTPro_Full.png

You want the looks of a mud tire but you actually want a road tire. You need the Duratrac's from Goodyear. I LOVED mine, I am running BFG's KO's now but the KO2 is supposed to be even nicer. However, I'd go back to Duratracs in a NY minute.

Another vote for the Discoverer AT3's - I read a ton of reviews (including outside mud!) before buying mine and have been extremely pleased with relatively low road noise, but great (seriously, great) traction through this last winter, our worst of 25 years here in Central Oregon. I chose road manners over looks as I expect to take some long trips on them, such as HIH this year;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom